5 months pregnant....rides?

spike3169

My friend is going to be 5 months pregnant on this trip and insists that she can still go on mostly everything. Obviously not any coasters, but is there a list of attractions that should be avoided or better still which ones are safe

sbkline

Maybe the first thing she should do is check with her Doctor and see what the Doc says about travelling and doing rides, and what types of rides would be safest.

Other than that, I know alot of rides will say that pregnant people should not ride, as well as those with heart trouble and such things. Rides such as Space Mountain, Tower of Terror and Thunder Mountain would probably be obvious ones that she shouldn't go on, while rides such as Pirates of the Caribbean, Small World and Living With the Land would be ones that I would consider harmless. Then, there are a bunch of "iffy" ones in between and those are probably the ones she should talk to the doctor about.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

If you really want a good set of tips, look for a book called PassPorter's Walt Disney World for Your Special Needs. It's got a lot of information about all sorts of special health concerns including pregnancy. My wife and I picked it up so we could continue our addiction while trying to start a family. There are many rides that you can ride while pregnant but basically anything that is bumpy or jerky, it is strongly advised to avoid that attraction. But this book has some good tips on how to mitigate that. Kilamanjaro Safari is not recommended for pregnant women according to the sings at the attraction, but the book recommends speaking with a CM and you'll get seated in the first row of the truck, which is the least bumpy.

Upvote 0

pluto3198

We went to WDW when my wife was 4 1/2 months pregnant. She avoided the more intense rides. She stayed away from the mountains in MK, TT and M:S in Epcot. In MGM she avoided ToT and RnRC. In AK we stayed away from Dinosaur and KRR (EE was not open yet). She had no problems with any of the other rides.

Most importantly she should check with her doctor because everyone's experience is different.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

One that you might not think to stay away from that I don't know if is safe or not is Kilimanjaro Safaris at AK. You hit some pot holes pretty good and the bridge can bang pretty good.

I only mention that one as it is one that some people might not think of. Obvious ones are the coasters.

Upvote 0

ELopez

I rode Kilamanjaro Safaris when I was quite pregnant and didn't think anything of it. I don't ride the "thrill rides" - pregnant or not, so that wasn't an issue. Other than the obvious, I think most rides are ok.

My biggest problem was the heat and all the walking. Tell her to be prepared! Plan for lots of breaks and don't try to overdo it!

Upvote 0

bayoutinkbelle

My biggest problem was the heat and all the walking. Tell her to be prepared! Plan for lots of breaks and don't try to overdo it!

No kidding! I saw several heavily pregnant women on my last trip this summer and always shook my head. I don't know how they did it.

I think the advice given by posters here is good, but the best advice is for her to check with her doctor and follow his advice and her own good sense. Two minutes on a thrill ride isn't worth the risk, is it?

But I know the agony of being a thrill-ride junkie and having to sit out while visiting a park. It happened to me while I was six months pregnant, at a non-Disney park. There was NOTHING for me to ride. Pregnant women have options at Disney, which is good. Just IMHO. :D

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I completely understand the desire to go to Disney and do a lot of rides, however I would absolutely check with my OB-Gyn before even attempting the trip at all. I Am probably being overcautious here but for this one better safe than sorry!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Aurora_25

No kidding! I saw several heavily pregnant women on my last trip this summer and always shook my head. I don't know how they did it.

The TTA was my best friend when I was 7 months pregnant at Disney. My daughter (who was 5 at the time) loved it and it allowed me to relax and put my feet up for a little while. I am sure the CMs that worked that ride really thought I was crazy for asking to go around again about 3 times in a row, but hey- I needed the rest and it kept my daughter happy too.

Kilimanjaro wasn't bad for me, but I know it can be an issue for some pregnancies. I didn't ride alot of the "big" rides and I stayed away from all the rollercoaster rides, but I did enjoy just being there with my family.

Upvote 0

Disneyfan1981

The funny thing is that my wife and I are thinking about starting a family but she is delaying it until AFTER our trip to WDW in April. She wants to ride all the rides too...

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

I was pregnant when we went to Disney in March. I went on the rides I liked (I am not a coaster type person) and still had a good time. Remind her to rest as much as possible, even leaving the park to return later. I felt much better after I would get back to the hotel and rest for an hour or so. I wrote the Kilamanjaro Safari, just sat in the 1st row. The ride is not as rough as it seemed to be when it first opened up.

Upvote 0

Dagger

Wow, you preggos are more brave than me! My daughter was born in August and I could barely go outside let alone walk around Disney in Florida!!! :p

Upvote 0

Dagger

I was pregnant when we went to Disney in March. I went on the rides I liked (I am not a coaster type person) and still had a good time. Remind her to rest as much as possible, even leaving the park to return later. I felt much better after I would get back to the hotel and rest for an hour or so. I wrote the Kilamanjaro Safari, just sat in the 1st row. The ride is not as rough as it seemed to be when it first opened up.

Your son was born on my b-day...congratulations!!! :wave:

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Wow, you preggos are more brave than me! My daughter was born in August and I could barely go outside let alone walk around Disney in Florida!!! :p

That was me, too, barely being able to go outside. We canceled our trip this past February because I was 7 months pregnant at that time and miserable(not to mention Katrina hurting the finances). We had made the reservations before I found out I was pregnant. I want the full effect of my Disney trip without pregnancy restrictions so we are going later now that I have had the baby.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

That was me, too, barely being able to go outside. We canceled our trip this past February because I was 7 months pregnant at that time and miserable(not to mention Katrina hurting the finances). We had made the reservations before I found out I was pregnant. I want the full effect of my Disney trip without pregnancy restrictions so we are going later now that I have had the baby.

In 2000 we were going to WDW and my wife and I were taking my 2 younger brothers who were 7 & 9. We had started trying to get pregnant in January and in Feb were successful. We were going in March and my wife figured it was ok she just would not do certain things. 2 weeks before we left she started getting ill at the drop of a hat. So close to the trip we decided to go and she spent half the trip back in the room. In hindsight we should have stayed home...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom