4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

BlindChow

I do certainly understand the love and companionship an animal can bring, but more and more these days they are used as crutches. Barrier's to developing meaningful relationships with actual humans.
Ah yes. Because all human relationships are rewarding and healthy. Humans are unquestionably Good™. Having a cat or dog and no boy-/girlfriend is definitely a sign of a diseased mind. To the sanatorium with them, I say!

AEfx

Ah yes. Because all human relationships are rewarding and healthy. Humans are unquestionably Good™. Having a cat or dog and no boy-/girlfriend is definitely a sign of a diseased mind. To the sanatorium with them, I say!

The funny thing about this topic is how people only seem to read three or four words of a post and immediately jump to this emotional, defensive place. You see it at least once every page of this thread.

Yes, that's exactly what she said - if you are single and have a dog or cat you are diseased.

Yup, totally accurate - you read that entire post and you made a totally reasonable reply reflecting your understanding of the point she was making.

AEfx

Any room you've ever stayed in at any Disney resort the previous guest could have had a dog.

And what's your point?

Are you denying that the frequency of this happening is going to not drastically go up? Do I need to repost the links to all the news articles that are publicizing this? There are many more now than there were a day or two ago when I posted a sample of them.

It's really funny that the "pro-dog" folks seem to MOSTLY (I have to put that in caps because of #1) fall into two categories of posts -

1) Overly defensive posts that are in reply to posts they don't even seem to have read, completely devoid of and ignoring any facts presented, or

2) Pithy comments like this that are either misleading, or irrelevant, at best

AEfx

Well, it might be true that certain dogs aren't inherently dangerous. But, if a Fox Terrier misbehaves and nips at you, no harm, no foul. See what happens when a Pit Bull gets startled and takes a chunk out of a toddler's arm! Given the volume of 'free range children' at the resorts, it's only a matter of time before dog bite incidents become too frequent for Disney to continue this ill-advised doggie program.

View attachment 238727

But not MY furbaby! He would never do anything like that. That's only other dogs.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am well aware of what goes on in hotel rooms. I brought up the issue of fleas as no one else has. My dog is allergic to fleas so it would be a concern to me and if you have ever experienced a flea bites( right up there with bed bugs) I can put up with the other things that might have gone on in a hotel room not fleas

Flea bites for humans are no fun AT ALL initially painful and itch for days on end. Plus like ticks they are a vector for some diseases as fleas are not discriminating as to the mammals they feed upon

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It would be a far cooler and unique concept than "Hey you can bring your dog to any of these 4 hotels and have it stay in your room while you're at a theme park all day."

Plus it would ensure that dogs would have just as much fun as their owners during their stay at Disney.

What's forgotten is that dogs like people are SOCIAL animals and the barking and howling is an attempt at communicating with OTHER dogs.

In the early morning/evening in our area each of the dogs in our area bark for a bit, being geeks we refer to it as the 'BARKNet' in reality its the extended 'pack' checking in.

Doggie day care allows dogs to socialize with each other unlike the isolation this plan enforces on fogs

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This whole thing is odd. When I think of hotels that accept dogs, I think of cheap Best Westerns in rural areas, and on the other extreme you have the 4 and 5 stars in Manhattan where dogs are considered fashion accessories.

It doesn't seem like either of these fit Disney's model. I could see them doing this at the campgrounds and one or two of the uber-deluxe resorts. Basically to try and reach a NEW customer base (those who would rather stay at a Four-Seasons and bring their dog or those who would rather camp outside the park to bring their pets.

But how many people in the middle tier of hotel budget were choosing to not stay in a Disney resort due to pets? I can't imagine it's alot.

Being IN one of those rural areas with cheap best westerns that accept dogs generally up here they have full kennel facilities as the type of dog being travelled with is usually a 'working' dog like a sheepdog/tracking dog/hunting dog.

The Best Westerns have this better thought out because they DONT generally have deep pockets.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's actually a bit frightening how little dog owners understand about dogs, but it explains a lot of things.
Try to talk to a pitbull owner about selective breeding for instance. About what the dog was bred for, and how those genetic behaviors are wired in.
They'll show you a picture of a baby sleeping on a pitbull. :banghead:
Again, much of this stems from people believing that dogs are hair covered humans.
It does neither the dog, nor the people that have to deal with them any service.

Yes most people have no idea that the major non-Toy breeds have been bred for generations for specific characteristics.

Great Pyrenees for instance are 'perimeter' dogs bred to guard people and livestock from predators. Once they 'know' the boundaries they will constantly patrol them. And when they bark 'something' is there it may be a deer, moose bear or another dog or person.

But with Great Pyrenees we dont lose chickens to coyotes or beehives to bears. So yes we are using our dogs for their intended purpose i.e. a farmers dog.

Interestingly enough the breeder suggested we train the dogs with commands in German she noted that in her experience GP's recognied the commands better in German. One would think French but no German works better

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've reviewed liability insurance data. Pitbulls are incredibly, incredibly dangerous.

Staffordshire Terriers are war dogs they as a breed were developed as weapons of war. And while some are incredibly gentle (i've known some owned by acquaintances) they can strip a gear and go medieval in an instant.

Like any weapon these dogs are inherently dangerous and its not helped by people who buy them as guard dogs and train them to be aggressive

21stamps

I’m getting a kick out of all of the google dog experts here.lol

I’m assuming that person has never seen or experienced the bond between a child and a dog.

Yes most people have no idea that the major non-Toy breeds have been bred for generations for specific characteristics.

Great Pyrenees for instance are 'perimeter' dogs bred to guard people and livestock from predators. Once they 'know' the boundaries they will constantly patrol them. And when they bark 'something' is there it may be a deer, moose bear or another dog or person.

But with Great Pyrenees we dont lose chickens to coyotes or beehives to bears. So yes we are using our dogs for their intended purpose i.e. a farmers dog.

Interestingly enough the breeder suggested we train the dogs with commands in German she noted that in her experience GP's recognied the commands better in German. One would think French but no German works better

Actually I said that a few days ago when talking about different breeds needing different degrees of exercise., and was questioned for “proof” on such a statement of activity needs.lol

This is entertaining for sure. Some people have serious issues with the thought of other people owning dogs. I never knew that existed before.. not being a fan of a dog, sure. Obsessing over other people with dogs, nope didn’t know that was a thing.

21stamps

I’m sure they will. There is no weight limit so it’s allowed within the rules. Some hotels have a weight limit for dogs like 40 lbs. I think it’s just wrong to discriminate against a dog that’s just carrying a few extra pounds;)

I’m talking about the logistics of traveling with a dog of that size. It’s a lot of extra trips to the car, and a lot more cargo space used- for the dog and dog’s gear.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I’m getting a kick out of all of the google dog experts here.lol

I’m assuming that person has never seen or experienced the bond between a child and a dog.

Actually I said that a few days ago when talking about different breeds needing different degrees of exercise., and was questioned for “proof” on such a statement of activity needs.lol

This is entertaining for sure. Some people have serious issues with the thought of other people owning dogs. I never knew that existed before.. not being a fan of a dog, sure. Obsessing over other people with dogs, nope didn’t know that was a thing.

I'm no expert on Dogs or Cats for that matter we probably should have a BatPhone for the vet for all the questions we ask :)

21stamps

Well, it might be true that certain dogs aren't inherently dangerous. But, if a Fox Terrier misbehaves and nips at you, no harm, no foul. See what happens when a Pit Bull gets startled and takes a chunk out of a toddler's arm! Given the volume of 'free range children' at the resorts, it's only a matter of time before dog bite incidents become too frequent for Disney to continue this ill-advised doggie program.

View attachment 238727

When we purchased my dog we had to sign an agreement with the breeder -stating that we didn’t have children under the age of 7, and were not planning on getting pregnant in the next 2 years.
Nope, not because of fear for the child.. but fear for the dog being harmed by a child.

Parents should teach their kids not to approach unknown dogs without asking the owner...for the child’s safety, and the dog’s.

Is today Day 2 or Day 3 of the new pet policy? Any reports of giant aggressive dogs yet?

John park hopper

I've reviewed liability insurance data. Pitbulls are incredibly, incredibly dangerous.
As an example of how dangerous and unpredictale they can be: wife was an ER nurse for many years had a guy mid 50s come in to the ER with his face all bitten up requiring over 100 stiches. Turns out he was asleep on the couch and a pitbull he had for several years (never a problem in the past) attacked him out of the blue. As a dog owner IMO no one should own a pitbull ----- I'm sure I willl draw a lot of flack form pitbull owners

21stamps

I wonder if Disney would do a Halloween event for dogs.. at MK, not all of the parks. It’s common elsewhere. I think that could be really cute, especially now that people can bring their dogs and plan for. I’m talking one or two nights only event with specific hours, not daily.

eliza61nyc

Why are you so invested in insulting people who love their dogs like a child?

Is it harming you in any way at all? How does someone loving an animal and taking a well behaved dog places with them doing any harm to anyone?

But it does do harm. I have been in a restaurant where someone brought a dog and the dog immediately peed in the middle of the floor. Yeah that's what I like to smell (and it did smell) while having dinner. Now the patron was mortified and it was immediately cleaned up but the damaged was done. quite a number of folks left and I've been passed the establishment, they no longer allow dogs into their restaurant.
It's not about insulting people but imo, if you cannot tell the difference between a human and an animal there is a problem.
Now will it kill others No it won't but is that the bar dog owners set?? I'm good as long as I don't kill, maim or cause some one to have an asthma attack???
You can love anyone or any thing you wish. kiss it, carry it, whatever. I'm cool. Now I have two dogs, both are mutts german shepard mixes and I also have children. I've yet to mistaken one for the other, so I do find it hard that someone would actually say they are the same emotionally and truthfully I find that concept scary.

DisneyFreak

I wonder if Disney would do a Halloween event for dogs.. at MK, not all of the parks. It’s common elsewhere. I think that could be really cute, especially now that people can bring their dogs and plan for. I’m talking one or two nights only event with specific hours, not daily.

Howling Horror Nights. Adult ticket prices $100, Child 3-9 $90, Pet $80.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom