Marketplace Co Op coming to Downtown Disney in early 2014

polynesiangirl

I'll throw in my two cents and say that I wish they had less Disney merchandise at DTD. You can buy stuff with Mickey on it literally everywhere else in WDW and these days 99% of the Disney merchandise in DTD is repeated elsewhere on property. I always liked going to DTD to shop at non-Disney places. It made for a nice semi-break from the Disney saturation without having to actually leave the property.

eddieh

I'll throw in my two cents and say that I wish they had less Disney merchandise at DTD. You can buy stuff with Mickey on it literally everywhere else in WDW and these days 99% of the Disney merchandise in DTD is repeated elsewhere on property. I always liked going to DTD to shop at non-Disney places. It made for a nice semi-break from the Disney saturation without having to actually leave the property.
On the other hand, some guests go to DTD to find the items that they had forgotten/now want that they saw in the parks. I think it's important to have both related and non-related merchandise as a good mix.

OnyxNine

I was thinking the same thing. It would have been nice to go into a store and see some other case options than just iPhones. The only case I could get for my Galaxy S3 was a bedazzled Minnie Mouse. o_O Not everyone owns an iCrap.

Agreed. Custom case = big win.

Stitch, darkwing duck, gargoyles....i must be dreaming. Probably it will be the same boring characters :(

slappy magoo

Marketplace Co-op is the most generic white-bread name I think I've heard for a new store in years. Why not call it Blandco, a subsidiary of Meh, Inc.?

While I know PI isn't ever coming back and the elements that worked couldn't sustain the elements that didn't, I think there needs to be some more entertaining elements in there, the sort of thing that makes it more of a destination for people who aren't about shopping. Sure, you've got the movies playing by and large the same movies playing in any other mall multiplex in America (albeit with perhaps better audio and an option for dine-in service). Yes, there's DisneyQuest, an indoor interactive entertainment experience so dated, the AA's in Carousel of Progress laugh at it. The restaurants have cool themes and from what I hear there are performers at Raglan Road (never at the times I've been, though). Cirque is about it for can't see this just anywhere entertainment. And then there's Splitsville.

I once wrote (in all seriousness) that I'd love for the large meeting space at Saratoga to stop being used for DVC model units, because I feel that for the dues we pay there should be more unique offerings made to guests (I know, ain't gonna happen) and I suggested a dinner theater, to complement Hoop De Do and the Poly Luau, a show-within-a-show where it's by and large a horse-racing themed vaudevillian type show, but we also see things supposedly happening behind the scenes as well, performers who are dating on the sly, grande dames trying to get a little extra stage time, stagehands who are clumsy and "Gilligan"-ing up the proceedings, etc. Since that'll never happen, I still think a dinner theater or dessert theater would be a great complement to the area. Better still, near where I work, there is a former movie multiplex that was converted to small off-Broadway sized theatrical venues, the New World Stages. I saw Evil Dead-the Musical there a while back. It's set up makes it relatively easy for shows to set up and move out, and there's always something to see there. I think it's a great template for more entertainment options in DtD. They can use it for intimate revues, sillier shows, comedy geared to adults, and even workshop future adaptations of Disney movies (coming soon, Brother Bear the Musical?). I know some people are born to shop, but at no point have I ever been on property and thought "Gee, I wish there were more places to spend my money." Especially in Orlando, which I believe is Apache for "Land of a Million Outlet Malls." Maybe a few less shops and a few more Things To Do is what the area needs.

G00fyDad

Any idea if the D-Tech On Demand offers something for those of us that do not flock to the Apple Store every time a new iOS is put out? More people have Android phones than Apple. I know that it means offering more types of cases, but they could at least offer Galaxy S3, S4, S5, and Note 3 cases. They sell as much, or more than iPhones anyway.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Any idea if the D-Tech On Demand offers something for those of us that do not flock to the Apple Store every time a new iOS is put out? More people have Android phones than Apple. I know that it means offering more types of cases, but they could at least offer Galaxy S3, S4, S5, and Note 3 cases. They sell as much, or more than iPhones anyway.

I was wondering the same thing. Every time I look for a Disney case for my Droid, I'm always annoyed with how little product they offer for the Android devices.

Android may be the most sold operating system, but there are so many different Android devices, making it very difficult to support with cases.

With the iPhone, there are only a couple of models, so I think it will always be the dominant device type when it comes to these types of accessories.

trentino

Apparently there are custom phone cases for every Disney Resort! Can someone please post photos of what each style of case looks like? I saw a photo of the Aulani case on another site and it looked amazing but it was hard to make out all the other styles for Boardwalk, Fort Wilderness, etc. I'd love to see them all.

Bolt

Apparently there are custom phone cases for every Disney Resort! Can someone please post photos of what each style of case looks like? I saw a photo of the Aulani case on another site and it looked amazing but it was hard to make out all the other styles for Boardwalk, Fort Wilderness, etc. I'd love to see them all.
DVC resorts only.

psherman42

On the other hand, some guests go to DTD to find the items that they had forgotten/now want that they saw in the parks. I think it's important to have both related and non-related merchandise as a good mix.
Yep, this. And there are also the guests who don't have park tickets but want to do something Disney. Then they go to Downtown Disney. I think it's important to have a balance.

tirian

Thanks Steve. Fair warning, When I spend $1200 dollars on those signs in September I'm telling my wife you made me do it.

Be prepared for a strongly worded e mail from Mrs. Jones around mid October.
Fair warning: check the quality of the screen print before you splurge. The print jobs are inconsistent from one to another.

Part of me notices that except for D-Tech, this is the exact same stuff you can find anywhere else. Lots of the merch will end up on clearance in Cast Connection because Disney typically makes silly production decisions, like cups and plates not being dishwasher safe.

But I do think this store is a good idea, and maybe (over time) it will be filled with unique Disney merch that strikes the right balance between price and desirability.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom