50's Prime Time or The Brown Derby

jerseygirl

Original Poster
Hi! I will be in Disney late September and would like some advice on where to eat @ Hollywood Studios? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

harveyt0206

I love Brown Derby. Grapefruit cake!! :slurp: I don't know if you are on the dining plan, but if you are the Brown Derby uses two points while Prime Time only uses 1 point. Just in case that is a consideration for you.

stlbobby

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a rollicking good time with one liners and comfort food go for 50's. If you want a more elegant meal, but not too stuffy, try the Brown Derby.

If you do the derby ask for a booth when you get to the podium. Even if you have to wait a bit longer it is worth it. The booths are on a higher level and and set back from the main dining area. The floor itself can be a bit crowded and noisy.

You can't go wrong with either choice.

Phonedave

Lately the Derby has not been worth two dining credits, based simply on it is not worth twice the price of Prime Time.

So if you are on the plan, maybe the Prime Time is right for you.

Me, I don't use the plan, and will go to the Brown Derby over the 50's Prime Time any time.

Think about going at lunch. It is less crowded, less expensive, and there is a mussels dish that they only make at lunch

AAAARGGH!!!

They took it off the menu

STEAMED PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND MUSSELS In grain mustard with shallots, chorizo, tomato and fried herb bread $8

It is no longer offered.

Well, something to add to the thread about foods you miss.

-dave

PoohBear119

DH and I had our first (and only) bad dining at The Brown Derby. It's not that I'm trying to swaying you by that, but this was the first inclination that Brown Derby may be going downhill a bit.

We haven't been back since.

jerseygirl

Original Poster
Thank You!

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I never book a restaurant at HS and usually get stuck with CS and ice cream bars so this time i am going prepared haha!!

Master Gracey 5

HUGE fan of the Brown Derby - easily one of my favorite restaurants on property. Never had a bad meal here and its a nice relaxing dinner after a day in the parks.

50s Prime Time is great too, with lots of fun CMs abot, but we like to treat ourselves on trips and if I had to pick just one restaurant at DHS it would be the Derby 100% of the time.

Mouse Man

Both places are good and both are unique. It all depends what you are up for. Want to laugh and joke a bit and have good comfort food then the Prime time hands down. Want more of a propper dinner atmosphere then the Brown Derby. I feel you can't go wrong it's just on how you feel that day.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Pretty much apples and oranges comparison. Both are nice in their own way.

Brown Derby is a nice upscale sitdown. Food is well above average and wait staff is very good. Some of the side rooms provide a nice quiet dining experience.

50's Prime Time is outstanding for it's theming and premise. Food is generally more along the lines of comfort food. Wait staff when in character adds a lot to the meal, particularly if you are a group dining. Some staff however doesn't really get into character, and you can feel left out of the fun surrounding tables are having.

JillC LI

Love the Brown Derby. Make sure to try the grapefruit cake and the cobb salad - they're known for both. You might even want to consider the Fantasmic package if you're planning on being at the park during the show.

patelaine1953

Guess it depends on whether or not you want to spend 2 dinner credits for BD or be able to have a sit down each day of your stay. Now I'm thinking of PT for upcoming trip in early December because I want to have a sit down dinner each night of the trip.

jerseygirl

Original Poster
Well we were going for lunch and will probably be eating at Downtown Disney that night which we have not decided on so far...The following evening my bf and I are having the sweetheart dinner at the California Grill sooooo we shall see...He may kill me before this trip is over hahaha!:ROFLOL:

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi! I will be in Disney late September and would like some advice on where to eat @ Hollywood Studios? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Brown Derby for sure! nom nom nom :slurp:

Pizza Planet (a CS) is also super delicious!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom