4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

ABQ

The "policy" appears to be being re-written hourly. They released the maps with doggie Doo areas, implying restricted areas, but initially didn't impose any restrictions of room types. Later they said YC will allow dogs in any garden, water, pool view rooms excluding club level, so anywhere in the resort, and at POR again any non- preferred rooms. After the number of requests to be away from dog areas, they decided to allocate certain blocks at POR as dog-friendly, but no guarantees are given.

Crucially you don't have to notify Disney in advance that you intend to bring a dog, so if someone turns up with a dog, they might have to be allocated another room, according to what room type they booked.

They are trying to move people where possible, those booked at YC are so far being offered several other deluxe options. But those at POR and AoA are finding there's lmuch less alternative availability.

I expect they will be updating the policy to try and make sure dogs are pre-booked, so they can allocate different rooms / blocks as they need to.
Hilarious, they have truly screwed the pooch with this lack of planning, it seems.

Chernaboggles

Because when you think Orlando and Florida and hot, obviously Husky is what goes with it. o_O

Right?! That's what I thought. I asked an owner, and it turns out that the double-coat that keeps them warm in cold climates also helps keep them comfortable in warm ones. They don't suffer more than any other dog in Orlando temps, but boy does it look weird to see sled dogs running around under the palm trees.

DisneyFreak

We ran into that same list when we checked with our insurance before getting the puppy. I understand why companies make those rules, but I'm glad Disney didn't (yet) get on board that particular trend. Of course, maybe they knew better: seems like every other dog we meet at Orlando area dog parks is a Husky! It's interesting to see what dogs are popular in different places.

Maybe Disney realizes every dog is different instead of going the breed profiling route. Our older Akita was brought up in a Townhouse community so she socialized with many other dogs and people. Our younger Akita was about a year old when we moved to a single family house so she was never walked because we had a fenced in yard. She ended up being more protective which is more typical of the Akita breed.

Chernaboggles

The "policy" appears to be being re-written hourly. They released the maps with doggie Doo areas, implying restricted areas, but initially didn't impose any restrictions of room types. Later they said YC will allow dogs in any garden, water, pool view rooms excluding club level, so anywhere in the resort, and at POR again any non- preferred rooms. After the number of requests to be away from dog areas, they decided to allocate certain blocks at POR as dog-friendly, but no guarantees are given.

Crucially you don't have to notify Disney in advance that you intend to bring a dog, so if someone turns up with a dog, they might have to be allocated another room, according to what room type they booked.

They are trying to move people where possible, those booked at YC are so far being offered several other deluxe options. But those at POR and AoA are finding there's lmuch less alternative availability.

I expect they will be updating the policy to try and make sure dogs are pre-booked, so they can allocate different rooms / blocks as they need to.

Thank you for this update! I'm really curious to see the evolution of the policies and how they work in practice.

ABQ

Ready, Fire, Aim seems to be SOP at Disney recently
Yeah, it's not surprising, but in this one, it makes zero sense. they weren't trying to beat someone to market, to hit a holiday deadline or anything. Don't see why they didn't announce now to open the resorts to dogs later and plan at least something sensible for a roll out.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, it's not surprising, but in this one, it makes zero sense. they weren't trying to beat someone to market, to hit a holiday deadline or anything. Don't see why they didn't announce now to open the resorts to dogs later and plan at least something sensible for a roll out.

The 'Holy' PRGS is falling according to some insiders and I'm guessing this was brought forward as a cheap and easy boost

Bronson55

I mean, I don't see a reason why mobility scooters are allowed. If you're not disabled then you shouldn't be able to use one, that doesn't stop a bunch of overweight Wisconsinites from nearly running me over with them.

I think there are a ton of poorly behaved kids at Disney, being gross at meals, doing stupid things. I'd prefer not to see them, but that's not the way things are.

I'm not going to use this as we board our corgi for Disney trips anyway and I don't need to spend my vacation watching my dog. But I can understand someone else wanting to and I'm sure a lot of these pups will be better behaved than the kids.

Bronson55

Wow! ....I was wondering how long before someone was able to sneak a fat scooter driver comment into this thread.

Your intolerance for anyone not up to your high health standards is sad but not suprising, it seems to be the route half the country has taken in recent years. On the other hand it is impressive that you can diagnose people just by looking at them .

I have heard of extremely rare cases in which someone seems to be over weight but also has lung cancer, bone , knee and even heart problems. I'm assuming you are a physician so you are probably already aware of these freak occurrences.

I can assure you from first hand experience that using a mobility scooter in WDW is no piece of cake. People have tripped over me while I was not moving, kids have run directly into my path . Most are in a hurry to catch up or are looking everywhere but where they are going. Are there idiot drivers , you bet. Are they in the majority I think not. Perhaps the real issue is that many people feel cheated by having to wait while an ECV gets loaded on a bus and to top it off some guests at times get on attractions easier.

Stupid self absorbed people abound . I just deal with it the same way I deal with rude ,loud,obnoxious, offensive smelling people. I am not consumed by them nor do they ruin my vacation.

As far as dogs, personally I think it,s great. WDW is not a medical facility. The valid concerns many had seems to have been addressed. The rest are just ridiculously over blown.

Perhaps many people just needed a new outlet since the Hall of Presidents trauma has subsided for now.

21stamps

I used to have two Japanese Akitas and there were some home insurance companies that would not write us a policy because this breed was on their "list" which also included Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rotts, German Shepards, Chows, Huskies, Boxers and Wolf hybrids.
Weight restrictions are usually just a sneaky way of saying "No pitbulls". In my experience, even hotels with weight limits will happily make an exception when I tell them I have a well-trained Labrador. While admittedly biased, I'm glad Disney didn't try to play that game, especially since the three most popular breeds in the country are all big dogs (Labs, German Shepherds & Golden Retrievers).

I guess it depends where you stay. Like I said, I try to seek out the weight restriction.. typically 30lbs or less, but I have stayed at hotel that allow larger breeds and it’s been fine.
Both the apartment and later condo buildings I lived in had very strict 20lb requirements.

I think a lot has to do with liability and damage. I love big dogs too, but I know that my dog as a puppy couldn’t inflict the same destruction as a lab puppy even if he wanted to,lol.
My main reason for preferring the hotels and residences with weight limits is because of safety for my dog. A big dog could accidentally kill my dog with a playful slap.
That said, it’s my responsibility as an owner of a small dog to make sure that my dog is safe. Which means that I pick him up if large breeds are around.

I do like all breeds, I understand the weight limits though, and think people should follow whatever rules are in place. People choose hotels for all different reasons.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
5 more pages…same results. A lot of you people need to take a step back and actually read what you are writing and what other people are saying. The number of people who actually want to bring their dog with them to WDW or really any hotel is very small. It’s even a small percentage of overall dog owners. I think maybe some people think it’s a lot more common than it is because of the online echo chamber that exists in every aspect of life today. There are plenty of websites and forums dedicated to traveling with pets. If you frequent those places a lot it probably seems like everyone is doing it, but they are not. If the majority of dog owners brought their dogs with them to hotels all of those policies would be gone and every hotel would go back to being dog free. The policies only work because it is a very small number of people and rooms impacted.

On the flip side the number of people who are highly opposed to allowing any non-service dogs at WDW is also small. It doesn’t matter if it’s because of allergies or phobias or dog hate or just because. The vast majority of visitors won’t care either way as long as it doesn’t impact them. That doesn’t mean you don’t have a right to be opposed, just that you are in a minority too. If Disney does a poor job administering the program and enforcing the rules that group could quickly become the majority.

Many posters from both of these groups are continuing to call each other names and belittle each other’s point of view. The irony is that both groups are self-centered but continue to accuse the other side of being that without realizing they are doing the exact same thing. There is really nothing wrong with being self-centered in this case, but own it and stop trying to call out the other side. You just sound foolish.

It’s a fact that many hotel chains allow dogs in their rooms. That’s been discusses over and over and over in this thread. It’s also a fact that in nearly 50 years of existence WDW has never allowed dogs at the resorts. Whether you like it or not, this change is Disney reversing their policy to placate a small minority of potential visitors. You can call it selfish on the part of the dog people but they asked for it and Disney said yes then your gripe is with Disney not the dog people. Disney also has to decide if they care to address the desires of the opposition group or potentially lose them as customers. The obvious answer is to tell them to just stay in another resort. That works and the counter argument that people will not be able to stay at their preferred resort because it’s dog friendly is really being self-centered, again as long as this doesn’t spread to other resorts. How long after this is implemented will we start to hear dog people saying something like “I’m glad I could bring Fido with me to Disney but I really want to stay at the Polynesian next trip, why don’t they just expand it to all resorts. It works so well at the existing ones”. And if you don’t think that will happen you are kidding yourself. Remember the biggest argument in favor of this is the first place is that it’s acceptable at other hotels why not Disney. Then Disney has to decide to either expand and alienate anti-dog guests or hold firm with a select few resorts. They will be making that decision without the feelings of anyone in mind. It’s a pure business decision.

Tony the Tigger

Basically what is happening here is people are viewing a luxury (bringing your dog with you while you travel) more important than people's necessity (not having severe allergic reactions).

Then I guess Disney had better get rid of all bees. Last time I got stung by a bee, my skinny leg blew up like a football. It was Benadryl 24/7 for days. (I don't remember those days, but I'm aware they existed.) NO BEES at Disney World, because my necessity is not having severe allergic reactions.

:rolleyes:

Bringing your dog to WDW is absolutely a luxury. I still have no idea why someone would want to do this in the first place but it does seem like people are interested.

Since some people apparently can't see beyond their own circumstances, maybe an anecdote will help (although I doubt it, since they've been repeatedly, stubbornly ignored on this thread.)

I don't *need* to bring my dog everywhere. Most of my WDW trips are 2 to 3 nights. We have a local sitter who will come to the house 3 times a day. The dog stays in her own home, and we wonder if that isn't better than being in a kennel.

The sitter is great overall, but not always perfect. She can fall asleep and let the dog stay longer than 8 hours overnight before she goes in the morning. (And yes, I am checking on my home alarm app while we are at the parks.)

Sometimes when we return home, we find out puppy has gotten sick. She's also very happy to see us for the first 10 minutes, and then as standoffish as a cat for the next day.

Some other times, we bring her with us to Orlando. In that case, to date, we couldn't stay on property. We'd stay at a Red Roof or a La Quinta. WE NEVER ONCE left her in the room. Not for 10 minutes. One of us would go for food, or we would order in. We would do no Disney the first night so she could settle in. When we did go to the parks during the day, we took her to Best Friends Pet Care. If we were going to be gone most of the day (we're getting older and that doesn't happen as often) we will go visit her once or twice during the day (see my trip reports.)

While I may feel bad leaving her in the kennel during the day, this is the fact: when we turn onto Bonnet Creek Parkway, she knows where we are and gets all excited. She knows she will see other dogs. She knows we will play with her out back for a good 30 minutes to tire her out before she goes into her indoor/outdoor space (bigger than a cage or crate.) Side note: it's better to tire her out first by playing outside, because she'll be more tired than anxious.

Until the recent hurricane episode, we never left her overnight. We'd pick her up at night, take her back to the room with us, and have a "normal" night's sleep. Sometimes we'd break up her day at BFPC with an ice cream treat; sometimes with a bath. :eek:

She never got sick under those circumstances.

So, while you can see positives and negatives for both situations, my interpretation is that she is less stressed and anxious when her daytimes at boarding are broken up by nighttimes with her family all in the same room.

Now, she may be different from other dogs, she had some separation anxiety when we first adopted her (at 7 months) because the previous family that adopted her thought she was too much trouble and brought her back. Once she got comfortable with us (about 7 years ago) that separation anxiety greatly decreased, but it's in the back of my mind, as in, "I hope she doesn't think we're never coming back for her."

She is also a bit unusual in that she rarely - and I mean rarely - ever barks in day to day life. Notable exceptions: cats, and doorbells. Other than that, there can be other dogs barking in the yard next door, and she does not bark.

So I, as a dog owner, feel perfectly responsible to her, and to other guests, by bringing her to Port Orleans at night and taking her to BFPC during the day. I dare anyone to contradict that with something real.

People aren't dusting all of their bed sheets, pillows and carpet in peanut butter.

Nor are you sleeping in those bedsheets the next night. They get changed, remember?

Moreover, they are having sex in those bedsheets. (Sloppily, after Food & Wine Around The World) and their children wipe their snotty noses on those bed sheets (don't tell me it doesn't happen - because it can...see how silly that argument sounds?)

I don't even care about myself. I'm not allergic to dogs, though I am very allergic to cats. I don't stay at the resorts. I just find the whole thing to be a little over the top and unnecessary but I suppose Disney will welcome the extra pocket money opportunity.

:banghead:

njDizFan

Technically this falls under the upcharge category. You are giving a select few guests the ability to pay extra for a benefit that will impact other guests satisfaction. Possibly only a small % will care or be effected, similar to setting aside square footage in the MK for a desert party.

Positives: Some guests can bring their pets and not leave them with friend/family or have to board.
They love their animal and like to take them places.
Disney makes more money.

Negatives: Possible allergy issues that require medical treatment or movement of guest rooms.
Possible damage of resort rooms that cause rate increases, or rooms need to come off inventory
Possible smell issues in resort rooms or in shared spaces(including feces/urine/hair)
People with phobias effected and need room/resort changes and impacting vacation
Possible angry resort customers impacted by barking throughout day or into night
Disney has litigation issues with biting/allergic reactions
Disney has litigation or customer service issues when resort resident forced to take dog out of room for not behaving
Upset customers who did not realize they were in a dog room/resort/wing and want things compted

I think it is short sighted and yes a money grab.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom