Trip Report 5 Adults vs 1 ten month old. Guess who won?!

Hi All!
Back from another stay at WDW and it was different for sure!
We had a new traveler with us and definitely did Disney differently for that reason and a few others.

I would like to give you guys a heads up before you read any further.
If you have read my trip report from last year you may be aware that my husband (Gary) is being treated for cancer and there are some references in here to how he is doing, because that changed a lot of how we toured this year.
If you are uncomfortable following along because not everything is pixie dust in this report, I will not in any way be offended if you click away. (I much prefer a sexy vampire book myself to a story that has moments of sadness)!
Luckily there were some great family/baby/children moments that brought us joy and new memories were made!

So with warning given and to those who are going to hang around, let's begin!

Our group consisted of myself, Cindy, my husband Gary, my son Seth, my daughter Aleisha our son-in-law Julio and our now 10 month old granddaughter Una. (And PS, she is a crazy girl)!!
We stayed at Bay Lake Oct. 21-27th.

Cast and crew (and one of my favorite pics of the whole trip).
IMG_3471 (2).JPG

To arrive at Disney everyone was coming from different places at different times. Gary and I headed down from Pittsburgh with an afternoon flight. We left around 2:15 pm and got in close to 4:40 pm-ish.
Us headed to the air side on our version of the monorail.
IMG_2866.JPG

We had time to eat at Friday's (I think it was). Gary had some potato skins that he liked and I had a kids mac and cheese and french fries that I thought tasted pretty good.
IMG_2874.JPG

In the meantime my little sleepy head was headed to Orlando from Sacramento with her mom. They started out at 6 am-ish, west coast time.
IMG_2873.JPG

She did seem to perk up to her usual nosy self once they were on board!
IMG_2872.JPG

One thing you will notice this trip is a disproportionate amount of baby pictures! 🤣
IMG_2882.JPG

Seth headed down from Georgia, deciding to drive.
IMG_2879.JPG

As crazy as it sounds, our 2 flights landed within 6 minutes of each other and we were able to meet Una and Aleisha as they got off of the monorail thing!
So excited to see this Mickey 50th wrap on one of the cars.
IMG_2885.JPG

And Grandpap and Una's airport meet up!!
IMG_2887.JPG

Julio wouldn't be arriving till the wee hours of Saturday am so we don't have any travel day pics of him.
Next up, is grabbing 800lbs of luggage and off to the Magic Bus!

LeighM

I can't help but laugh because camera phones make things so much easier but I usually see people taking selfies of themselves and ignoring everyone else around them LOL. My mom and uncle both lost their sense of taste. They said food tasted like cardboard and they could only taste sweet desserts. I vaguely remember a doctor mentioning some medication that can help improve taste for chemo patients but I can't remember the details bc it was too late for either of them. Is that something that might be possible for your husband? And I love the pictures of the awe on your granddaughters face! She's too precious.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
I can't help but laugh because camera phones make things so much easier but I usually see people taking selfies of themselves and ignoring everyone else around them LOL. My mom and uncle both lost their sense of taste. They said food tasted like cardboard and they could only taste sweet desserts. I vaguely remember a doctor mentioning some medication that can help improve taste for chemo patients but I can't remember the details bc it was too late for either of them. Is that something that might be possible for your husband? And I love the pictures of the awe on your granddaughters face! She's too precious.
Not just ignoring everyone, but walking into them too!
I know there is a med for appetite, I will ask about the med for taste. I'm not familiar with that, thanks.

MegRuss626

I agree totally. I admire people on here that seem to be able to recall so many details of their prior trips. And I honestly can't even remember which year we went on a lot of them, till we started to go with more regularity.
So when is Ryleigh's next trip?! 🤣

Its officially been a whole year since our last so naturally the creep has snuck in. Unfortunately, when we got the heavy rains here the beginning of September, it caused some unexpected (and 🤑) fixes to our basement and oil tank for our heater. We have also been planning on redoing our kitchen (MUCH needed) this spring. So adulting is making the trip further rather than sooner. I’m HOPING for a quick weekend trip next year sometime because I NEED to see the 50th decor! Stupid adulting! (Cue Ryleigh’s “stupid isn’t a nice word mom”)

LeighM

Not just ignoring everyone, but walking into them too!
I know there is a med for appetite, I will ask about the med for taste. I'm not familiar with that, thanks.

Maybe I'm thinking of the appetite meds. But there was something advised besides using food tricks, maybe zinc? I can't remember now because everything happened so fast that we didn't get to put any of it into practice. I just remember it would be a pill to swallow. Whatever the oncologist suggested to my Mom, hopefully yours can find something to help your husband!

Zipadeelady

Those pictures of Una on IASW are priceless. People ask why we go to Disney so often. It's those very first memories and pictures that make me come back over and over. My now 18 year old son was 2 1/2 his first trip and I have a picture of him hugging Chip with his eyes closed and the biggest smile on his face. I'd love to go back to that trip. :inlove:

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Its officially been a whole year since our last so naturally the creep has snuck in. Unfortunately, when we got the heavy rains here the beginning of September, it caused some unexpected (and 🤑) fixes to our basement and oil tank for our heater. We have also been planning on redoing our kitchen (MUCH needed) this spring. So adulting is making the trip further rather than sooner. I’m HOPING for a quick weekend trip next year sometime because I NEED to see the 50th decor! Stupid adulting! (Cue Ryleigh’s “stupid isn’t a nice word mom”)
I agree, stupid adulting!! 🤣
(Sorry Ryleigh)!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
But knowing my luck…..
who framed roger rabbit crying GIF
But you will be the coolest grandma!!!
Just awesome, and one I haven't seen before!
My other favorite saying is Holy Macaroni Balls Batman! I'm doubting there are any gifs for that one.
Those pictures of Una on IASW are priceless. People ask why we go to Disney so often. It's those very first memories and pictures that make me come back over and over. My now 18 year old son was 2 1/2 his first trip and I have a picture of him hugging Chip with his eyes closed and the biggest smile on his face. I'd love to go back to that trip. :inlove:
Just the absolute, sweetest memories!
It was totally worth that mad dash for those photos!!! I got tears in my eyes seeing her reactions.
I Love You Heart GIF
Funny you should say that. I typed up that section on It's a Small World and did have tears in my eyes!
But then, somehow I touched a key or something on the key board and it wiped out my entire text.
So when I was typing that a second time I was just Grumpy!🤣

MickeyCB

Original Poster
DAY 3 EPCOT DAY

So day3 started off with a huge trek to breakfast.
Down the elevator to the 5th floor, over the bridge from Bay Lake to the Contemporary, and straight across to Chef Mickey's!! 🤣
We could have practically gone to breakfast in our jammies! But since we had plans IMMEDIATELY after that wouldn't be practical.

No morning at Disney lately is complete without a boarding pass dash! We were trying to get a virtual queue spot for Ratatouille. The night before I asked Seth if he would help me at 7 am but he was a little reluctant to have to get up that early. Fine, I'll do it myself.
But when my alarm went off at 6:45 I went out to get coffee and he was already up, and said he would help!
I reminded him of our 9 am breakfast reservation (with park opening at 10 am), so if possible we didn't want a super early spot. (There's some real finesse needed to getting a spot and trying for a specific time frame).

So what does fast Freddie fingers do? Yep, you guessed it.
IMG_3084.PNG

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

So what should have been a nice leisurely breakfast at Chef Mickey's turned into something that looked like a hotdog eating contest at the county fair!
I asked the waitress to just go ahead and bring all of the food at the same time and we would hopefully be there long enough for Una to see the characters.
But luck was with us and she did indeed get to see some of the characters! And boy did she enjoy them!!!
That's her completely devoted dad, Julio. He got in at about 2 am!
IMG_3118.JPG

That photo above is her reaction to seeing Minnie for the first time. She went nuts!
IMG_3119.JPG

I don't drink too much, but was tempted with the hectic start to our day to order one of these delightful looking drinks! But resisted, because I'm not sure it was 5 o'clock anywhere yet!
IMG_3121.JPG

Next up was Pluto, and boy was she trying to get his attention after he moved on!
IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

He came back towards her and was doing a lot of antics in her direction and she loved it! It would have been great fun to get a few pics of her with the characters, but it was very nice to see her enjoying the show!
IMG_3128.JPG

Next up, my personal favorite!
IMG_3130.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

He spent a lot of time doing Mickey type things, and she didn't move, she was enthralled! That's Grandma's girl!!!
IMG_3134.JPG

Next a few food pics to prove we did eat!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Day 3 Epcot, Chef Mickey's, continued.

My favorite of course!🤣
IMG_3135.JPG

You are just never going to convince me there is anything better than a Mickey waffle eaten at Disney World. Never.
IMG_3136.JPG

But, I will say, these cheesy potatoes run a close second for sure! Yum!
IMG_3137.JPG

There was fruit, breakfast sweets, and yogurt also brought out, that I think you can see in the photos above.
Next up to visit was Goofy. Again Una was loving it!
IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

The show is over, it's time to jam some food in my mouth!
IMG_3144.JPG

We finished wolfing our food down and then Seth amused Una while we paid the bill.
IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3149.JPG

And now we were on our mad dash to get to not only Epcot but the other side of Epcot in time to claim our precious rat ride pass!

We went over to the monorail security screening area, and this is where I have to claim my genius status!🤣
It's been a very long time since we have had to worry about using a stroller, but I have watched many families struggle with them as they board the various transportation systems. Taking all of the junk off of them, folding them up etc. And then the family that doesn't seem to realize while they've waited 27 minutes for that bus that they could have had all of that junk off of their stroller, folded it and been waiting for the bus, vs blocking the doorway to the bus as they hurriedly try to do all of that.:rolleyes:
The other thing we've personally done in the past is bolted for a bus that is loading as we approach the bus stop and I was trying to figure out how we could be more efficient at all of this before we left home.

So, I bought on amazon, 3 fair size drawstring (of course Disney) bags. And in one we put all of the diaper crap (pun intended) that you need for diaper/clothes changing, etc. In another, all of her food paraphernalia. And in the 3rd misc. stuff like rain ponchos etc. Seth was the volunteer to carry a small backpack with our wallets, meds etc.
Any time we went through security, got on a bus or whatever, I simply threw a drawstring bag at each adult, someone grabbed the kid (on the buses), folded our cheap stroller up, and off we went. It worked really well. There were a couple of those mad bus dashes where I must have looked like a crazy woman throwing bags at family and someone was scooping the kid out of the stroller!

Next up Epcot!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom