Main Street U.S.A. concrete replacement project begins tomorrow

FutureWorld1982

It's indeed very depressing.

But let's just hope idiots won't run the show for much longer.

Anyway here's the 2020 plans I managed to uncover, hopefully I don't get in trouble...

Ob9Q9wl.jpg

I actually like the Adventureland area...

The Empress Lilly

It's indeed very depressing.

But let's just hope idiots won't run the show for much longer.

Anyway here's the 2020 plans I managed to uncover, hopefully I don't get in trouble...

Ob9Q9wl.jpg
Awesome, the definitive thread winner!

Not everything in the drawing is bad though. I'd consider the paving over of Aladdin and Rapunzel a thematic improvement!

In other areas, your dystopian nightmare is already reality. FL before the wall, where Dumbo once stood, now really is a concrete desert, an empty square so vast that visitors from communist countries would be tempted to stage military parades there.
MS and the hub already look like barren wastelands to those of us who knew it from way back. Where are the twinkly-light trees? The cars and coaches and firetruck on MS? The benches?

Bah! WDW is just as bad as our saddest little what-if jokes!

~ But in exchange TWDC does give us a Hidden Mickey!! Above the fort on TSI. ~

LL2WDW

Awesome, the definitive thread winner!

Not everything in the drawing is bad though. I'd consider the paving over of Aladdin and Rapunzel a thematic improvement!

In other areas, your dystopian nightmare is already reality. FL before the wall, where Dumbo once stood, now really is a concrete desert, an empty square so vast that visitors from communist countries would be tempted to stage military parades there.
MS and the hub already look like barren wastelands to those of us who knew it from way back. Where are the twinkly-light trees? The cars and coaches and firetruck on MS? The benches?

Bah! WDW is just as bad as our saddest little what-if jokes!

~ But in exchange TWDC does give us a Hidden Mickey!! Above the fort on TSI. ~

Your hyperbole is annoying. The "empty square" is just an opening that is needed, in a very crowded land.

MS and Central Plaza are not barren wastelands. Correct if I'm wrong, but (aside from the Emporium expansion) MS has not changed in 42 years.

There are still cars, there are still firetrucks, and there are still benches on the side streets. So, who are you blaming? Disney, or all the people that are coming to Disney that used to not be able to afford to?

G00fyDad

Your hyperbole is annoying. The "empty square" is just an opening that is needed, in a very crowded land.

MS and Central Plaza are not barren wastelands. Correct if I'm wrong, but (aside from the Emporium expansion) MS has not changed in 42 years.

There are still cars, there are still firetrucks, and there are still benches on the side streets. So, who are you blaming? Disney, or all the people that are coming to Disney that used to not be able to afford to?

Wow. Come into a forum swinging much? Two posts and you're slapping at a well known and respected member here. Nice. You won't be around long though. ;)

LL2WDW

Wow. Come into a forum swinging much? Two posts and you're slapping at a well known and respected member here. Nice. You won't be around long though. ;)

True, true. I've been reading these forums for a couple years, though never really commented. It's just...some of these comments drive me crazy! I cannot stand the hyperbole and hubris!

The Empress Lilly

Price increases for WDW have far surpassed (USA) inflation. Middle class Americans are now priced out of Disney more than before, not less.

As for MS, I'll let pictures be my hyperbole. Old on top, current below. Note for example the size of the sidewalk trees, the absent trees in front of the castle, the quality of the garbage cans, the transportation that used to be out more. Not to mention the invisibles such as the disappeared attractions of the Cinema, Penny Arcade and Disney Story, and the removal of an entire side street, the flower market and boutique shops.

When I speak of a 'barren MS', this is what I mean:
MainStreet.jpg

main_street.jpg

Edit: for the connaisseurs: do you note the dimishing of the forced perspective? In the top picture the castle appears much taller than in the bottom one.

Last edited:

G00fyDad

True, true. I've been reading these forums for a couple years, though never really commented. It's just...some of these comments drive me crazy! I cannot stand the hyperbole and hubris!

Keep it to yourself. We have enough bit**ing going on without adding to it. Besides, the member you text-slapped wasn't wrong. Rarely is. That section does seem as open as the Red Square.

willtravel

Price increases for WDW have far surpassed (USA) inflation. Middle class Americans are now priced out of Disney more than before, not less.

As for MS, I'll let pictures be my hyperbole. Old on top, current below. Note for example the size of the sidewalk trees, the absent trees in front of the castle, the quality of the garbage cans, the transportation that used to be out more. Not to mention the invisibles such as the disappeared attractions of the Cinema, Penny Arcade and Disney Story, and the removal of an entire side street, the flower market and boutique shops.

When I speak of a 'barren MS', this is what I mean:
MainStreet.jpg

main_street.jpg

Edit: for the connaisseurs: do you note the dimishing of the forced perspective? In the top picture the castle appears much taller than in the bottom one.
I do miss the look of MS in the first picture. Seemed like a true MS to me.

LL2WDW

Keep it to yourself. We have enough bit**ing going on without adding to it. Besides, the member you text-slapped wasn't wrong. Rarely is. That section does seem as open as the Red Square.

Just adding another view point to the discussion. I thought these were open forums. I go to MK on a fairly regular basis and I personally don't view it as a barren wasteland. I actually look at MS and the Castle and think it is beautiful.

The Empress Lilly

I do miss the look of MS in the first picture. Seemed like a true MS to me.
In the earliest days of especially DL, but also WDW, MS DID look like an actual street to many visitors. After all, the MS time period was only a few decades old back then. Many of the older guests had actually known the MS time period, and the younger ones were much closer to MS's time period than we are today.

As a funny consequence, when the parks weren't too crowded, often the guests would all walk on the sidewalks, leaving the street empty. A real street in a real town. So adorable! :)

MS, early seventies:
WDW-124%20-%20Main%20Street%20&%20Cinderella%20Castle.jpg

For the connaisseurs: no strollers, no kids, average age of fifty, all fit and slender, people dressing up instead of dressing down to visit Disney. A more elegant audience for a more sophisticated park.

G00fyDad

Just adding another view point to the discussion. I thought these were open forums. I go to MK on a fairly regular basis and I personally don't view it as a barren wasteland. I actually look at MS and the Castle and think it is beautiful.

Another point of view is fine, but try not sounding like a d-bag when you do it. I mean, you came into the discussion sounding like you were surprised she even bothered to post something so stupid. My point here is that you might want to consider that you have a handful of posts under your belt and you should probably get a better handle on who knows what around here. She never said anything truly derogatory about the space. She offered her opinion and you text-slapped her for it. Hey, we're happy to have a new face around here, but lighten up a little. ;)

Tigger1988

Because the top photo was not only taken closer to the castle itself but also taken from a higher vantage point. You'll need to find two photos taken from the exact same spot and angle to prove this point.

The Empress Lilly

Another point of view is fine, but try not sounding like a d-bag when you do it. I mean, you came into the discussion sounding like you were surprised she even bothered to post something so stupid. My point here is that you might want to consider that you have a handful of posts under your belt and you should probably get a better handle on who knows what around here. She never said anything truly derogatory about the space. She offered her opinion and you text-slapped her for it. Hey, we're happy to have a new face around here, but lighten up a little. ;)
Thanks for sticking up for me! Although I'm not that thin-skinned.
I suppose it takes people like us who knew the world before 1989 to understand that Red Square association!

Secondly, I have slowly come to regret my user name somewhat. The Empress Lilly is a former WDW steamship. But whereas nearly all ships are named after females, nearly all lovers of steamtrains and steamships are male, not female.
And in turn, that member named 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride' is a woman.

NearTheEars

The Top photo was taken from a higher elevation. Maybe a ladder. The second from street level. That has a lot to do with view.

I will say, have all of those trees is quite beautiful.

Did you really mean "quality" of garbage cans or "quantity." If quality, that's pretty low on my list of things to look for.

The Empress Lilly

Just wondering, building colors on MS, are they different from the 70's, 80's to now? I don't take pictures and don't really remember?
Oh goodness me, I really don't know. I know that on the whole the MK feels brighter, more colourful. More colours, of deeper saturation. Sometimes it feels quite cheerful, sometimes a bit cartoonish.

MS, I think by and large the buildings retained their original colour schemes throughout the years. We'll have to wait for Marni71 to return to this thread for specifics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom