4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

R W B

Only read the first few pages of this thread but am realizing I am in the minority that thinks this is a great idea!

My wife and I already had a trip booked for February and also had our dog booked at Best Friends. We have since added another dog to our family so Best Friends was going to end up costing us about $100/nt. Well, we decided paying $50/nt to Disney was a better option for our 2 dogs that will be joining us now. Sorry if it makes you uncomfortable but it works best for us.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Only read the first few pages of this thread but am realizing I am in the minority that thinks this is a great idea!

My wife and I already had a trip booked for February and also had our dog booked at Best Friends. We have sense added another dog to our family so Best Friends was going to end up costing us about $100/nt. Well. We decided paying $50/my to Disney was a better option for our 2 dogs that will be joining us now. Sorry if it makes you uncomfortable but it works best for us.
Better question, how do the dogs feel about being locked in a hotel room all day?

freesvoice

It's a major change, I get it. I've questioned a few times in this thread why WDW is taking this on. But it's becoming industry standard so it was only a matter of time until they tried it. Now to see how it goes.

21stamps

Some people don't like dogs and want to stay away from them. Others have dogs that make them feel better and want to bring them with. Is that really a crazy thought?

I think that a lot of people aren’t taking into account how the “dog -is -my -child-people” already take their dogs so many places.
If a dog hangs out at Starbucks, goes shopping with his/her owner, sits at an outdoor seating section of a restaurant on a regular basis, goes to a dog park or regular park or beach etc etc.. these dogs are used to new places, strangers, sounds, smells, etc.

Yet people here are acting like these dogs are all of the sudden going to freak out and turn into monsters when they arrive at a Disney hotel.

freesvoice

Just delete your post.
No. I'm sorry if it was rude but I've seen some pretty crazy behavior in here over domesticated pets. I've never known anyone with a dog phobia personally and I'm very curious.

And I'm also seeing (in this thread) that now everyone is going to lie and say their dogs are service pets. I was trying to make the point that people, no matter what their personal cause, can say whatever they want to get things that benefit them. Is that really not the case?

@JenniferS I apologize if my question was personal but it was sincere. Perhaps better wording could have been used.

Last edited:

freesvoice

Seriously?
goodness people, is it's so hard to comprehend that someone could lie about a therapy dogs or service dog, since the point has been made over and over that licensing isn't needed... but also someone could lie about a phobia to switch hotels because they don't approve of this?

I don't think JenniferS is lying for the record.

freesvoice

Never assume that a vocal opposition equals a majority. Negative responses seem to be posted more than positive ones...
For sure some extremes going on. Falling in to the let's just see how it goes category myself. As well as the pet owner who would never take their dog to WDW.

AEfx

And I'm also seeing that now everyone is going to lie and say their dogs are service pets. I was trying to make the point that people, no matter what their personal cause, can say whatever they want to get things that benefit them. Is that really not the case?

It's really simple.

Yes, people could already lie and do this.

However, you saw that list of articles. There are many more. By this weekend, there will be a trove of them.

What this has done is made a lot more people think about bringing dogs to WDW. And when they realize it's going to cost them at least $350 a week extra, it's a lot easier slope to slide down since "well, dogs are allowed anyway, we're not doing anything wrong by having little poochie there, it's just a big evil corporation we won't be giving money to - and we will spend it elsewhere, so they are still getting it!"

It's a lot easier to internally justify a little lie than a big one. And saving $350 is going to be a big incentive.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
@JenniferS I apologize if my question was personal but it was sincere. Perhaps better wording could have been used.
No worries, I’m not that easily offended. And when I am, I just use the handy dandy “ignore” button.

I’ve been here a long time and have many, many posts. My fear of dogs is well documented, as is my penchant for spending lavishly at WDW. Nobody who has ever read any of my trip reports would think I would try to scam Disney over $400.

As to my phobia, one or two of my previous posts describes how I deal with it on a day to day basis. It’s gotten worse as I’ve gotten older, but generally, I just do not go where I would expect dogs to be. I own a dog incidentally, so I’m not a dog hater by any means. I own two cats too. Generally, the three of them are far less annoying than my adult sons. :hilarious:

0985F578-3FD8-4471-A8BF-EBACBB17F66E.jpeg

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
goodness people, is it's so hard to comprehend that someone could lie about a therapy dogs or service dog, since the point has been made over and over that licensing isn't needed... but also someone could lie about a phobia to switch hotels because they don't approve of this?

I don't think JenniferS is lying for the record.
Why would anyone need to lie about a phobia to switch hotels? They could just book a room at another resort.

AEfx

Never assume that a vocal opposition equals a majority. Negative responses seem to be posted more than positive ones...

On a lot of issues, maybe. But a lot of people don't have phobias - they just don't like dogs. While certainly some people are in the middle, generally, either you like them - and you own one - or you don't. People don't want to be sitting at a pool, or eating something, and watch dogs crap - even if you pick it up. You can bet Disney is going to have hordes of "little" complaints like that. Especially since while many dog owners are responsible, many are not.

freesvoice

No worries, I’m not that easily offended. And when I am, I just use the handy dandy “ignore” button.

I’ve been here a long time and have many, many posts. My fear of dogs is well documented, as is my penchant for spending lavishly at WDW. Nobody who has ever read any of my trip reports would think I would try to scam Disney over $400.

As to my phobia, one or two of my previous posts describes how I deal with it on a day to day basis. It’s gotten worse as I’ve gotten older, but generally, I just do not go where I would expect dogs to be. I own a dog incidentally, so I’m not a dog hater by any means. I own two cats too. Generally, the three of them are far less annoying than my adult sons. :hilarious:

View attachment 238546
I wasn't able to back read the whole thread so I for sure missed those posts. Is it other dogs that you don't know or have control over that raise the anxiety? I would never expected you would be able to own a dog and am glad you're not a dog hater :) As a dog lover I obviously think they can bring so much joy to their owners but you cannot force anyone else to love YOUR dog. I would never push my slobbering bulldog on anyone else especially someone with trepidation. And I guess by people bringing their dogs that's how's some people are feeling, it's being forced upon them. I just have faith WDW will handle it correctly but that remains to be seen.

freesvoice

Why would anyone need to lie about a phobia to switch hotels? They could just book a room at another resort.
$$ to change. And more to the point of why would anyone have any issue with this rule change when they can just avoid those hotels to begin with? But people do and that's fine.

freesvoice

It's really simple.

Yes, people could already lie and do this.

However, you saw that list of articles. There are many more. By this weekend, there will be a trove of them.

What this has done is made a lot more people think about bringing dogs to WDW. And when they realize it's going to cost them at least $350 a week extra, it's a lot easier slope to slide down since "well, dogs are allowed anyway, we're not doing anything wrong by having little poochie there, it's just a big evil corporation we won't be giving money to - and we will spend it elsewhere, so they are still getting it!"

It's a lot easier to internally justify a little lie than a big one. And saving $350 is going to be a big incentive.
I am not condoning anyone that would lie about their pet especially considering some people absolutely need a service animal and don't have a choice. As always a few bad apples can ruin it for everyone.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On a lot of issues, maybe. But a lot of people don't have phobias - they just don't like dogs. While certainly some people are in the middle, generally, either you like them - and you own one - or you don't. People don't want to be sitting at a pool, or eating something, and watch dogs crap - even if you pick it up. You can bet Disney is going to have hordes of "little" complaints like that. Especially since while many dog owners are responsible, many are not.
I would just add that there is a 3rd group which are people like me who like dogs and maybe even own one but think this particular plan is a bad idea.

For me personally I would have no issue seeing dogs walking around the resort but I don’t want a room where the last occupants had a dog there and I don’t want one that barks in the room next to me.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I wasn't able to back read the whole thread so I for sure missed those posts. Is it other dogs that you don't know or have control over that raise the anxiety? I would never expected you would be able to own a dog and am glad you're not a dog hater :) As a dog lover I obviously think they can bring so much joy to their owners but you cannot force anyone else to love YOUR dog. I would never push my slobbering bulldog on anyone else especially someone with trepidation.
I’m afraid of bigger dogs. I was bitten by a Shepherd as a kid, and knocked down and pinned by a Rottie in my 30’s. I’m only okay around little dogs - even knowing full well that they are more likely to bite.

That being said, my good friend Dianne has two chihuahuas; one of which terrifies me, as it has tried to bite me numerous times.

AEfx

I’m afraid of bigger dogs. I was bitten by a Shepherd as a kid, and knocked down and pinned by a Rottie in my 30’s. I’m only okay around little dogs - even knowing full well that they are more likely to bite.

That being said, my good friend Dianne has two chihuahuas; one of which terrifies me, as it has tried to bite me numerous times.

Well, on the up side the lesson seems to be - you taste good. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom