4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Do you actually think they are going to watch or monitor this? o_O
Probably violates some privacy rights of sort.
Well, they're going to have all the rooms with $50 pet fees in the computer, so they know which rooms to watch, and it doesn't take much technology to flag a door that hasn't been opened in 7 hours...

As for privacy, the mousekeepers don't seem to have any issues opening doors, so I don't think that's going to be a major consideration.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Well, they're going to have all the rooms with $50 pet fees in the computer, and it doesn't take much technology to flag a door that hasn't been opened in 7 hours...

They can pull that. But I doubt they would consistently unless there was some type of situation they were made aware of...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, they're going to have all the rooms with $50 pet fees in the computer, so they know which rooms to watch, and it doesn't take much technology to flag a door that hasn't been opened in 7 hours...

As for privacy, the mousekeepers don't seem to have any issues opening doors, so I don't think that's going to be a major consideration.
Disney is passive aggressive and doesn’t want CMs confronting guests directly, see soda machines with chips now. What they should do is just program the lock to disengage and the door to open if it hasn’t been opened for 7 hours. Then Fido just lets himself out and probably runs away since his owners abandoned him in a hotel room for 7+ hours;) Problem solved.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
1) Because locking your kid in your room for 7 hours:
a) Ilegal
b) Most kids don't bark for hours while unattended for up to 7 hours
c) Most kids don't pee on the floor while unattended for up to 7 hours
d) There is no way to monitor or enforce the 7 hour rule
2) Most kids don't shed
3) Most kids are potty trained / use diapers
4) Most kids don't bite other people
5) Most kids don't leave a lingering smell
6) Most kids don't eat off the floor
7) Most kids (other than Jenny McCarthy's) are up to date on their shots (Disney is only requiring proof IF they ask, not at check in.)
8) Most kids don't bring and leave fleas in the room (that can then spread to other rooms
9) Most housekeeping staff won't be field stripping all the soft goods out of the room after a pet stay
10) Most kids don't drop a deuce on the sidewalk as you are walking by with your breakfast tray

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY

When I pay WDW levels of money I don't want to deal with Doctor Doolittle and his two dogs.
If I could talk to the animals I wouldn't, because they are flipping ANIMALS.
It’s a good thing you said most for a lot of those;)

21stamps

I agree with this. It’s pretty common these days. I stated before that I had no problem with the concept and even look forward to meeting a few dogs if I happen to be at some of those resorts. My only issues are with the execution of the plan. I think it’s a mistake to allow dogs unattended in the rooms. Many hotel chains don’t allow this and there’s a good reason for it. If dogs are regular travelers it’s unlikely that they are accustomed to being left in the room for 7 hours at a time because a lot of dog friendly hotels would not allow that. It also makes for a lot of unnecessary potential conflicts. How many times does the dog need to bark before the owner is contacted? How do you enforce the 7 hour rule?

As far as the people with phobias go, I guess I just have a little more empathy. I love dogs and couldn’t imagine being afraid of them myself but that doesn’t make it any less real for those people. In this thread the majority of the people who stated they had phobias seemed to be pretty level headed and not over the top. The main complaint was not having enough notice to avoid those 4 hotels which I think is completely valid.

I know dogs are left home alone all the time. I’ve had dogs most of my life and they always stayed home with only a small number of incidents. The difference is that’s at home in their environment. Most dogs tend to be good travelers as long as they are with their family. They usually enjoy new experience and new places to explore. In my experience it only takes a day or even less for them to acclimate to a new environment. I do think it’s a different story when you take a dog to a new environment like a hotel and then leave for a day at the parks. Being left alone in an unfamiliar place is not common for most dogs. That’s where I think this plan falls apart. A dog that’s well behaved most of the time may get anxious if they are left for a long period of time in an unfamiliar hotel room especially when there is a lot of noise coming from outside the door as people (especially kids) walk by the room on their way to the parks.

I have left my dog in a hotel room.. I’d say most people have. It’s not uncommon. They get acclimated the same way they do to a pet hotel.

For me, Disney World isn’t a vacation where I would bring my dog..but I understand that everyone vacations differently. I’m not an open to close park commando, and I’m sure there’s people who spend even less time at the parks than I do. If they know their dog and know he will be fine for 7 hours.. go for it.

As far as having sympathy for people with phobias.. @Gabe1 put it perfectly- if your phobia is that strong then you would rarely leave you house. We’re talking dogs.. not some rare animal. People will encounter a dog on a leash at some point in their life.

21stamps

As someone who is against this policy, I think there are ways that it could have been done to minimize most of the complaints and still try out the policy.
  • Announce the policy and that it will go into effect one year from now. This gives *everyone* time to adjust plans if necessary. And of all the items on the list, this is probably the most important.
  • Make it clear that there is a certain section of each resort dedicated to dogs, and as someone else suggested, retrofit them with pet-friendly surfaces and increased soundproofing.
  • Make the policy apply to fewer resorts - FW and one other, either AoA or POR.
  • Require that dogs could not be left in the room alone for more than 30 minutes. Offer a "Magical doggy-sitter" service and Doggie Day Care Kennel to care for dogs when their owners are at the parks.
Alternatively, rather than doing this at all, since Disney is all about building new resorts these days, how about a resort built for families with pets from day 1, with doggie play areas, activities, etc...

I think if the above were done, there would be a lot fewer complaints from all of us.

But you’re complaining about something that you don’t even have experience with.lol

The complaints are accomplishing what? Giving more work to someone’s day for you to express how horrible you think this is, even though you haven’t experienced it. I’m sure they’re grateful. It must be entertaining to work in that department at Disney.. at least they get some good laughs during their day. I can’t imagine what they read on a daily basis.

Incomudro

Oh, it's doable.
Monitor the room, send a text or call the renter by say hour 5 as a heads up to get back.
But it won't be done.

The_Jobu

I'm curious if this adds extra responsibilities to mousekeeping. Something like people assume mousekeeping will add water to the dog's bowl while they're out all day.

Actually, just getting in there to clean with a dog in there is it's own challenge.

AndyS2992

I'm curious if this adds extra responsibilities to mousekeeping. Something like people assume mousekeeping will add water to the dog's bowl while they're out all day.

Actually, just getting in there to clean with a dog in there is it's own challenge.
Rules state that mousekeeping are not allowed to enter any rooms while a dog is present, for liability reasons I'm sure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have left my dog in a hotel room.. I’d say most people have. It’s not uncommon. They get acclimated the same way they do to a pet hotel.

For me, Disney World isn’t a vacation where I would bring my dog..but I understand that everyone vacations differently. I’m not an open to close park commando, and I’m sure there’s people who spend even less time at the parks than I do. If they know their dog and know he will be fine for 7 hours.. go for it.

As far as having sympathy for people with phobias.. @Gabe1 put it perfectly- if your phobia is that strong then you would rarely leave you house. We’re talking dogs.. not some rare animal. People will encounter a dog on a leash at some point in their life.
Like I said before, I’ve had dogs my entire life and I never took one to a hotel and left it for 7 hours but to each their own I guess. It may be allowed based on these rules, but I don’t think it’s right to do to the dog. I also don’t think it’s very common. Again, many hotels won’t even allow it.

I think you are missing the point on the phobias. There’s a big difference between seeing a dog on the street or at a park on a leash and running into one in an enclosed hallway at a hotel like Yacht Club. I think someone with a phobia posted many pages back that if they see a person walking a dog they would just cross the street. Pretty easy to avoid. IF people actually follow the rules listed there’s a really good chance that someone with a phobia will be able to completely avoid dogs as long as they don’t stay in one of these resorts or if they do they request a room far away from the dogs and avoid the outdoor relief areas. I am skeptical people will follow the rules but I’ll give people the benefit of the doubt for now. We will have to wait and see how long it takes for dogs to be out in the lobby and common areas or walking around the grounds in areas not designated for relief.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Like I said before, I’ve had dogs my entire life and I never took one to a hotel and left it for 7 hours but to each their own I guess. It may be allowed based on these rules, but I don’t think it’s right to do to the dog. I also don’t think it’s very common. Again, many hotels won’t even allow it.

I think you are missing the point on the phobias. There’s a big difference between seeing a dog on the street or at a park on a leash and running into one in an enclosed hallway at a hotel like Yacht Club. I think someone with a phobia posted many pages back that if they see a person walking a dog they would just cross the street. Pretty easy to avoid. IF people actually follow the rules listed there’s a really good chance that someone with a phobia will be able to completely avoid dogs as long as they don’t stay in one of these resorts or if they do they request a room far away from the dogs and avoid the outdoor relief areas. I am skeptical people will follow the rules but I’ll give people the benefit of the doubt for now. We will have to wait and see how long it takes for dogs to be out in the lobby and common areas or walking around the grounds in areas not designated for relief.
I am the phobic person who posted that I cross the road whenever I see any dog bigger than 20 lbs.

My dog radar is constantly on high alert. I am always listening for the jingle of a collar and tags, and scanning the area around me for the presence of dogs. Hubby is equally vigilant. When we absolutely must pass near to a dog, his 6’ 8” / 240 lb frame is always between me and the dog.

I’m really getting offended by these pseudo psychiatrists here telling me and others that we are “selectively phobic”. Show me your medical degree, and I’ll be happy to lay on your couch for a full diagnosis. Until then, some people need to empathize more and flap their gums less.

I have already said that I am willing to wait a few weeks to see how things unfold before I request a resort transfer. For those who read my trip report during Irma, I shared then that I was distressed by the dogs at the resort and was quite happy to be in lockdown. My “selective phobia” did not just develop a few days ago with the sudden announcement of this change in policy. :banghead:

DisneyFreak

upload_2017-10-16_13-6-44.png

Too soon? :cautious:

21stamps

You obviously don’t travel with your dogs. Many people do. Those dogs are already acclimated to staying in hotels, and their owners know what to bring.

Give the owners and the dogs the benefit of the doubt.

The hallway situation has already been addressed by Disney, so that’s a non issue. I think all of the dog-fearful/hating people will be fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom