4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I agree with you, it seems like another money grab ($50) tacked on to the room charge. This idea could work if an ounce of thought went into it. Current rooms IMO are not designed to house dogs for 7 hours or more a day. As I posted earlier design a resort specificlly for dog owners. It is not only Allergy/Smell/Phopia issues it is how do you control fleas. I can vouch my Golden Retriever is flea free but can the previous guest say the same. WIll CM inspect dogs? Will my dog or I be subjected to fleas from the previous guest? How does Mousekeeping address that issue; will they routinely spray the rooms with insecticide between guests? IMO good idea but very very poor execution
Oh if you only knew what was done in some of the rooms you were a guest in. Fleas are the least of your worries.
It's been mentioned before but throw up, poo, urine, sex and all facts of life that you knowingly knew is a possibility from the prior tenets, why does the thought of a dog being in there before bother you? Fleas?

John park hopper

Oh if you only knew what was done in some of the rooms you were a guest in. Fleas are the least of your worries.
It's been mentioned before but throw up, poo, urine, sex and all facts of life that you knowingly knew is a possibility from the prior tenets, why does the thought of a dog being in there before bother you? Fleas?
I am well aware of what goes on in hotel rooms. I brought up the issue of fleas as no one else has. My dog is allergic to fleas so it would be a concern to me and if you have ever experienced a flea bites( right up there with bed bugs) I can put up with the other things that might have gone on in a hotel room not fleas

Incomudro

Some people don't like dogs and want to stay away from them. Others have dogs that make them feel better and want to bring them with. Both people will probably do what it takes to make that happen if it's important to them. Is that really a crazy thought?
Yes, it is a crazy thought.

Incomudro

So...
Adding dogs to the above doesn't make any of that go away.
It just adds more.

You know what Disney should have done though to make everyone happy, is a make a new hotel that was pet friendly based off 101 Dalmatians and that way everyone can be happy except for people who like 101 Dalmatians but don't want to see animals in their hotel. (Also note this was pure sarcasm)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Huh???
The dogs are going to be left alone in the rooms while guests hit the parks.
Yes, most dogs are left alone when people go to work, its not anything different for them. Am I missing something?

Its one thing if you don't like dogs, thats fine. I don't get that but thats fine.

Its another to be naive and think that dogs will make the rooms trashed and smelly because humans do that on a consistent basis at all hotels.

Mander

In the Parks
No
Huh???
The dogs are going to be left alone in the rooms while guests hit the parks.

That doesn't mean they will go inside. Some dogs may have a problem with that but most know not to go inside and make it through 8+ hour days while people work. It's not ideal and I think it would be smart of Disney to add some sort of dog walking option but it is quite possible. My dogs both make it through 8 hour work days with no accidents so this isn't something I'd be worried about.

Now I'm still not personally going to bring my dogs to Disney just because I can. I do think Disney making some of their rooms dog friendly is reasonable (though they should make every effort to accommodate those who want to move due to allergies/fears/etc at no cost to them). I still don't think many people are actually going to use the feature.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It's just the science. There are plenty of dog owners among scientists, and no matter how hard they try, it comes down to the disruption of a routine. Reading articles written on it are funny, because they are usually by people who really love dogs who admit they are desperate to prove the "they miss us". Doing MRI's on dogs they can see a slight difference between the brain waves of, say, a few minutes and an hour or two, but there isn't any evidence that it's emotion other than their brains being excited because seeing you means they can eat or poop. They can't tell the difference between two hours and four hours, much less days.

When it comes to disruption of the routine, I can't think of anything more disruptive than going to WDW - even if you somehow maintain their normal schedules, when you aren't with them - everything is unfamiliar, everything smells funny to them, etc. That's why it's not about the dogs, but the owners, because no matter how you look at it - it's people who want their dogs with them, not for the welfare of the animal.

LOL, but of course. :)

And it's not to say dogs are stupid - they have incredible instincts and can be trained to do all sorts of amazing things. But you can see the limitation side when you compare them to cats in terms of memory - a cat has a working short-term memory of about 16 hours. That's why you can **** off your cat and they will be "mad" at you all day. A dog seems very forgiving because he can't remember being "mad" at you in the first place.
That must make it hard to take care of puppies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You know what Disney should have done though to make everyone happy, is a make a new hotel that was pet friendly based off 101 Dalmatians and that way everyone can be happy except for people who like 101 Dalmatians but don't want to see animals in their hotel. (Also note this was pure sarcasm)

But seriously, WDW's problem is that they seemed to commit themselves to giving dogs ground-floor accommodations. But that spreads them out and puts non-doggie guests in the same building where barking and close encounters are issues. A whole lot of backlash against this could have been avoided if they had doggie-only buildings/wings wherein non-doggie guests would have no contact with a dog-neighbor or being in a room that once housed a dog.

There was a huge lack of forethought that went into this as our insiders confirm that they pulled the trigger on this much sooner than what was expected to be later.

But seriously, WDW's problem is that they seemed to commit themselves to giving dogs ground-floor accommodations. But that spreads them out and puts non-doggie guests in the same building where barking and close encounters are issues. A whole lot of backlash against this could have been avoided if they had doggie-only buildings/wings wherein non-doggie guests would have no contact with a dog-neighbor or being in a room that once housed a dog.

There was a huge lack of forethought that went into this as our insiders confirm that they pulled the trigger on this much sooner than what was expected to be later.
So it’s been confirmed they are just randomly having dogs in rooms throughout the hotels?? If so that is really poor planning on Disney behalf

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So they are just randomly having dogs in rooms throughout the hotels?? If so that is really poor planning on Disney behalf

No, there are some areas designated for dogs and some not. But, in the areas with dogs, they'll be in the ground floor rooms while non-doggie guests will be housed above them. (Presumably, based on promotional material.)

So, if you want to avoid the dogs or a room which had a dog in it, you have to specifically request a room away from the designated dog area. They exist, but so do rooms right above a dog, or being booked into a room which once housed a dog even if you're not a doggie-guest.

Incomudro

Yes, most dogs are left alone when people go to work, its not anything different for them. Am I missing something?

Its one thing if you don't like dogs, thats fine. I don't get that but thats fine.

Its another to be naive and think that dogs will make the rooms trashed and smelly because humans do that on a consistent basis at all hotels.

Yes you are missing something.
Yes it is different.
The dogs will not be in their home, they will be in a hotel room.
What one's dogs do to ones own home is ones own problem.
Of course the barking, howling, or crying can be the whole neighborhoods problem.

Similar behavior in a hotel becomes paying vacationer's problems.

Individuals claiming their dogs are wonderful over a certain period of time is meaningless.
Other peoples dogs aren't.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Yes you are missing something.
Yes it is different.
The dogs will not be in their home, they will be in a hotel room.
What one's dogs do to ones own home is ones own problem.
Of course the barking, howling, or crying can be the whole neighborhoods problem.

Similar behavior in a hotel becomes paying vacationer's problems.

Individuals claiming their dogs are wonderful over a certain period of time is meaningless.
Other peoples dogs aren't.
I think you are over thinking this one.

Tyaloo

Our old dog, when in a brand new environment, would run in and whiz on the carpet, just on principle lol. Perhaps marking his territory - and he wasn't the kind of dog who had many accidents - he'd just get all hyped up in new surroundings, lol.

But I'll add - when we checked into our room in the 50s section of Pop Century in 2015, we had to wait for Disney to steam clean the rug due a child pooping on it.

simba2

I just returned home last night after a long weekend trip with my dog. We drove from Orlando to Virginia and back. She is a great traveler and I take her everywhere I can. I realize I am not your typical Disney guest but I probably would be the typical Disney guest who brings her dog and I will be bringing her. We are local to WDW - maybe 15 minutes away. We go for long weekend 'staycations' and we aren't park commandos any more. When we go to the resorts, we go to enjoy the atmosphere and the amenities of the resort. She doesn't bark when we are traveling any more than she barks at home and she's a heck of a lot quieter than the kids in our neighborhood or the kids I've encountered at the resorts. It is actually cheaper for me to bring her to Disney at $50-75/night than it is to hire our dog walker/pet sitter who charges $18-20/visit (times 4 visits in a day since she is smaller and needs more frequent walks.) She is quite used to the fireworks since we hear them every night at home. I venture to say she's better behaved than a lot of the kids I encounter in the parks with parents who aren't as attentive as they should be. When I take Lily places, I'm very alert to her needs and the people around her. She is not a service dog and I would never claim that she is.

I realize there are a lot of people upset about this but I really don't think this will impact your vacation as much as you all worry about. I'm probably NOT the norm when it comes to traveling with my dog and there's not suddenly going to be packs of dogs wandering around the resorts. I think it *will* be a nice convenience for people like me who like to travel with their dog and can easily do it.

I'm actually looking forward to being able to take her and, as a DVC member, I really hope that eventually they roll this out to the DVC resorts like Hilton Head and Vero Beach. We take a week vacation to Vero and one of the hardest parts is leaving my pup home for a week every year.

lily_collage.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom