7DMT Animatronics

Captain Chaos

How's is two people giving calm responses to you "getting up in arms"? If you don't want to hear opposing opinions, don't post your own.
Some people just can't handle the truth, especially if your life revolves around a certain unhealthy obsession... The last thing you want to hear is the truth about something you think is perfect... Flaws??? They can't handle the truth of hearing about flaws... And yes, this goes for both Disney obsessed fans and Uni obsessed fans...

LithiumBill

Spoken as someone who has no idea what running a theme park where tens of thousands of people daily show up, many on "once in a lifetime" trips, is like. Future maintenance/durability is one of the most important things, period.

My point was lost. You cannot complain about something before it breaks. If you do, why would you buy it.

I'm not a duster here, I don't like negativity before it's due. If my favorite sports team was being cheap, or trading players instead of paying them, I would stop going to games.

Last edited:

LithiumBill

You're really missing the point when it comes to figure movement.
Not really, I understand a figure like Urlsa needs to ave that huge range of motion, but at the same time, two of the figures in the 7DMT we have seen are doing a task - pulling a rope and using a pick on a rock... they are not meant to do more than that. And they are not simple rocking back and forth on a pivot. There is complex motion in what they are doing.

They could have easily put fiberglass figures there, that rocked back and forth.

Not everything has to be THE GREAST THING EVER.

MerlinTheGoat

You have seen 20 seconds of 3 figures... And are complaining that they are not articulated enough.
I would not need to "complain" about the figures had people on these boards and Disney themselves not lied about how "amazing" they were. As Martin said, the figures look good. But not complex or nearly as good as people are claiming (the detail is again coming from a video screen and the surrounding figures don't move much). Nor are they what should be acceptable for the ridiculous pricetag and construction period this ride has commanded. It's absolutely absurd to make claims that these are the best AA's they've ever created. Their physical motions are again outdone by Disney's AA's from the 1960's, let alone immensely more advanced rides like Splash Mountain or Sinbad. And you generally see well less than 20 seconds of the scenes in those rides as well.

It doesn't. But not everything that isn't the greatest thing ever has to be claimed as such by users on this forum and Disney. Nor do such non-greatest things ever have to cost so much and take so long to build. We were told to expect the greatest thing ever, and even now after seeing them Disney is still trying to make claims that they're some sort of achievement they've never made before...

Let this be yet another lesson to people on this site- trust Lee and other respectable people like him, not the words of "randomclaimedinsider" who joins promising candy. And don't trust what Disney themselves say for that matter (though hyping Mermaid as an E ticket should have been a good indication not to trust their word)...

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Not really, I understand a figure like Urlsa needs to ave that huge range of motion, but at the same time, two of the figures in the 7DMT we have seen are doing a task - pulling a rope and using a pick on a rock... they are not meant to do more than that. And they are not simple rocking back and forth on a pivot. There is complex motion in what they are doing.

They could have easily put fiberglass figures there, that rocked back and forth.

Complex motion today is beyond just a pivot and recognizing something as not being complex is not a "bash." You yourself are admitting they are not "THE GREATEST THING EVER" and that is what is being recognized by acknowledging the realities of these figures and the scope of this attraction. Nobody who has been following the good information ever expected an E-Ticket but many have been calling out those who are over selling.

Sped2424

I think for what the show scenes are these figures are great. I don't think anyone could make the bold claim best ever, but certainly deserving of being the next generation of Dark Ride figures.

lazyboy97o

I think for what the show scenes are these figures are great. I don't think anyone could make the bold claim best ever, but certainly deserving of being the next generation of Dark Ride figures.
I really hope they don't become the new thing. The charm of dark rides, especially the ones at Disneyland, is their simplicity and strength of composition. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is almost entirely flats and still loads of fun. The small dark rides don't need overly animated faces that are entirely different from the simplicity of everything else. I think the obsession with the big features are part of why The Little Mermaid faltered.

Californian Elitist

I really hope they don't become the new thing. The charm of dark rides, especially the ones at Disneyland, is their simplicity and strength of composition. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is almost entirely flats and still loads of fun. The small dark rides don't need overly animated faces that are entirely different from the simplicity of everything else. I think the obsession with the big features are part of why The Little Mermaid faltered.

Couldn't agree more.

Sped2424

To each his own, even though I see very little of "big features" in the little mermaid, in fact most of those figures remind me of many of the old dark rides. Especially in the under the sea room. From what everyone is saying it seems like something along this line of technology is going to be used for the Queen of hearts in alice in wonderland once it opens up. I just think there is a warmth to these projections that static figures or cutouts can't really compare with.

lazyboy97o

To each his own, even though I see very little of "big features" in the little mermaid, in fact most of those figures remind me of many of the old dark rides. Especially in the under the sea room. From what everyone is saying it seems like something along this line of technology is going to be used for the Queen of hearts in alice in wonderland once it opens up. I just think there is a warmth to these projections that static figures or cutouts can't really compare with.
I think Ariel, Ursula and the size of "Under the Sea" are the big features. They're supposed to be impressive and grand, but then you go right to a static figure spinning.

MerlinTheGoat

I don't think the big features of Little Mermaid had anything to do with its failure. It was the skimping on the lesser elements that hurt it actually (putting even less effort into basic show elements than now ancient dark rides like Peter Pan or the original Snow White such as causing mechanical things to be visible to the guest for one example). The Ursula animatronic and some of the nicer figures are some of the better parts IMO (Ariel's face was pretty weird but that was more to do with the design artists). You can have a charming darkride style experience with a lot of advanced figures (Splash Mountain is kind of a thrilling dark ride in some ways). The problem is that it was basically a C ticket hyped as an E by Disney and we only saw the best parts in previews, they skimped on some of the other show elements and made some really juvenile mistakes that don't even affect old dark rides.

Had they gone with Tony Baxter's 90's idea for a Little Mermaid ride and put more effort into the minor figures (and covered up elements guests shouldn't see), I think the ride would have been far more loved even with some impressive AA figures.

Sped2424

I think Ariel, Ursula and the size of "Under the Sea" are the big features. They're supposed to be impressive and grand, but then you go right to a static figure spinning.
They are indeed the highlights of that attraction, ursula in particular. But the dwarves themselves to me are animated in a way that is superior to Ariel's plasticity. But you have a good point, makes no sense to have such articulated figures and then go into a scene where everything is sort of lifeless. It would have been far nicer if all of the figures in the under the sea room were just as expressive as their film counterparts, but that would require a budget that would never get approved in todays day and age. But I think the dwarves and lumiere do offer something that many of the old static figures couldn't, which is why I think they belong in dark rides.

LithiumBill

Complex motion today is beyond just a pivot and recognizing something as not being complex is not a "bash." You yourself are admitting they are not "THE GREATEST THING EVER" and that is what is being recognized by acknowledging the realities of these figures and the scope of this attraction. Nobody who has been following the good information ever expected an E-Ticket but many have been calling out those who are over selling.
I never was on the E-Ticket band wagon... It's not. It's a kid's ride in Fantasyland that parents can enjoy with them. (Admission, I have three kids between 9-7 -- that includes twins), so yeah, this is in my demographic.)

I never engage here, I lurk, a lot. But I get miffed when something that is above expectations comes along, and still get bashed right down, right away, as not being ground breaking materials. It's a family ride, in Fantasyland. These Dwarfs are a step up from the last ones, and they are in a mine, in the middle of a roller coaster.

I never thought these would be Life Model Decoys of the Dwarfs (I saved that idea for Snow White).

Jabbas

Some people just can't handle the truth, especially if your life revolves around a certain unhealthy obsession... The last thing you want to hear is the truth about something you think is perfect... Flaws??? They can't handle the truth of hearing about flaws... And yes, this goes for both Disney obsessed fans and Uni obsessed fans...

What exactly is the truth? Lol I'm just wondering again how a ride in fantasyland interrupts my day to day life. I think going on this forum and constantly picking and bashing at something no one has ridden on yet is kind of obsessive.

MerlinTheGoat

What exactly is the truth? Lol I'm just wondering again how a ride in fantasyland interrupts my day to day life. I think going on this forum and constantly picking and bashing at something no one has ridden on yet is kind of obsessive.
How does you attacking people for NOT being impressed by a ride amount to anything more than what you're harping on others for doing?

The Truth-
- This ride's figures are (arguably) decent but not as impressive as Disney and people like you are hyping them as
- This ride has gone through infinitely more cash than it should have cost to build
- This ride has taken several years longer than it should have

Jabbas

How does you attacking people for NOT being impressed by a ride amount to anything more than what you're harping on others for doing?

The Truth-
- This ride's figures are (arguably) decent but not as impressive as Disney and people like you are hyping them as
- This ride has gone through infinitely more cash than it should have cost to build
- This ride has taken several years longer than it should have

People like me? Excuse me? I never claimed to be an insider or have any insider information. I know just as much about the ride as everyone here does. Yes I completely agree the ride could have been finished earlier and as far as cost I am not Disney and I have no idea what their budget is. And the truth about the figures being impressive? That's an opinion, not TRUTH. Truth is the the sky is blue, grass is green, etc. Where am I attacking people? I am stating that people are constantly looking for reasons to bash Disney and god forbid they do anything right. So again, don't include me as "hyping" the ride up just because everyone else looks for a reason to be negative.

jdmdisney99

People like me? Excuse me? I never claimed to be an insider or have any insider information. I know just as much about the ride as everyone here does. Yes I completely agree the ride could have been finished earlier and as far as cost I am not Disney and I have no idea what their budget is. And the truth about the figures being impressive? That's an opinion, not TRUTH. Truth is the the sky is blue, grass is green, etc. Where am I attacking people? I am stating that people are constantly looking for reasons to bash Disney and god forbid they do anything right. So again, don't include me as "hyping" the ride up just because everyone else looks for a reason to be negative.
I do agree it is an opinion, but I think you misunderstood the "people like you" part. I don't think he meant that you were acting like an insider who claimed to know they were brilliant. I believe he means that they are nice figures but not the second coming like some people are acting. Again, that is a matter of opinion, not truth. One of you may have more background info on the technology and advancement of AAs, so one of your opinions may be more justified, but it is all just a clash of opinion, possibly backed up by facts on either side.

jdmdisney99

My take on them... they just don't look that great at all to me. I'm hoping it's just the lighting, but the faces just are too bright and flashy to fit in with the body IMO. I would have preferred traditional AAs like those seen in LM. Dopey just looks flat out terrible. It doesn't even look like him. The only reason you can tell is tpthat he is wearing his purple hat and he has diamonds in his eyes. I really hope they'll look better in person...oh and I hope they actually whistle "Whistle While You Work".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom