Main Street U.S.A. concrete replacement project begins tomorrow

G00fyDad

Thanks for sticking up for me! Although I'm not that thin-skinned.
I suppose it takes people like us who knew the world before 1989 to understand that Red Square association!

Secondly, I have slowly come to regret my user name somewhat. The Empress Lilly is a former WDW steamship. But whereas nearly all ships are named after females, nearly all lovers of steamtrains and steamships are male, not female.
And in turn, that member named 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride' is a woman.

Good lord. As long as I have known you here I have always thought you were female because of the Lilly. I just always thought that was a play on a real name of Lilly. LOL

The Empress Lilly

Did you really mean "quality" of garbage cans or "quantity." If quality, that's pretty low on my list of things to look for.
Quality. The devil is in the details.

Also, classic WDW had handpainted garbage cans, of phenomenal quality, of unique intricate designs. Unlike the modern bland industrial ones, they were not something one would overlook. Instead, they were a marvel of the World.

The Empress Lilly

Good lord. As long as I have known you here I have always thought you were female because of the Lilly. I just always thought that was a play on a real name of Lilly. LOL
I know. It's annoying, poor user name I guess.

My name is intended as a permanent criticism of one of the great declines of WDW. They had a beautiful riverboat, sat in a Southern setting, with live music on board, and destroyed it for a concrete franchise restaurant. On the nineteenth century paddlewheel steam ship they removed the churning paddlewheel and the (steam engine!) smokestacks but added big neon signs.

empress_lilly_08_snyder.jpg

Last edited:

G00fyDad

I know. It's annoying, poor user name I guess.

My name is intended as a permanent criticism of one of the great declines of WDW. They had a beautiful riverboat, sat in a Southern setting, with live music on board, and destroyed it for a concrete franchise restaurant with big neon signs.

empress_lilly_08_snyder.jpg

I agree. The Disney of old is nothing like the Disney younger people know. It almost breaks my heart to see some of the things that have happened. But of course I just keep telling myself that it will never be like it once was. All we can hope for is for upper-management to leave and something better and different to take the place of the drab and dreary that is there now.

LL2WDW

Another point of view is fine, but try not sounding like a d-bag when you do it. I mean, you came into the discussion sounding like you were surprised she even bothered to post something so stupid. My point here is that you might want to consider that you have a handful of posts under your belt and you should probably get a better handle on who knows what around here. She never said anything truly derogatory about the space. She offered her opinion and you text-slapped her for it. Hey, we're happy to have a new face around here, but lighten up a little. ;)

My apologies to Empress Lilly, and for sounding like a d-bag (which, after reading back this morning, I can see I truly was).

Wikkler

MainStreet.jpg

main_street.jpg

Edit: for the connaisseurs: do you note the dimishing of the forced perspective? In the top picture the castle appears much taller than in the bottom one.
The top picture was taken closer to the castle...
Nevermind, it's already been pointed out before

Last edited:

wogwog

In the earliest days of especially DL, but also WDW, MS DID look like an actual street to many visitors. After all, the MS time period was only a few decades old back then. Many of the older guests had actually known the MS time period, and the younger ones were much closer to MS's time period than we are today.

As a funny consequence, when the parks weren't too crowded, often the guests would all walk on the sidewalks, leaving the street empty. A real street in a real town. So adorable! :)

MS, early seventies:
WDW-124%20-%20Main%20Street%20&%20Cinderella%20Castle.jpg

For the connaisseurs: no strollers, no kids, average age of fifty, all fit and slender, people dressing up instead of dressing down to visit Disney. A more elegant audience for a more sophisticated park.
The bench in Town Square brings a nostalgic tear to my eye. I sat on one many, many years ago.

Last edited:

TTA94

I have a feeling all those nice planters around The Crystal Palace will be going away. That area is a nightmare on busy evenings!

wogwog

It's hard to tell from these pictures....are there still curbs in front of City Hall, or has the concrete work sloped the sidewalks directly into the street (like the section in front of the railroad station)? It's my hope that maybe while widening the ramps, they've left most of the curbing in Town Square.
The street has been raised to within an inch or two of the curb height. It is too soon to tell if the sidewalk and curb will also be raised. Sidewalk work is still going on in front of City Hall.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Oy. Looking at this weeks concrete photos reminds we there were construction walls at this same time of year in 2012 and these magical walls started to reappear in summer of 2013, still here in 2014. Lordie 3 years straight with main street walled. Why not just throw in the hub and moats. Pretty background for a new parade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom