7/11/2004 20k Lagoon Pics

TheDisneyGirl02

Wow and gasp...I can't believe that is what 20K looks like now. It was never my favorite ride, but it's still sad...

I loved working there with the characters...the memories...sigh...

TheDisneyGirl02

ToTBellHop

careship said:
I could almost cry. That is so sad. I am glad there are walls up and I won't be looking over them, I'd get too upset.

On the upside, they had better outdo anything they have ever done before in the newly made space. Whatever replaces it had better be the most innovative or the greatest thing they've done in awhile.

Who can't wait to be able to go in the area and see if they have left any 20K calling cards? (You know somehow in the new area they should pay homage to the ride that has gone before it.)
Why? 20K was nothing all that impressive...it wouldn't take much to outdo it, at least in my opinion. I'd love a great ride, but everything can't be the best. I think EVEREST will be the best ride for awhile (much like Tower of Terror was for almost 10 years).

M:SpilotISTC12

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Why? 20K was nothing all that impressive...it wouldn't take much to outdo it, at least in my opinion. I'd love a great ride, but everything can't be the best. I think EVEREST will be the best ride for awhile (much like Tower of Terror was for almost 10 years).
I felt the same way when Horizons went down,I didnt think Horizons was that impressive. Im not saying it was a bad ride it just wasnt one of my favorites. I hope Everest will be good.

careship

ISTCNavigator57 said:

Why? Because although it has been closed forever, it holds a special nostalgic place in my heart. So for me to be sad, shouldn't be questioned, it is just an emotion I am allowed to feel.

Also, I want them to start getting their Imagineering juices flowing again and do something awesome there. It took them 10 years to formally get rid of this once amazing attraction. I can say it was amazing, because to me it was. I was a kid when I went on this ride over and over again and it was the coolest thing in the world because it was different.

I just think that they need to get original and create some magic again. Granted, I love Philharmagic & Mission: Space, but I want the full effect rides again. The PotC, HM, IASW, JC and things of the such...I know they aren't bothering with AA anymore, but they should. They should take a lesson from PotC, something great like this compounded greatness for them by turning out an awesome movie.

Testtrack321

Powerfull, considering the thing isn't even a living thing, but a big lagoon. Also, the water appears shallower than I remember before... great pictures.

MissM

20K was never my favorite ride. But, it's still sad and interesting to track the changes of what's happened over the years. I put together a site which is doing just that.

http://www.giveneyestosee.com/20k

My annual pass ran out in June and I probably won't have the finances to renew it until the Fall. I wonder if you'd mind if I add your new image from July to the site (I'll credit you for the photo) since a lot has changed and I can't get shots right now to track the changes.

You can also contact me by email (missm(at)giveneyestosee.com) with any other images you have. This goes for anyone else who has July photos. I would really like to preserve this process so years from now people can see what happened.

Thanks,
-m

PhilharMagician

I remember on my first trip to WDW waiting in line for over an hour in the extreme heat and breathing the deisel fumes for a 5 minute ride.

Now, I will never be able to do that again!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

MrNonacho

Premium Member
ISTCNavigator57 said:
But, this sad sight is why they have such a big construction wall in place, so we DON'T see pics like this lol

Exactly! There is NO WAY to see any of this unless you stand on something like a bench. Also, did anyone really think that someone could just snap their fingers and make the lagoon disappear? Of course there's going to be rubble!

This ride stunk (literally) and it's great to see them get off their butts and do something to the area.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i was neutral on the ride. i had my likes and dislikes. but yes, i agree, it is about time that something was done with this area.

i dont remember it having an odor though. i must have gone on good days when the wind was blowing north. lol

WDW John

On my first trip to WDW that I can remember I was about 5 and was totally excited to go on 20k. As luck would have it, it was getting refurbed. I was sooo disappointed. As my next trip approached (I was 10 or 11) I was getting more excited every day to go on 20k. I had a 20k record at home that read you a very abridged verion of the book, I listened all the time.

That trip was the first (and only) time our whole family went together to WDW. I can't tell you how exciting it was for me to go on 20k that first time. My brother, who is 10 years older than me, thought it was stupid. So I thought he was stupid.

In my early 20s I went with my then girlfriend (now wife) who had never been to WDW before. Again, I was looking forward to going on 20k. Told her all about it. Afterward, she told me she didn't know why I liked it so much. Of course, being older I looked at it differently myself. I can understand why someone "older" wouldn't like it, especially if they never experienced it as a kid, but I still somewhat enjoyed the ride. Maybe it was just nostalgia.

Anyway, it's been sitting there closed for what, 10 years now? Everytime I go I get frustrated that it's sitting there unused. To me 20k has been gone that whole time. Yes, I'll miss it, but I'm happier that they are finally starting to do something with that area. Hopefully it's more than just demolition and something new will start to appear.

yensidtlaw1969

I acurrently 3 years old, soon to be 14. I didn't know until I was about 7 or 8 that there used to be a ride in the lagoon! My mom pointed out the track and said there was a submarine ride there which sounded SOO cool taking a ride in a submarine, something I'venever done at Disney and only done once in real life. To me it was just a pond. That's one of the bad things about Eisner. He takes great attractions and destroys them to the point that future generations don't even know they existed! By the way, the real submarine voyage I went on was awesome and there wasn't always something to see. At least at Disney they guaranteed seeing something. What a waste of a CEO.

TravisMT81

Tahu said:
That's really sad... It's like the deconstruction workers had no respect for the attraction, and mindlessly tore up the coral.

well how the hell do they supose to tear it apart, not like it is an ancient burial site.

MissM

It's morbidly interesting isn't it? Though I find comfort in the documentation of the process. A way of preserving a moment in it's history.

And thanks! Glad you like it. :)
-m

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom