8/16 Wand Update

CrashNet

Warning: exaggeration

Let's have the Statue of Liberty listening to a giant sparkling, bedazzled iPod for the next 8 years and see who embraces it as positive change. Kids growing up only seeing the iPod version of Lady Liberty will only know her in that way. Then when they finally take it down and restore the statue to it's original glory, parents of upset children are supposed to say "don't be sad, it was positive change when she got her bedazzled iPod and it's positive change now"? Heck no, I'd say, "Kids, she had no business having an iPod in the first place. This is the way it should to be. Besides she doesn't even have access to iTunes, so she's S.O.L. anyway."

You feeling me?

No not really, because the Statue of Liberty represents our nation's indepence and freedom. Spaceship Earth is an attraction at a theme park. Apples and Oranges.

My opinion of the wand is neutral, but if they did that to a national monument, I'd be a little appalled. I've never even seen it in person. Not to go off topic, but this is one of the reasons they have not cleaned the statue to make it bronze color again. To everyone alive today, its always been green. To those children and first time visitors who have only seen SSE with the wand, its always had the wand. They don't know the difference.

RiversideBunny

Is this another wand thread?

Maybe the ones on this web site could be cataloged and sorted into basic categories:

A. Discussion before removal began

B. Discussion during removal and progress reports

C. Continued discussion after removal concerning whether the wand should
have been removed

That might make it easier for future EPCOT historians to research.
Just a thought.

:animwink:

Enchantâmes

I am going to miss the wand, but I am looking forward to whatever they add to it in the future. Still hoping for the Mickey ears...

The Big Ball looks naked now.
Its not Mickey Mouse's head.. Its Spaceship Earth, its supposed to represent the globe, it doesn't need cheesy glamour and glitz. Its not like they put a "Big Ball" there for no reason.

JDM

And if I want to sit here and complain about it like it's the most important thing in the world, so what, anyone can just avert their eyes to the post then.:shrug:

Sorry, didn't mean to express a contrary opinion about "your" park

Ahem...

you mean...

It's a freakin' theme park attraction!
NO....I mean RIDE.....you sit on it, it moves, it's a ride.

Thank you.
You're welcome, Crashnet!

YIKES! That is exactly why I put THIS at the very beginning of my post......warning exaggeration

understood. Directed more to others than to you

devoy1701

oh no you didnt

NO....I mean RIDE.....you sit on it, it moves, it's a ride.

You're welcome, Crashnet!

understood. Directed more to others than to you

You're being exceptionally rude ya know. If you aren't going to respect people's opinions of Spaceship Earth, you probably don't need to be on this thread.

And I'll have you know that Spaceship Earth is an AMAZING architectual feat! It was the first completed Geodesic Sphere ever to be completed in the world and have a full spherical shape. Many engineers vowed that there was no way a perfect Geodesic Sphere could support it's own weight...but of course imagineers were able to solve that problem eventually.

As for the ride portion...it's alittle more than just a "ride" It takes us through the history and future of the most important aspect of human existance....communication. It is responsible for every advancement of our race.

So um.....psh. And have respect for people who are in awe of the ball...I'm one of those. and dont even say you ain't disrepectin'

Figment82

Original Poster
I went to Epcot today and no one seems to have noticed that they have already begun removing stars from SSE on the inside of the park. There were as many stars on the park side of SSE as on the entrance side. Now there are very few. And now that I am home and took another look at figs pics, you can see that there ain't many left on the park side.

No, there are only 11 stars on the park side. There were never as many stars on the park side as there were on the entrance side. As someone who has studied this thoroughly every single day since July 9th, trust me on this. :)

dave2822

Thanks for the update and the pics! They are making real progress.

Oh and lighten up guys .. if people like the wand or dislike it so what? You may view SSE as a work of art, I certainly do, but that doesn't mean everyone has to. And everyone should be able to like certain things and post about it and not be flamed just for having a minority opinion.

I just so happened to be vastly disappointed with the Mona Lisa upon seeing it in person ... now talk about a minority opinion ... but hey I may not know art but I know what I like ... and that should be just fine.

Eyorefan

I just so happened to be vastly disappointed with the Mona Lisa upon seeing it in person ... now talk about a minority opinion ... but hey I may not know art but I know what I like ... and that should be just fine.

I understand. I was underwhelmed by the Grand Canyon and I get slamed everytime I fess up and say it. Oh well... to each his own I always say.

teebin

No, there are only 11 stars on the park side. There were never as many stars on the park side as there were on the entrance side. As someone who has studied this thoroughly every single day since July 9th, trust me on this. :)

um, "studied"? that brings to mind someone with laser devices, quadrants HD Camera and thick notebooks, oh, and a German accent. :lookaroun

I'll take your word for it though as I have never studied it throroughly. :wave:

hauntdmansion79

No not really, because the Statue of Liberty represents our nation's indepence and freedom. Spaceship Earth is an attraction at a theme park. Apples and Oranges.

Wow. I will post this ONE MORE TIME from the 1st line in my original post, because it obviously is being missed...

Warning: exaggeration

So people, please, I OBVIOUSLY am not comparing Spaceship Earth to the Statue of Liberty. But an exaggeration sometimes is needed to help people grasp how others might be feeling by giving an example of something everyone could relate to. If you re-read my post keeping in mind that it is a purposeful exaggeration (and also was intended to be humorous), you might see the point.

shoppingnut

Wow. I will post this ONE MORE TIME from the 1st line in my original post, because it obviously is being missed...

So people, please, I OBVIOUSLY am not comparing Spaceship Earth to the Statue of Liberty. But an exaggeration sometimes is needed to help people grasp how others might be feeling by giving an example of something everyone could relate to. If you re-read my post keeping in mind that it is a purposeful exaggeration (and also was intended to be humorous), you might see the point.

Even if you were making it a comparison, you know this is supposed to be a fun place to come and post stuff. Everyone has a right to an opinion even if it is an exaggeration and sometimes exaggerations can be interesting concepts.

jt04

shoppingnut

You didn't just express a contrary opinion, you then had to continue on and tell people they should get a perspective. Why do I have to get a perspective if I don't feel like having one today, that's my choice.

hauntdmansion79

Even if you were making it a comparison, you know this is supposed to be a fun place to come and post stuff. Everyone has a right to an opinion even if it is an exaggeration and sometimes exaggerations can be interesting concepts.

Thanks! I appreciate you understanding that I was trying to have fun. :wave:

devoy1701

Thanks! I appreciate you understanding that I was trying to have fun. :wave:

I'm hoping someone will Photoshop an iPod onto a picture of the Statue of Liberty and put it on this thread! I chuckled slightly when I read your "exageration". And only slightly because I was still in the office and the "excel spreadsheet" I had up had nothing humorous on it.

I too was horsing around some when I made comments about the architectural wonder of SSE! Though I am awed by it...I just so happened to have my Imagineers Field Guide to Epcot in my bag and knew I could find something extreme to toss in there. People disrespectin'! Sheesh! Plus I think thread fights are pretty funny in themselves.

but what's wrong with "FOLLOWING THE EXAGERATION" anyway? ha...that Dane fellow...he's funny. :lol:

kcnole

Originally Posted by JDM
IT'S NOT THE STATUE OF LIBERTY, THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT, MOUNT RUSHMORE, THE PYRAMIDS OR STONEHENGE!!!

It's a freakin' theme park ride!!

Except to many of us it means just as much as those monuments. You can call me a foamer if you want, but its an architectural marvel (just like the pyramids, etc...) and one that has inspired hundreds of thousands of people in the process.

I can easily say that SSE is the reason I got into the field that I work in. From the time I first rode that attraction back in the mid 80's till today I have been captivated by the story it told of the power of communication to pull the globe together. And that we all, no matter what continent, color, or gender we are are inhabitants on this wonderful space ship earth.

I can honestly say that my life would have turned out different were it not for SSE. So to me it does mean a lot to me and I am very happy to see it returned to its pristine shape.

jessfriends

Speaking of German accents:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/08/16/scispeed116.xml

Maybe it is a "matter of time" before we actually get that "Time Racers" attraction! Who knows?

Thanks for that link. I did not hear about this at all...it sounds so weird but interesting at the same time, especially this part taken from the article:

For instance, an astronaut moving faster than it would theoretically arrive at a destination before leaving.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom