New 'Winged Encounters - The Kingdom Takes Flight' macaw experience will open at Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

Any new animals being brought out at AK is a good thing.
My step father in law was talking with a Flights of Wonder CM in March and the CM was talking about how they were training macaws to make large circles around the Tree of Life and return. My initial thought was that it would be a part of the nighttime show, but this was a nice surprise. Even if it's something small, I'm looking forward to it.

The Empress Lilly

This sounds great! I love this sort of stuff!

I can laugh at the ridiculous name, and remember previous shows that were lost, but overall this is simply a net gain. DAK needs animals, some show, some magic.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
This sounds great! I love this sort of stuff!

I can laugh at the ridiculous name, and remember previous shows that were lost, but overall this is simply a net gain. DAK needs animals, some show, some magic.
I agree!
I really think that the biggest benefit here is the visual that will be gained by coming over the bridge from the Oasis, getting to see the Tree of Life for that "first" time, and happening to catch a macaw making it's loop around the island. If this works out right, it's going to be my favorite little "plus" in quite a while.

The Empress Lilly

I want penguins :grumpy:

Only just noticed there is no Arctic area lol
Meh. The thing with penguins is that you have to keep them indoors.* Florida is the subtropics. You'd end up like that more ocean based 'nature' park down the road, which now has both an Arctic and an Antarctic section, filled with miserable polar animals kept permanently indoors.
Nice colourful tropical birds fare much better!

*unless you use Galapagos penguins, who could be kept in Florida. But alas, they are not the kind of penguins tourists expect to see, so they get Antarctic ones. So people fly to the tropics from the snow of Illinois and Northern Europe to visit snow animals kept permanently in fake snow and artificial light.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Meh. The thing with penguins is that you have to keep them indoors.* Florida is the subtropics. You'd end up like that more ocean based 'nature' park down the road, which now has both an Arctic and an Antarctic section, filled with miserable polar animals kept permanently indoors.
Nice colourful tropical birds fare much better!

*unless you use Galapagos penguins, who could be kept in Florida. But alas, they are not the kind of penguins tourists expect to see, so they get Antarctic ones. So people fly to the tropics from the snow of Illinois and Northern Europe to visit snow animals kept permanently in fake snow and artificial light.

Plus, and I have not been to the SeaWorld in FL in decades, but based on my experience in multiple aquariums, penguins STINK. The entire enclosure area ends up reeking of penguin (for lack of a better term), and really takes me away from the time I'd love to spend watching them.

I think that one of the things that DAK does best, especially in the Oasis area, is trying to incorporate the animals into the surroundings so that they don't look like they are in enclosures. Seeing tropical birds flying around is really going to add to that. It's going to make me greedy for more of this type of thing though.

DoTheImpossible

Very nice, additions like this can really round out an experience. If they could bring the flying dragon into NFL, at least at night and something similar that looks like a Banshee into Pandora, that'd be incredible.

Figments Friend

All 4 of the WDW parks need these smaller types of offerings for the guests to enjoy. I always read posts from the WDW veterans on this forum that speak about free activities that were everywhere in the MK back in the 70s/early 80s. Supposedly, everywhere you looked on MSUSA, for example, there was something going on for the guests to experience.

Hopefully this type of thing is replicated.

This still takes place on a daily basis at a little Park out in California called *Disneyland*.
:)

J_Carioca

I saw the practice for this in October! We were walking through Asia just between Yak and Yeti and Flights of Wonder and saw the macaws fly over and towards the tree of life. It was great.

Little Green Men

This still takes place on a daily basis at a little Park out in California called *Disneyland*.
:)

WDW has these still. MK has the Barbershop quartet, the piano player outside Casey's, the Mayor of Main Street. EPCOT has these in most World Showcase pavilions, from mariachi bands to Voices of Liberty and the Jammitors in Future World. While DHS has streetmosphere on Hollywood and Sunset.

wdrive

WDW has these still. MK has the Barbershop quartet, the piano player outside Casey's, the Mayor of Main Street. EPCOT has these in most World Showcase pavilions, from mariachi bands to Voices of Liberty and the Jammitors in Future World. While DHS has streetmosphere on Hollywood and Sunset.

While you are very correct, Disneyland still blows WDW out of the water in terms of street entertainment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom