50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

peter11435

They cost MONEY to maintain and at Today's WDW that's reason enough to remove them. It's why the hub has nasty astroturf instead of grass.
That's actually not why there is "AstroTurf" in the hub. And that is only in two small areas. The rest of the hub is full of real live grass.

That's also not why they removed those trees in town square either. And up until set up for today's filming there were still trees in town square and there will be again shortly.

But I'm sure you don't want to confuse yourself with actual facts.

For the record I miss the trees and hate that they were removed. They shouldn't have been replaced. But that doesn't mean you should spread lies and misinformation about them.

Soarin' Over Pgh

@marni1971 Congratulations in another fantastic Spaceship Earth video!! Thoroughly enjoyed living what once was through your lens. My roommate joined in and actually commented on how cool it was to see what used to be- and made references to the current iteration (yuck). Jeremy Irons, FTW.

For those wondering about Dave, he's out and about but I don't think frequenting the forum at the moment.

No idea about @Lee but I do miss him and hope he's well.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think you also forgot JetBlue, one of the more "popular" carriers here in the US.

Yes. I did. I have only flown them once, believe it or not. Positive experience. I just have never found them to be less expensive and more convenient than the legacy carriers. And they have a very limited international route structure too (basically Caribbean, South and Central America).

Rodan75

I am going with the model of DL in 2005 and even what DLP looks like now.

The WDW 50th will be the biggest media splash in P&R history. Now, will it all be sparkle and style over substance? Or will it be all new blow your socks off stuff? I think it will be a bit of both.

If we see one new attraction at every park (that opens within a year of the 50th) and at least some of the MK opening day attractions see meaningful updates/refurb, I won't care if the other 40 items are fluff.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I dont often agree with your views on here but quoted for truth.

Welcome to the Dark Side. You will find out that it can be intoxicating ...

These are the people they need to win over. We 'dusters' are gonna go no matter what.

That's it. If I gush over Pandora or the new pyro show or a restaurant at DS, you know I am doing so because I believe it. Not because I'm looking for anything from Disney ... my price is much higher than cupcake parties or even a free week at the Poly. Much, much higher. The typical Disney Blogger? :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
I still paid for parking, an inedible electric umbrella burger, and about 4 starbucks Venti Black tea lemonades. As cool as I am and as against the grain as I sell myself as, I am just another mark.

It does make be feel better that I maybe ate 2/3 of that burger before I was just like F THIS! I went from 10am until 4pm without eating and was definitely felling the effects of it. Despite being extremely hungry I could only force myself to eat that much. I tried to eat a few times but it was a really busy day and not surprisingly, that was the only QS place that wasn't loaded with people.

Why Electric Umbrella? I shouldn't talk ... I had a meal there last fall ... but only because it was pouring rain and I got 20% with the new AP discount. Food was OK, but that is it. Although @WDWFigment has gushed about some burger there. I didn't have a burger. Some sandwich I can't recall ... meatball maybe.

WDW1974

Original Poster
While I fundamentally agree. I could see you being singled out, since unlike most of us, you do have connections at the company and they are aware of you who are.

The funny thing is people in Burbank know. People at TDO, including my pals George and Andy, know. Lots of folks. But the idiots in social media/Celebration Place had NO idea until a blogger trying to get more free crap told them about 3-4 years ago. It does tell you how well they run their little fiefdom. And, again, if they know who I am, they also know how much I spend (or somewhat as I do my best to cloud some of that with cash payments, gift cards etc.)

I have plenty of AP holder friends who are still in Central FL, they don't blog, they don't post, they aren't lifestylers in any way...outside of the fact that they have had APs for 5-10 years continuously. None of them were invited to the previews either.

So to your original point, they should have done some sort of AP Loyalty / Distance equation for the previews, it doesn't appear they did which is a shame because it would have been an easy way to reward Loyalty.

It's one thing to have an AP for 5-10 years. It is another to have one for 35 years. I'm sure you'd agree. ... But I have been clamoring for a loyalty program for 20 years. It is a lost cause. And if they started one tomorrow, they'd base it on your current spending and going forward. Obviously, I would have an issue with that.

They literally do nothing for us beyond giving us the lowest renewal rates for APs, which they now have extended to DVCers. So someone that bought 100 points at the BLT five years ago gets the same rate as we do. ... You'd think we'd get annual thank you cards with nice art and a truly LE pin or something ... extra discounts (meaning adding another 10-25% on top of what regular APers get) ... even private events. We get nothing. Absolutely nothing. And most CMs don't even know what we are or how to renew a pass (to be fair, most are younger than the APs they are renewing!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
The problem then is that all of the hip newbies to the scene <gasp> are at a disadvantage, so then Guest Relations gets inundated with complaints because they couldn't post "#exclusivepreview #disney #blessed" to their whopping 20 followers. They really just can't win, although, I highly agree that loyalty should be rewarded.

Absolutely true. But when your loyalty goes back to the early days of the Reagan Administration ... to when EPCOT Center was brand new ... to when WDW was an oasis of trees in the middle of nowhere ... to when the company was known as Walt Disney Productions ... to when there were only three Disney parks IN THE WORLD ... to when the current WDW President was front-line cast (I think he was a lead) ... well, I don't care that some crazy from Ohio who is living off the government or an ex-spouse and moved to Davenport in 2004 and bought an AP and lives at WDW thinks that their loyalty is even in the same stratosphere as mine and all Charters. Those are the people who frankly need to be slapped on the wrist (or upside the head) and told 'NO!!!' on a regular basis.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Kinda random but what happened to @Lee and @PhotoDave219 ? They never seem to pop in anymore but I also can't seem to really get on any other forums except News and Rumors and the other Disney parks forums.

They both have gone into semi-retirement here. Both moved out of FL a while ago, years for Lee. I know Dave popped in briefly a while ago and I have been meaning to get in touch with him. I do think their passion has left somewhat. I know it has with Lee ... I think 2016 was the first year in decades that he didn't step into a Disney or UNI park a single time.

At some point, you do need a cleansing from the fan community. While there are many great folks, the crazies can make it not worth your time. I wouldn't presume to speak for either of them, but I know Lee was a bit fed-up.

I still think you'll see them back at some point. But I don't blame them either ... too many people take this stuff to an unhealthy degree. And it is very hard to avoid the toxic ones (I don't use the ignore feature because as an adult I'd like to think I can ignore people who aren't worth my time).

WDW1974

Original Poster
I saw he was last here about a month ago. The last post stated he lost interest in Disney, so I get it.

Just wondering if they're both doing OK ... I'm assuming they are and just have lost interest in Disney. I've gone stretches of time without posting, it happens.

Lee hasn't posted since January but I think we'd hear something if anything happened.

Lee is fine. Talked to him this week, texted earlier today. I believe Dave is fine as well.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's actually not why there is "AstroTurf" in the hub. And that is only in two small areas. The rest of the hub is full of real live grass.

That's also not why they removed those trees in town square either. And up until set up for today's filming there were still trees in town square and there will be again shortly.

But I'm sure you don't want to confuse yourself with actual facts.

For the record I miss the trees and hate that they were removed. They shouldn't have been replaced. But that doesn't mean you should spread lies and misinformation about them.

The trees in the hub are NEVER coming back those 20 ft shrubs in pots will never grow to be mature trees. And yet the square footage of astroturf continues to increase as disney works to sneak it in more places.

Yeah I do have an agenda showing people the decline of quality and service at WDW.

HMF

I am going with the model of DL in 2005 and even what DLP looks like now.

The WDW 50th will be the biggest media splash in P&R history. Now, will it all be sparkle and style over substance? Or will it be all new blow your socks off stuff? I think it will be a bit of both.
That's pretty optimistic. I hope you are right but I seem to have less faith in WDC than even you do, especially right now. I am just hoping they don't ruin what's left of Epcot. What (if any) influence does Kalogridis have on this change of direction?

PhotoDave219

Kinda random but what happened to @Lee and @PhotoDave219 ? They never seem to pop in anymore but I also can't seem to really get on any other forums except News and Rumors and the other Disney parks forums.

Im around from time to time.... Real life has taken over for the time....

Plus I really dont have time to argue with Tommy-Boy's legion of Trump-ettes.... Tho my new fav follow on twitter is @WDWNNT WDW Not News Today....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom