4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

njDizFan

And any responsible dog owner will have the dog’s rectum squeezed while at the groomers. So- no smell.
The rest-Not all dogs have an odor because not all dogs are the same. There are many breeds who are known to be this way. That’s why people choose them.

Let me know how your stay goes. I’m so curious to read reviews after people are surrounded by dirty, smelly, mean dogs.
Until then, this “inconvenience for other guests” is all just wild fantasies.
You seem like a rational person, yet you are coming to conclusions that seem to be completely without basis and showing quite a bit of bias. You agree with this precedent..fine a lot of people are happy with the decision. But really, dismissing phobias, stating that all dogs were recently at the groomers(even though they sweat constantly and release their gland oils whenever they are excited) and equalizing short stay hotels, where you are possibly not allowed to be apart from the dog, to most of the day being at a theme park for a week. Not all dogs are the same not all owners are the same.

AEfx

Being separated for a week or two is worse than being separated for a few hours.

Not for a dog. They have a five minute short-term memory. They can't remember if they saw you more than five minutes ago or not. You are implanted in their long-term memory, but that "excitement to see you" after being away all day is because your presence indicates that they are about to be fed/go outside/etc. They don't "miss you" any more after two weeks than they do after six minutes.

Last edited:

bhg469

Not for a dog. They have a five minute short-term memory. They can't remember if they saw you more than five minutes ago or not. You are implanted in their long-term memory, but that "excitement to see you" after being away all day is because your presence indicates that they are about to be fed/go outside/etc. They don't "miss you" any more after two weeks than they do after six minutes.
While I dont agree with the simplification of their memory I agree with your statement. I love my dog, when I leave him I hate it, he hates it and I get reports that he enters doggie depression while I am away. I still don't believe that this new policy will not be screwed up by many people..

21stamps

You seem like a rational person, yet you are coming to conclusions that seem to be completely without basis and showing quite a bit of bias. You agree with this precedent..fine a lot of people are happy with the decision. But really, dismissing phobias, stating that all dogs were recently at the groomers(even though they sweat constantly and release their gland oils whenever they are excited) and equalizing short stay hotels, where you are possibly not allowed to be apart from the dog, to most of the day being at a theme park for a week. Not all dogs are the same not all owners are the same.

I don’t have experience with dogs at Disney World, and I don’t have a desire to bring my dog to Disney. I do have 11 years experience of traveling with a dog, multiple times per year during the first 5.. so obviously pet friendly hotels. I’ve yet to experience anything terrible. In my experience the people who travel with dogs are those who truly look at their dogs as family.. people like that take care of their dogs..groomer, vet, and comfort wise.

Are people with big-aggressive-hunting-rarely groomed-spend a ton of time outdoors- dogs suddenly going to bring their dogs (who have never left home or vacationed anywhere besides a campground) to Disney World? Maybe.

I doubt it.. but I’m sure we’ll start hearing horror stories soon if it’s common.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All the dogs I’ve ever owned were brilliant but I hear what you are saying about the other dogs;)

21stamps

While I dont agree with the simplification of their memory I agree with your statement. I love my dog, when I leave him I hate it, he hates it and I get reports that he enters doggie depression while I am away. I still don't believe that this new policy will not be screwed up by many people..

My dog doesn’t react the same when I get out of the shower or bath or up from doing laundry vs when I come home from work.lol.

These are a few of the most common dogs I’m suspecting will be at 3 of the hotels listed, with a few medium and larger ones mixed in. Many of them probably wearing Disney clothes or bling. ;)
949DDBAD-C752-4112-9DE7-DE427CD0B3DA.png

Incomudro

Which is exactly the kind of rationalization I would expect from some dog owners, while simultaneously dismissing concerns.
There's a reason dogs were not allowed in hotels years ago.
But humans have become more selfish and more childish over the decades.

Casper Gutman

...like telling them to stay at another resort if they don’t like the policy:confused:
They can stay at any resort they like! I don't care a bit. If they want to stay at a dog-friendly hotel even though they don't like dogs, that's jim dandy with me.

The only people trying to dictate other's behaviors are the ones who want to ban dogs. I don't see any of the pro-dog contingent trying to ban the anti-dog folks.

disneygeek90

IMO this is absolutely unnecessary. Board your dog in a kennel or leave at home and have someone keep an eye on them. There’s no rational reason to be trudging your dog with you on your vacation. This comes from the animal loving vegetarian. Leave your dogs at home where they will be taken care of, not left all day in your unattended hotel room.

I'm glad I never have a reason to stay on site.

AEfx

It's just the science. There are plenty of dog owners among scientists, and no matter how hard they try, it comes down to the disruption of a routine. Reading articles written on it are funny, because they are usually by people who really love dogs who admit they are desperate to prove the "they miss us". Doing MRI's on dogs they can see a slight difference between the brain waves of, say, a few minutes and an hour or two, but there isn't any evidence that it's emotion other than their brains being excited because seeing you means they can eat or poop. They can't tell the difference between two hours and four hours, much less days.

When it comes to disruption of the routine, I can't think of anything more disruptive than going to WDW - even if you somehow maintain their normal schedules, when you aren't with them - everything is unfamiliar, everything smells funny to them, etc. That's why it's not about the dogs, but the owners, because no matter how you look at it - it's people who want their dogs with them, not for the welfare of the animal.

All the dogs I’ve ever owned were brilliant but I hear what you are saying about the other dogs;)

LOL, but of course. :)

And it's not to say dogs are stupid - they have incredible instincts and can be trained to do all sorts of amazing things. But you can see the limitation side when you compare them to cats in terms of memory - a cat has a working short-term memory of about 16 hours. That's why you can off your cat and they will be "mad" at you all day. A dog seems very forgiving because he can't remember being "mad" at you in the first place.

disneygeek90

When it comes to disruption of the routine, I can't think of anything more disruptive than going to WDW - even if you somehow maintain their normal schedules, when you aren't with them - everything is unfamiliar, everything smells funny to them, etc. That's why it's not about the dogs, but the owners, because no matter how you look at it - it's people who want their dogs with them, not for the welfare of the animal.
I agree. Wouldn't the whole, traveling however hundred miles, checking into the hotel, and dropping them off in a single, dark room for the day be more concerning for the dog than being dropped off at the local vet/Kennel that they've most likely been to multiple times? while they don't love when you're gone, they are familiar with where they are and know you will be back.

AEfx

I agree. Wouldn't the whole, traveling however hundred miles, checking into the hotel, and dropping them off in a single, dark room for the day be more concerning for the dog than being dropped off at the local vet/Kennel that they've most likely been to multiple times? while they don't love when you're gone, they are familiar with where they are and know you will be back.

Yup, that's exactly the point - which is why kennels can be great (and some dogs really enjoy the socialization, etc., especially if they are familiar with the place) - it depends on your dog. For other dogs, they could be going back to the pound for all they know. For a lot of dogs, the best thing is to hire someone to come and check on them a few times a day, take them out, etc. - because while you aren't there, everything they know stays the same. And, given how scent sensitive they are, your house still smells like "you" to them, so it's like you are still there in just about any way that matters, so long as their needs are being met by someone taking care of them.

peter11435

What was the reason?
The bedspreads were never swapped out between tenants. The original bed spreads were removed because a) it was an outdated look b) white triple sheeting became industry standard c) more hygienic/looks and is cleaner and d) cost savings

The runners that replaced them have disappeared from some locations due to theft and cost savings

SuzGM84

You guys have really low opinions of dogs and dog owners.lol.

All of that stuff could happen any day of the week. If a dog survives on a daily basis without escaping a home., then said dog will probably be ok at WDW.

That is not always the case. Put your dog in an unfamiliar environment and they could get anxious and act in a way that is NOT in their normal course. Case in point - an acquaintance of mine brought her two golden retrievers to a hotel for a weekend. Housekeeper entered the room and one of the dogs bolted and was missing for three days. Would she have ever thought her dog would run? Of course not. But being somewhere that was NOT home spooked her and she ran. A hotel is not home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom