4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

disneygeek90

I just returned home last night after a long weekend trip with my dog. We drove from Orlando to Virginia and back. She is a great traveler and I take her everywhere I can. I realize I am not your typical Disney guest but I probably would be the typical Disney guest who brings her dog and I will be bringing her. We are local to WDW - maybe 15 minutes away. We go for long weekend 'staycations' and we aren't park commandos any more. When we go to the resorts, we go to enjoy the atmosphere and the amenities of the resort. She doesn't bark when we are traveling any more than she barks at home and she's a heck of a lot quieter than the kids in our neighborhood or the kids I've encountered at the resorts. It is actually cheaper for me to bring her to Disney at $50-75/night than it is to hire our dog walker/pet sitter who charges $18-20/visit (times 4 visits in a day since she is smaller and needs more frequent walks.) She is quite used to the fireworks since we hear them every night at home. I venture to say she's better behaved than a lot of the kids I encounter in the parks with parents who aren't as attentive as they should be. When I take Lily places, I'm very alert to her needs and the people around her. She is not a service dog and I would never claim that she is.

I realize there are a lot of people upset about this but I really don't think this will impact your vacation as much as you all worry about. I'm probably NOT the norm when it comes to traveling with my dog and there's not suddenly going to be packs of dogs wandering around the resorts. I think it *will* be a nice convenience for people like me who like to travel with their dog and can easily do it.

I'm actually looking forward to being able to take her and, as a DVC member, I really hope that eventually they roll this out to the DVC resorts like Hilton Head and Vero Beach. We take a week vacation to Vero and one of the hardest parts is leaving my pup home for a week every year.
I'm confused why living 15 minutes away you would be willing to spend hundreds of dollars to sleep in a room surrounded by hundreds of other people, but that's a different conversation entirely. Also living 15 minutes away I find it the best that I am able to save so much money while also sleeping in my own bed at night.

I get people are attached to their dogs but I don't understand the need to bring it with you everywhere they go.

Admittedly, I think I'm still a little cold and heartless about all dogs since mine of 15 years passed. Don't think I could go through it again and, frankly, so much work. If my option is bring it everywhere I go or pay someone $20 a visit, I think I'd rather choose none.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I realize there are a lot of people upset about this but I really don't think this will impact your vacation as much as you all worry about.

The only impact it's going to have (for now) is that many of us just took 4 hotels off our potential stay lists. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

simba2

I'm confused why living 15 minutes away you would be willing to spend hundreds of dollars to sleep in a room surrounded by hundreds of other people, but that's a different conversation entirely. Also living 15 minutes away I find it the best that I am able to save so much money while also sleeping in my own bed at night.

I get people are attached to their dogs but I don't understand the need to bring it with you everywhere they go.

Admittedly, I think I'm still a little cold and heartless about all dogs since mine of 15 years passed. Don't think I could go through it again and, frankly, so much work. If my option is bring it everywhere I go or pay someone $20 a visit, I think I'd rather choose none.

We go, as I said, to enjoy the resorts and the amenities. The resorts are beautiful and we like to go. We don't need to go for a week long trip, just a long weekend is a nice little get away. If I were interested in saving money, we'd not be going anywhere. There are decent FL resident and AP discounts we can also take advantage of. Again, as I said, I'm probably not the "typical" Disney guest but I am more likely to fit the demographic of the Disney guest who would bring her dog. Just trying to give another perspective on why people would want to bring their dog and that they won't necessarily be alone in the room for hours and hours.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
So will there be size limits on allowed dogs. Can I bring my Bull Mastif, how about my Great Dane, Saint Bernard.
If you bring your Bull Mastiff, you must then chose between Marmaduke or George. There is a limit of two dogs per room.

No weight or size restrictions.

Bender123

I just returned home last night after a long weekend trip with my dog. We drove from Orlando to Virginia and back. She is a great traveler and I take her everywhere I can. I realize I am not your typical Disney guest but I probably would be the typical Disney guest who brings her dog and I will be bringing her. We are local to WDW - maybe 15 minutes away. We go for long weekend 'staycations' and we aren't park commandos any more. When we go to the resorts, we go to enjoy the atmosphere and the amenities of the resort. She doesn't bark when we are traveling any more than she barks at home and she's a heck of a lot quieter than the kids in our neighborhood or the kids I've encountered at the resorts. It is actually cheaper for me to bring her to Disney at $50-75/night than it is to hire our dog walker/pet sitter who charges $18-20/visit (times 4 visits in a day since she is smaller and needs more frequent walks.) She is quite used to the fireworks since we hear them every night at home. I venture to say she's better behaved than a lot of the kids I encounter in the parks with parents who aren't as attentive as they should be. When I take Lily places, I'm very alert to her needs and the people around her. She is not a service dog and I would never claim that she is.

I realize there are a lot of people upset about this but I really don't think this will impact your vacation as much as you all worry about. I'm probably NOT the norm when it comes to traveling with my dog and there's not suddenly going to be packs of dogs wandering around the resorts. I think it *will* be a nice convenience for people like me who like to travel with their dog and can easily do it.

I'm actually looking forward to being able to take her and, as a DVC member, I really hope that eventually they roll this out to the DVC resorts like Hilton Head and Vero Beach. We take a week vacation to Vero and one of the hardest parts is leaving my pup home for a week every year.

lily_collage.jpg

Tell that to the kids trying to take a nap with a barking dog in the room below them, the people who need an inhaler just being around animals like dogs or the dog that gets out in a strange busy place and ends up dead.

We always get the picture of the dogs as if we are suddenly supposed to be ok with it, People like you directly impact the health of other people and dismiss it as if we mean nothing. Sorry to be harsh, but this attitude has already lead to ER visits for asthma in my house and dozens of uses of emergency inhalers.

Casper Gutman

So will there be size limits on allowed dogs. Can I bring my Bull Mastif, how about my Great Dane, Saint Bernard.
I mean, all of those are generally sweet, lovable and, apart from the Dane, sedentary breeds. I'd be delighted to meet any of them wandering about a hotel. If you want to be REALLY controversial, ask about bringing your Pit Bull or Rottweiler.

The_Jobu

You know what Disney should have done though to make everyone happy, is a make a new hotel that was pet friendly based off 101 Dalmatians and that way everyone can be happy except for people who like 101 Dalmatians but don't want to see animals in their hotel. (Also note this was pure sarcasm)

I would visit that hotel, and I don't even have a dog anymore. I'd just pet other people's as they walk around. :D

Lets Respect

Tell that to the kids trying to take a nap with a barking dog in the room below them, the people who need an inhaler just being around animals like dogs or the dog that gets out in a strange busy place and ends up dead.

We always get the picture of the dogs as if we are suddenly supposed to be ok with it, People like you directly impact the health of other people and dismiss it as if we mean nothing. Sorry to be harsh, but this attitude has already lead to ER visits for asthma in my house and dozens of uses of emergency inhalers.

People like you? Ouch. I think you mean to just blame Disney, they're the ones doing this. If people partake of this new upcharge, so be it.

Incomudro

It's the "fur babies," and "pet parents" thing.
Did you see the pictures of the dog above in the baby stroller? :hungover:

Bender123

People like you? Ouch. I think you mean to just blame Disney, they're the ones doing this. If people partake of this new upcharge, so be it.

The obsession with treating a pet as if they were a child. Disney is just a business making money, but the attitude that everybody else should love somebody's pet is just nonsense and people who own pets and take them to public places tend to also be fairly unaware of what damage they are doing to others.

Sorry to be mean, but try having something like a peanut allergy and then have a somebody slather peanut butter on the floor and tell you "not to worry...peanut butter makes them happy" while you are in a corner literally fighting to breath. That's what being stuck on a plane, in a hotel room or other area is like to people with severe pet allergies.

debg32

BAD BAD BAD!! If I am spending a lot of money to stay on property, I do not want to hear barking, howling dogs and meowing cats. It's bad enough now with the inconsideration of other guests, especially late night running in the hallways, being loud and parents not watching or reprimanding their children. If anyone thinks guests are going to follow the rules, they are mistaken. If smokers can't follow the rules around the resorts and parks, you can be sure the same will happen with pets. Furniture, carpeting etc. won't last and Disney will then be forced to increase prices to replace all the damaged items. I also don't want to step in pet waste because someone is too lazy to take their pet to the designated areas. I can only imagine the smell of cat urine wafting through the hallways. Many people suffer from allergies also. We have a family member who has an allergy to dogs and cats. No matter how hard you try to clean, you never pick up all of the pet hair. Pets should be kept at their pet center. If you can't take a vacation without your pet, stay home!

Amos1784

I generally do feel sorry for the people with allergies and if this effects your hotel choice, however this does seem that it will be building specific and it is only 4 of the resorts (and I really see no problem with the campgrounds/cabins at all). If one of those happens to be your favorite resort I get it it's disappointing. However I still think you could enjoy the resort, I doubt dogs will be allowed in food areas/lounges ect. My biggest concern is I wish that if they were allowing this you would have to "check in" your pet at the best friends pet care for the day, if you will be gone for extensive periods of time. Yes, I know, people leave their dogs home for hours a day at home while at work, but this is not home, its a new environment for the animal, new surroundings and at Disney people are typically gone for extended period of time. This in turn causes stress for the animal leading to the problems that have been mentioned, barking, toileting ect. The no restrictions is also surprising as most apartment buildings even hold restrictions on the pet breeds. In general I am personally against this however I can see both sides as for some their dogs literally are their family/children and could cause a sense of calm to come home to their pet, walk them at night ect.

simba2

Let me fix this for you: "Tell that to the people trying to take a nap with a screaming child or loud adults in the room below them, the people who need an inhaler just being around people who smoke/reek of perfume or don't practice good hygiene or the child that gets out in a busy place and ends up dead."

I think what has me the most amazed about "people like you", is that you haven't even been to Disney while this new benefit is being tested. You have not seen what accommodations they will provide for you. There are at least 15 other Disney hotels, in all price points, that you can stay at that will be dog free (other than service animals, which are a lot more prevalent than you realize). How do you know a service dog hasn't already stayed in the room you are about to check into? Service animals are not magically hair/dander free.
I am not dismissing your health concerns but I also think you are not being realistic about the potential impact and how limited it is likely to be.

John park hopper

I can see both sides of the argument. All the more reason WDW has not thought this through, I said it before build a resort that caters to dog owners and their dogs --rooms that can be easily cleaned by trained cleaning staff, onsite kennels with trained staff that cater to dogs --grooming services, vet service, play areas etc. This isn't rocket science.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom