5th gate question?

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
There is always a lot of discussion about Disney should put in a "5th gate". Is this something in the realm of possibility?? Is this something Disney is even considering?

Janir

The Imagineers subforum had a great plan for a music oriented park. Something I hope Disney would eventual take a good look at for a 5th gate.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
CADC9776-0673-4E2F-AC41-AA7DAB5C444B.jpeg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There is always a lot of discussion about Disney should put in a "5th gate". Is this something in the realm of possibility?? Is this something Disney is even considering?

Someone here wrote a detailed post (which I cannot find) making a case the Disney will need a fifth gate sooner then later.
Some people believe a fifth gate will never happen.
Some people think it might happen, but not for a very long time.
Someone posted a rumor that they are planning "sister" parks for all four existing parks, which means 4 new gates.

Take you pick.

QuasiNoFroyo

I firmly believe that all four parks have covered every theme necessary for Walt Disney World. With Animal Kingdom embracing nature and conservation, Hollywood Studios representing filmmaking and other Hollywood industries, Epcot being themed to future advancements and world diversity, and Magic Kingdom just Disney being Disney, I fail to see which stones remain to be turned as of now.

JIMINYCR

Someday they will be forced to expand with the idea of a totally themed park instead of just adding an attraction or a "land" to an existing park. Whether that will be a villians, sci fi, or Marvel or some other theme that interests us, will be determined by cost, technology, plans, board approval and of course profitability to justify such an expansion. I think it will at some point be necessary to do and hopefully I will be able to enjoy it in my advanced age, state of bodily capabilities and mind.

Joeamc

Im sure it will happen at some point and the reason is simple. The more parks there are, the more days one needs on property and thus the more "days"of tickets one will buy. In other words back in the day before Epcot Disney sold one day tickets, maybe two day. Then Epcot came and eventually MGM studios, and they started selling 5 day tickets. Then animal kingdom and they had 7 day ticket packages. So Disney has realized this and because of that reason, I believe there will be another park at some point

donsullivan

Premium Member
While the RCID master plan for the property does indeed include a plot of land for a 5th gate, I would not anticipate seeing it anytime soon. There are a whole host of reasons far too numerous to get into here but one of the drivers is that it's far more expensive to operate a 5th park than it is to expand the current ones. All of the backstage service and support infrastructure adds significant costs to operations. It's also not clear that adding a 5th gate would do anything to increase the total number of guests that visit Walt Disney World as a whole in any given year. Yes, it might spread the crowds but there is no data that it would actually add to the total number of unique guests who visit in a year. If all it does is spread the same crowd, then the operating cost of the experience goes up while the admission revenue stays the same which isn't a good business model for Disney, or guests.

Disney learned when they opened Animal Kingdom that people didn't change the length of time they spend in central FL on their vacation because of Animal Kingdom and adding yet another park for them to visit isn't going to change that now. Most guests still have a finite amount of time they spend on their once in a lifetime, or once every 5 years Disney visit and the addition of another gate isn't going to change that.

And that doesn't even get into the transportation costs to move everyone around the property. They are already spending a lot of money to get cars and buses off the roads since those cannot be expanded endlessly. Adding more transit points just complicates an already difficult problem of traffic within the bounds of RCID.

Joeamc

While the RCID master plan for the property does indeed include a plot of land for a 5th gate, I would not anticipate seeing it anytime soon. There are a whole host of reasons far too numerous to get into here but one of the drivers is that it's far more expensive to operate a 5th park than it is to expand the current ones. All of the backstage service and support infrastructure adds significant costs to operations. It's also not clear that adding a 5th gate would do anything to increase the total number of guests that visit Walt Disney World as a whole in any given year. Yes, it might spread the crowds but there is no data that it would actually add to the total number of unique guests who visit in a year. If all it does is spread the same crowd, then the operating cost of the experience goes up while the admission revenue stays the same which isn't a good business model for Disney, or guests.

Disney learned when they opened Animal Kingdom that people didn't change the length of time they spend in central FL on their vacation because of Animal Kingdom and adding yet another park for them to visit isn't going to change that now. Most guests still have a finite amount of time they spend on their once in a lifetime, or once every 5 years Disney visit and the addition of another gate isn't going to change that.

And that doesn't even get into the transportation costs to move everyone around the property. They are already spending a lot of money to get cars and buses off the roads since those cannot be expanded endlessly. Adding more transit points just complicates an already difficult problem of traffic within the bounds of RCID.
I respectfully disagree. If Disney still only had the Magic Kingdom as it did in 1971, you would have less people staying for less time which equals less revenue. The more they build, the more People come and that includes hotels, shopping (Springs) water parks, and Parks. It is inevitable that they will build another park. The question is not if, but when.

bclane

I wonder how Universal’s upcoming new park affects Disney’s calculus on the matter. I assume that if it is a booming success and takes away market share from Disney...well that it might just motivate Disney to think more seriously about a 5th gate.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I firmly believe that all four parks have covered every theme necessary for Walt Disney World. With Animal Kingdom embracing any IP they want to stick in it, Hollywood Studios representing any IP they want to stick in it, Epcot being themed to any IP they want to stick in it, and Magic Kingdom just any DisneyIP they want to stick in it, I fail to see which stones remain to be turned as of now.

... Fixed that for you. ;)

LeighM

I still wish they would build something similar to DisneySea with the level of theming. I don't mind more IP attractions if they are incorporated in a good way. After all, I love Disney movies so why not have more movie based rides. Like a land based on Frozen having a ride instead of Norway in Epcot. I'm still not a fan of that ride in Epcot LOL. I can understand why they don't build - increased operating costs, difficulty hiring bus drivers (a national problem not just WDW), infrastructure costs, etc. But one can dream, right? :)

2bornot2be

I don't believe they are working on a 5th Gate now.
Disney needs to remain focus on improvements or new attractions for Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot. I believe a billion dollars in new attractions will be great for the parks.
Once improvements are complete and we have more than "4-6" E-Ticket attractions in Hollywood Studios as example, they then should work on a 5th gate.

Ricky Spanish

When we took the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour a few weeks ago, the CM who led it said, " 1/3 of Disney World's property has been developed with parks, hotels, Disney Springs, etc. 1/3 will remain undeveloped for wildlife/conservation. And 1/3 is still available to develop" His words were, "Basically, Disney could double everything here and still have 1/3 of the land that they originally purchased."
So, can they build a 5th gate?
Sure.
And a 6th, 7th, and 8th gate too.
Will they?
Only time(and $$$) will tell.

Goofyernmost

I respectfully disagree. If Disney still only had the Magic Kingdom as it did in 1971, you would have less people staying for less time which equals less revenue. The more they build, the more People come and that includes hotels, shopping (Springs) water parks, and Parks. It is inevitable that they will build another park. The question is not if, but when.
Yes, that it true, but, there is a law of diminishing returns. Like stated here, in this country we do not have the liberal vacation (holiday) time that is in other civilized locations. So if you put up 10 parks and people can on have enough time for 4 plus transportation, no gain will be seen. What they have now, 4 parks seems quite good. That's not to say that they can't expand and plus the parks they have now, but, adding a 5th gate would be a huge gamble and might not really add any additional revenue to Disney.

Joeamc

Yes, that it true, but, there is a law of diminishing returns. Like stated here, in this country we do not have the liberal vacation (holiday) time that is in other civilized locations. So if you put up 10 parks and people can on have enough time for 4 plus transportation, no gain will be seen. What they have now, 4 parks seems quite good. That's not to say that they can't expand and plus the parks they have now, but, adding a 5th gate would be a huge gamble and might not really add any additional revenue to Disney.
Good Point and well said. I just really believe that 4 parks were better than 3 (as far as keeping people on property longer) and 5 parks would be better than 4. Just my belief.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom