4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
"Aggression" is one of the most misdiagnosed things with dogs. 99.9% of the time, a dog bite stems from anxiety, not aggression. We call them "fear bites". It can happen very quickly and with no easily observed signs. I mentioned the other day how the most common phrase I hear from dog owners is "it never happened before".

I do not think there will be many issues with dogs at WDW as most owners are very responsible. But it is the unknown scenario that can occur that can easily cause a "fear bite" or even a dog jumping on a small child and then you have a parent demanding compensation from Disney.
I don't think the motivation matters to the person whose arm is caught in the jaws of the dog...

David L.

We have reservations for April and have not been notified about this stupid idea. What idiot thought of this? I do not like the idea of sharing bed linen and towels that have been laundered with ones used by dogs. What is next, cats, pot belly pigs which are all pets. If these rooms are not booked by dog owners will they sit empty or given to others? You know Disney will not have empty rooms. What if a canine club decides to go here and reserve multiple rooms. Will I have to share my dining area with people covered with dog hair? Don't want to see them hear them or smell them.

Pixieish

I don't quite see the logic in this though. If they are already abusing the system and saying they have a service dog- how does this change that? I'm genuinely curious here. I think if they were going to abuse it, they probably already are and the option to pay more money per night to follow the rules won't do much to change that.

It's just making it easier for them. I think the increase will mainly be at the parks because now out-of-state people can easily bring their dogs with them to resorts, one little lie in line at the parks won't bother them. I honestly don't know why the law hasn't been changed...asking to see dog certification is a lot less of a privacy issue than asking about a person's disability, I just don't understand the logic in preventing a proof requirement of some kind.

My biggest problem with all this is that service dogs are extremely well-trained. Once their vest is on, they go into "on-duty" mode and you really shouldn't approach or pet them. They are working. Then we've got these people with their purse/stroller dogs claiming them to be service dogs, and it's just beyond ridiculous - an animal is not a fashion statement, nor should an animal that is not trained to do so accompany their owner everywhere.

I read a person complaining that someone had their dog actually sitting on one of the outdoor dining tables at Disney. That's just wrong on so many levels.

21stamps

Definitely agree, like I said my concern is the governing of this. Now I've until the Obama's I never knew there was anything called a "hypoallergenic" dog and I admit to be skeptic that all of a sudden everyone swears they have one. lol cause in my big city retrievers, pit bulls, mutts and rat terriers seem to be the rag but be that as it may, Disney doesn't do well with forcing folks to adhere to rules, so I'll be surprised if they do better in this case.

This is Hobbes the dog, lol we love him. He's a senior now, almost 14 years old. He's going blind and getting wobbly, my son know that he has more years behind him than in front of him and while we love him and will miss him, I can guarantee you they miss their dad way more, who lost his battle with cancer a few years back. That's why I find it hard when people say "I'd be just as upset if my dog dies as if my kid died". yeah let your child die and then get back.

View attachment 238757

I’m very sorry to hear about that. My heart goes out to your family. Your dog is adorable btw :)
Hypoallergenic dogs have actually been around for more several centuries though.. I think a lot of people just aren’t aware of them.

On the dog/child death comment, I just don’t see why the comparison needs to be made. I can’t even imagine saying those words. I will absolutely heartbroken when the time comes for my dog to die.. I don’t need to compare or even think about the same with my child.
Based on your post you have no experience or understanding of allergies. Sensitivity varies from each person from mild to severe and the ones who are in the severe category can get sick in a matter of minutes just from being in close proximity. They have zero control over it. This is not a choice for them they live with this problem everyday. Throwing out random remarks about how people encounter animals in everyday life and seem to be fine is silly. Because after that encounter you really don't know what happened to that person for the rest of that day. They may have suffered for hours after who knows. I know because I have a severe cat allergy. Just a few minutes around a cat and I'm done, it takes several hours for my asthma to settle down. Try running around the block and when your out of breath , breathe through a straw, that's close to what it feels like. And for some of these conditions no amount of preventive meds will help and why should I put these drugs into my system in case I encounter your pet? In many situations people can avoid exposure but the chance of being on a plane or in a motel room that has or had an animal becomes a big problem for a person with a allergic situation. The irony to me is I'm not allergic to dogs at all and I have had many, I think their great. But I am against this idea because I am sensitive to the folks who have allergies and I see trouble brewing unless this new policy takes all this into consideration. I think all the room swapping etc. is going to be a pain in the backside for Disney and this may get phased out or severely modified if they in fact stay with it.

I’m not saying this to sound heartless, at all. I sympathize with anyone who has allergies.
However, the world can not revolve around someone’s allergy.

What do people with such severe allergies do in every day life? What do they do when they go to Disney now? Ask to be moved if a service dog is in the same resort as they’re staying in?

Hotels have been doing this for years. People in this thread may act like Disney is inventing the wheel.. but they’re not. All other hotels have obviously figured it out, I trust Disney will as well.

Last edited:

Nemo14

We are staying at a dog- friendly hotel in VA this week to work on our son’s home. As we were leaving this morning a man came into the lobby with a full size poodle on a leash. One of the staff members was refilling the coffee area when the dog jumped up on her, knocking her to the floor. The owner’s response? “ He never does that at home!” :rolleyes:

21stamps

This is so cute!

Yes! Dogs give off so many warning signs and I would venture a guess that true "out of nowhere" bites are extremely rare. It is one of many reasons I wouldn't bring my dogs. My younger one is a Golden and he would be fine with new people. My older one is a Shiba Inu mix who isn't terribly fond of children because she's never really known any. The number of parents who let their kids run up to her with no regard to her body language- it makes me crazy! I can't imagine having her somewhere like Disney with so many kids around. She'd be miserable. It's so rare to find a kid who knows to ask permission before petting, sadly.

I do think most dog owners are smart enough to figure out if this is a good idea for their dog or not (I bet most say not). I'd imagine it will mostly be used by people within driving distance because there is also no way I'd trust any airline with either of my dogs.

About the kids and parents— exactly!! Don’t let your kid run up to my dog and try to pick him up. It drives me nuts. Teach your Kids to not run up to dogs and just grab or touch them without permission.

Mander

In the Parks
No
It's just making it easier for them. I think the increase will mainly be at the parks because now out-of-state people can easily bring their dogs with them to resorts, one little lie in line at the parks won't bother them. I honestly don't know why the law hasn't been changed...asking to see dog certification is a lot less of a privacy issue than asking about a person's disability, I just don't understand the logic in preventing a proof requirement of some kind.

My biggest problem with all this is that service dogs are extremely well-trained. Once their vest is on, they go into "on-duty" mode and you really shouldn't approach or pet them. They are working. Then we've got these people with their purse/stroller dogs claiming them to be service dogs, and it's just beyond ridiculous - an animal is not a fashion statement, nor should an animal that is not trained to do so accompany their owner everywhere.

I read a person complaining that someone had their dog actually sitting on one of the outdoor dining tables at Disney. That's just wrong on so many levels.

I agree with what you say about service animals. I used to manage a front desk at a large national park hotel and it is a problem. I find that small dogs are the ones most often lied about but it's hard because small dogs can be service animals, it just isn't as common. My company's policy was not to ask additional questions if someone claimed they had a service dog. I can think of twice that we had any issues (and one of them was caused my kids running through our lobby and startling the dog) but it is frustrating for all involved.

I still don't think I see how this will increase dogs in parks. It takes a special kind of person to lie about a service animal and I really think those people are already doing it but I guess we will have to see! And yeah- dogs shouldn't sit on tables. I love my dogs and am covered in their fur pretty much all the time but I wouldn't want to eat off of anywhere they had just been sitting!

21stamps

I had my arm nowhere near the Wiemaraner that vaulted the fence between his house and the road I was cycling on... so no, the victim is not always to blame for the bite.

Yes sometimes complete “out of nowhere” attacks happen. They’re the exception, not the norm.

Pixieish

I agree with what you say about service animals. I used to manage a front desk at a large national park hotel and it is a problem. I find that small dogs are the ones most often lied about but it's hard because small dogs can be service animals, it just isn't as common. My company's policy was not to ask additional questions if someone claimed they had a service dog. I can think of twice that we had any issues (and one of them was caused my kids running through our lobby and startling the dog) but it is frustrating for all involved.

I still don't think I see how this will increase dogs in parks. It takes a special kind of person to lie about a service animal and I really think those people are already doing it but I guess we will have to see! And yeah- dogs shouldn't sit on tables. I love my dogs and am covered in their fur pretty much all the time but I wouldn't want to eat off of anywhere they had just been sitting!

A big part of the problem too is that it's all too easy to get your hands on fake documents for your dog. The government really needs to step up their game in this department because the ones who suffer in the long run are those who actually NEED a service dog.

Mander

In the Parks
No
A big part of the problem too is that it's all too easy to get your hands on fake documents for your dog. The government really needs to step up their game in this department because the ones who suffer in the long run are those who actually NEED a service dog.

Absolutely agree. That's why we had our policy set the way we did- we never wanted to cause trouble for a person with an actual service animal. I know it means we let folks who lied stay but I'd rather that than causing harm to someone who needs their animal. The process could definitely be improved upon for all involved!

Driver

I’m very sorry to hear about that. My heart goes out to your family.

On the dog/child death comment, I just don’t see why the comparison needs to be made. I can’t even imagine saying those words. I will absolutely heartbroken when the time comes for my dog to die.. I don’t need to compare or even think about the same with my child.

I’m not saying this to sound heartless, at all. I sympathize with anyone who has allergies.
However, the world can not revolve around someone’s allergy.

What do people with such severe allergies do in every day life? What do they do when they go to Disney now? Ask to be moved if a service dog is in the same resort as they’re staying in?

Hotels have been doing this for years. People in this thread may act like Disney is inventing the wheel.. but they’re not. All other hotels have obviously figured it out, I trust Disney will as well.
I understand and respect your opinion we just look at this from different angles and that's ok too. This is a discussion it should not end up being an argument about who is right or wrong. Unfortunately what happens on this forum too many times is people become disrespectful in their remarks. And it starts! It's hard to "read" intentions or sarcasm sometimes and a little harmless joke or remark gets ugly. I also feel like some purposely speak out (cowards) because they hide behind a keyboard knowing they can say things they would never say in person because it isn't nice. And please know I am not implying this toward you I am just stating an observation.

21stamps

I understand and respect your opinion we just look at this from different angles and that's ok too. This is a discussion it should not end up being an argument about who is right or wrong. Unfortunately what happens on this forum too many times is people become disrespectful in their remarks. And it starts! It's hard to "read" intentions or sarcasm sometimes and a little harmless joke or remark gets ugly. I also feel like some purposely speak out (cowards) because they hide behind a keyboard knowing they can say things they would never say in person because it isn't nice. And please know I am not implying this toward you I am just stating an observation.

I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful, I asked a sincere question. I don’t know if people ask to move if a service dog is at their resort..and I don’t know if Disney would accommodate that request.. which is why I asked.

fngoofy

Or you could just stay at one of the many, many WDW resorts that doesn't allow dogs. Or in the part of the dog-friendly resorts without dog-friendly rooms.

Some dogs don't like being separated from their owners for long periods of time, and vice versa.

1) My wife and I honeymooned at one of these resorts, so we like to go back to it sometimes. So it isn't as cut and dry an issue of "just pick another resort" as you state.
2) If you can't emotionally be away from your pet for 7 days you should:
a) Choose not to be away that long
b) Get therapy, because you need help if you are that fragile...seriously.

Also, let's put this in perspective. People can't smoke in 99.98% of WDW now because it bothers other people.
How is this any different? (and 2nd hand smoke is a fallacy, if that's your strawman dig into the subj. a bit and you'll find the facts.)
This new culture of "I need my emotional support animal on the flight, in my room, with me at the grocery store * " is weak and pathetic.
*excluding true service dogs, I'm talking about fifi in a carry on, not a true service dog

Seriously, board your pet, how is leaving them in the room for 7hrs any good for the pet anyway?

suechris2

As someone who is allergic to dogs I simply do not want to stay in a room where there was a dog. Eventually the dog fur/hair,dander and smell gets in to the rooms and the maid service is not going to clean every inch of the rooms to get rid of all evidence of a dog. They don't have the time to clean each room that well. They would need to have designated rooms that are set aside for this kind of thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom