4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

rawisericho

No, we just don't see the need or legitimate reason to having dogs at resorts.

I mean, I don't see a reason why mobility scooters are allowed. If you're not disabled then you shouldn't be able to use one, that doesn't stop a bunch of overweight Wisconsinites from nearly running me over with them.

I think there are a ton of poorly behaved kids at Disney, being gross at meals, doing stupid things. I'd prefer not to see them, but that's not the way things are.

I'm not going to use this as we board our corgi for Disney trips anyway and I don't need to spend my vacation watching my dog. But I can understand someone else wanting to and I'm sure a lot of these pups will be better behaved than the kids.

Chernaboggles

It’s not even just the internet.. any change is met by an “OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!! THIS (insert worst possible case scenario here) IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!! IT’S NOT FAIR!!!!”

Then, start a hashtag campaign.. grab some signs.. call..write..email.. voice Your concerns for that worst-possible-case-scenario, loudly.

BUT- in this particular subject the “sky is falling” comments are even more amusing/confusing... To believe said comments means that we must totally ignore the fact that hotels accepting dogs is already happening all over the country.

There's a real culture of complaint going on right now - a ton of threads on these boards (and message boards in general) are some variation of "Let's talk about things that annoy us!" or "Let's talk about what [Peson/Company] is doing wrong lately!". Most humans enjoy complaining, and complaining together is a popular social activity. Everybody can relate to being annoyed or disappointed, and everybody worries about things going wrong on vacation, so those things make up the backbone of a lot of conversations here.

Out of this whole thread there's only a handful of people who might actually bring a dog to Disney, and another handful with specific personal reasons to be concerned about the change. Everybody else is just along for the ride.

cinderellafan6

I called about this new pilot program. I was hoping their plan was to allocate one or two buildings for pets. But nope, the CM began naming all the buildings at POR and there are many buildings scattered throughout that will allow pets. What's more I was told that pets will only be allowed in standard and garden view rooms. Therefore, does this force those of us without pets into a preferred room due to a lack of the less expensive rooms? I'm concerned about allergens too. I have a hypoallergenic dog due to my allergies.
(Regardless, I will not bring her to WDW.) When I addressed my allergies I was told mousekeeping will be doing a more thorough cleaning after the pet and family leave. Hmm... I hope it all works out.

Wow!! Thank you for the information. No matter what kind of cleaning mousekeeping does it would get rid of all the hair and dander. I know I sound like a lot of other people but those are 4 resorts I will not be staying at anymore.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
So it looks like everyone on WDWMagic hates dogs.
I don't think anyone here hates dogs. The new dog policy is out of the blue and appears to have been haphazardly created (scattered dog areas instead of one isolated area, unenforceable 7 hour limit to neglect their dog(s) by leaving them in an unfamiliar room). There are legitimate concerns by others regarding barking; irresponsible owners not cleaning up after the dog does its business; more abuse of the service animal policy; severe allergy; intense phobia; etc.

nickys

Premium Member
You might have a point if there were no other options.

There are far more Disney hotels with no pets than there are with pets. Therefore, you have no legitimate gripe. If pets bother you for any reason, real or imagined, don't stay at either of the four hotels testing the new pet policy.

There is no need for whining and crying and victimhood here.

I understand that animal allergies exist, as do allergies to many other things. People who are severely afflicted with that issue can stay in the non-dog wings of the hotels or, if that's too much of a risk, stay at another WDW hotel if they like. Two of these resorts - YC and PO - were likely chosen because they have similar (or, in the case of PO, superior) sister resorts that can house folks who don't want to risk any sort of proximity to dogs.

If you are allergic to dogs- to the point where being on the same large property as dogs is going to give you severe allergies, then you should not stay at a hotel that accepts non-service dogs (and hope there’s not a service dog at a no-pet policy resort.

I agree, ordinarily. And I would do just that, stay elsewhere.

Unfortunately many people book Disney vacations a year ahead. And anyone going in the next 2 or 3 months is going to find it hard to find availability at another resort.

This should have been introduced with a couple of months notice, to give people time to make alternative arrangements. Certainly not introduced 2 months before Christmas when there is very little room for manoeuvre.

disneygeek90

I mean, I don't see a reason why mobility scooters are allowed. If you're not disabled then you shouldn't be able to use one, that doesn't stop a bunch of overweight Wisconsinites from nearly running me over with them.

I think there are a ton of poorly behaved kids at Disney, being gross at meals, doing stupid things. I'd prefer not to see them, but that's not the way things are.

I'm not going to use this as we board our corgi for Disney trips anyway and I don't need to spend my vacation watching my dog. But I can understand someone else wanting to and I'm sure a lot of these pups will be better behaved than the kids.
True, but at the end of the day humans are humans and we treat them as such.

21stamps

I agree, ordinarily. And I would do just that, stay elsewhere.

Unfortunately many people book Disney vacations a year ahead. And anyone going in the next 2 or 3 months is going to find it hard to find availability at another resort.

This should have been introduced with a couple of months notice, to give people time to make alternative arrangements. Certainly not introduced 2 months before Christmas when there is very little room for manoeuvre.

Right, and I agree it would be difficult to switch, and trust me- I understand choosing specific resorts.. the resort is one of the biggest factors of my vacation planning, if not the single most important part.

Here’s where my confusion comes in, this policy appears to say that dogs will be in specific wings or areas.. so if someone requests a room away from that area.. then how much more “at risk” of allergies are they than any given day out in public in their hometown? Or walking down their own street?

The policy doesn’t sound so “haphazard” imo. I prefer weight limits on dogs, but understand that not all resorts impose such restrictions.

disneygeek90

Right, and I agree it would be difficult to switch, and trust me- I understand choosing specific resorts.. the resort is one of the biggest factors of my vacation planning, if not the single most important part.

Here’s where my confusion comes in, this policy appears to say that dogs will be in specific wings or areas.. so if someone requests a room away from that area.. then how much more “at risk” of allergies are they than any given day out in public in their hometown? Or walking down their own street?

The policy doesn’t sound so “haphazard” imo. I prefer weight limits on dogs, but understand that not all resorts impose such restrictions.
I think allowing dogs to stay in the room alone with no real plan in place other than "you can bring them to the doggy daycare for an extra charge" is haphazard enough.

Chernaboggles

No, we just don't see the need or legitimate reason to having dogs at resorts.

That's easy: There isn't one.

We're talking about Disney World, not a local hospital. The whole thing is purely optional, they no more need dogs than dessert parties or fireworks cruises. It's just a thing they're trying out to see if they can expand their brand into an emerging market that currently spends their resort dollars elsewhere.

Chernaboggles

Weight restrictions are usually just a sneaky way of saying "No pitbulls". In my experience, even hotels with weight limits will happily make an exception when I tell them I have a well-trained Labrador. While admittedly biased, I'm glad Disney didn't try to play that game, especially since the three most popular breeds in the country are all big dogs (Labs, German Shepherds & Golden Retrievers).

DisneyFreak

Weight restrictions are usually just a sneaky way of saying "No pitbulls". In my experience, even hotels with weight limits will happily make an exception when I tell them I have a well-trained Labrador. While admittedly biased, I'm glad Disney didn't try to play that game, especially since the three most popular breeds in the country are all big dogs (Labs, German Shepherds & Golden Retrievers).

I used to have two Japanese Akitas and there were some home insurance companies that would not write us a policy because this breed was on their "list" which also included Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rotts, German Shepards, Chows, Huskies, Boxers and Wolf hybrids.

Chernaboggles

I used to have two Japanese Akitas and there were some home insurance companies that would not write us a policy because this breed was on their "list" which also included Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rotts, German Shepards, Chows, Huskies, Boxers and Wolf hybrids.

We ran into that same list when we checked with our insurance before getting the puppy. I understand why companies make those rules, but I'm glad Disney didn't (yet) get on board that particular trend. Of course, maybe they knew better: seems like every other dog we meet at Orlando area dog parks is a Husky! It's interesting to see what dogs are popular in different places.

disneygeek90

We ran into that same list when we checked with our insurance before getting the puppy. I understand why companies make those rules, but I'm glad Disney didn't (yet) get on board that particular trend. Of course, maybe they knew better: seems like every other dog we meet at Orlando area dog parks is a Husky! It's interesting to see what dogs are popular in different places.
Because when you think Orlando and Florida and hot, obviously Husky is what goes with it. o_O

nickys

Premium Member

The "policy" appears to be being re-written hourly. They released the maps with doggie Doo areas, implying restricted areas, but initially didn't impose any restrictions of room types. Later they said YC will allow dogs in any garden, water, pool view rooms excluding club level, so anywhere in the resort, and at POR again any non- preferred rooms. After the number of requests to be away from dog areas, they decided to allocate certain blocks at POR as dog-friendly, but no guarantees are given.

Crucially you don't have to notify Disney in advance that you intend to bring a dog, so if someone turns up with a dog, they might have to be allocated another room, according to what room type they booked.

They are trying to move people where possible, those booked at YC are so far being offered several other deluxe options. But those at POR and AoA are finding there's lmuch less alternative availability.

I expect they will be updating the policy to try and make sure dogs are pre-booked, so they can allocate different rooms / blocks as they need to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom