39-and-and-a-half Inches!

TheTophDaddy

Original Poster
OK. Here's the rub.

With our trip commencing in four days, my daughter has topped out at a hair (literally!) over 39.5 inches while barefoot.

My lord God! Why not just one more half inch!

But, since I will not be buying lifts for the poor child, and I doubt that she will have a growth spurt between now and Saturday, I was wondering a few things:

1.) Are the measuring sticks used EXACTLY 40 inches high? Do they take into account shoes, or will just wearing tennis shoes be enough to take her over that 40 inch requirement?

2.) Is 39.5" good enough as far as CMs are concerned?

3.) Besides lifts and thick socks, are there any other tricks the wise people of WDWMAGIC forums have used?

She'll be particularly disappointed if she doesn't get on Splash Mountain and "the Disney Coaster", i.e. Big Thunder Mountain. So will I!

AND I'M ALREADY NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO RIDE HAUNTED MANSION THANKS TO THE REHAB! I JUST CAN'T TAKE ANY MORE DISAPPOINTMENTS! :brick:

Sigh.

:) :rolleyes:

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure they just measure from the ground, so her shoes might put her over the top. Does she have big hair? ;) That might make a difference. :lol: (I'm just joking...I have seen a CM put her hand on top to flatten the hair)

Seriously, I've been there...my son was about 1/2" too short for the "old" Dinosaur....when we went back a few months later, he was tall enough....but they had lowered the height limit, so it didn't matter anymore. My thought (at the time) was if I had just "spiked" his hair, he probably could have ridden it the first time. ;) (but I didn't do it then, and wouldn't do it now, if he were just a bit too short to ride something)

I'm not really sure if 1/2" will make a difference between the restraints working properly, or not. I think I would feel pretty guilty if I ignored the guidelines and something happened to my child. I would hope that there's a little leeway on them, but I don't know if I would depend upon it. I know it's frustrating to tell your child "No" and listen to their crying and carrying on, but the guidelines are there for a reason.

Sherm00

buy her a pair of sketcher sneekers (I think thats what they are kmart has them, think walmart also) it will raise her a whole inch and nobody will notice.

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree that if she's wearing shoes, that should make her tall enough, especially since some of the rides are more comfortable if your feet touch the floor, and the thicker soles would help. I can't imagine them trying to estimate how thick the average shoe sole is, and adjusting the stick accordingly...but maybe I'm wrong.

Any CMs around who've had measuring experience? Do they add extra to make up for shoes?

What about people who have extremely long legs? They might be tall enough standing, but when seated the restraints might not work properly. I have a friend who is only 5' tall, but she's the same height as her 5'7' daughter when they're sitting down.

WDWspider

I don't see why the measurement wouldn't include shoes, after all, you wear the shoes on the ride, so the height is based on that.

lborne

My son was 39.5 inches too and he got on all the rides since his shoes got him past 40". However, some rides (Test Track), they measured him more than once. And the final measurement is the one that counts.

My son would kind of stand on tippy toes to get even higher. Some CMs thought that was cute, and others did not appreciate it. Some were very strict and took their time measuring him, making sure he was not stretching, etc. But no one subtracted shoe thickness. And the sticks seem to be right on 40".

Have fun

CAPTAIN HOOK

Measure your daughter with her shoes ON, if shes still short pop a sock under her heel inside the shoe - that should raise her just enough. You only need the sock inside while she's being measured, she doesn't need to walk around with it all day :wave:

hockeymom

I don't think you'll have a problem... the first time we took our kids, my son was 6 and he was just a touch under the mark, but with his new running shoes (and they were just regular reeboks), he was fine, but he did get measured EVERY time!! but made it.

have a great time!!
:wave:

Irrawaddy Erik

Originally posted by TheTophDaddy

1.) Are the measuring sticks used EXACTLY 40 inches high? Do they take into account shoes, or will just wearing tennis shoes be enough to take her over that 40 inch requirement?

2.) Is 39.5" good enough as far as CMs are concerned?

3.) Besides lifts and thick socks, are there any other tricks the wise people of WDWMAGIC forums have used?

Okie here are a few answers for 1. The sticks are EXACTLY the height requirement of the particular attraction... as long as they make it to that point then they get in. If tennis shoes puts her over the requirement then she will be able to go. Now I have told little kids no on barnstormer because they were wearing HUGE platform shoes and its just not safe if you are under the height, thats why they are there for safety reasons. 2. If she doesnt make the height requirements she will not be allowed on, no ifs ands or buts, about it. I have seen too many parents get p.o.ed when there kid cannot get on and seem to totally disregard the whole idea that the requirement is for safety.

Measure her with her shoes on and she should should make it if she is that close.

GOOD LUCK

Dwarful

I am not sure...but maybe a CM could answer this one...cant you get your child measured once at City Hall on Mainstreet USA and the child then has a paper bracelet to wear showing that he/she meets a certain height requirement? Or am I totally confusing Theme Parks here? If you can do this it might save some aggravation..you know if the child "officially qualifies" then they wouldn't have to be remeasured at every ride...does anyone know what I am talking about???or am I totally confused??

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by The Mom

I'm not really sure if 1/2" will make a difference between the restraints working properly, or not. I think I would feel pretty guilty if I ignored the guidelines and something happened to my child. I would hope that there's a little leeway on them, but I don't know if I would depend upon it. I know it's frustrating to tell your child "No" and listen to their crying and carrying on, but the guidelines are there for a reason.

If Disney is gonna be that for a half-inch, then shame-on-disney. :(

:cry:

RobFL

Account Suspended
Originally posted by ntn_haqqer

If Disney is gonna be that for a half-inch, then shame-on-disney. :(

:cry:

No, shame on you for attempting to endanger a child over a safety policy.

-Rob

cbjlshaw

As you have already read, buy her a shoe with a thick sole. I have never seen it where they subtract the thickness of the soles. Also if this doesn't work, we have used everything from rolled up tissue to socks in the shoes.

For those who will argue about safety, yes it's an issue and yes the height requirements are there for a reason, but 1/2 an inch isn't that much, now if it was 1 1/2 inches, I might worry.

Also measure her in the morning, that's when you are your tallest. Everyone shrinks as the day wears on!:lol:

Scooter

Here's my thoughts:

They HAVE to draw a line somewhere, and they drew it at 40"

I'm sure there is a reason for this height requirement and it's about safety. Don't endanger your childs life for the sake of a thrill ride. Just hope he or she has grown enough on the next trip. There's so much to see and do at Disney World that missing a couple of rides won't be that tramatic.

My daughter is 20 1/2 years old and I won't let her drink alcohol because the legal drinking age is 21.

My son is 15 1/2 but he can't drive a car until he's 16...that's just the way it is.

However ...if you feel you can't stand the thought of your child not going on these rides you might try stretching him or her on a RACK...or perhaps hanging them upside down by their FEET for a few days might work...I saw that on an episode of Andy Griffith. They stretched Barney so he would pass the height requirements to be a police officer and filled his pockets with rocks so he would weigh enough....

:p

instidude

My son was 39.5" the last time we went in February, that was in his bare feet. In his shoes he just made the 40" limit. Shoes are included in the height, as long as their reasonable, no 70's era Disco platform shoes. He was measured for every ride, and made it. However, Test Track was very picky, and he was measured many times (and when he made it he jumped back in line screaming "I'm tall enough"). The limits are in place not just for safety, but also for lawsuits. If someone did get hurt, and they were 39.5", a lawsuit would be easily won against Disney.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the ride loading CM has the final say. They check at the front of the line, and you may be OK there, but if the CM at the loading station says no, then that is it. Just so you know, Splash Mountain was not an issue, since it is not high speed like Test Track, but as I said, TT was very particluar with multiple measurements. I personnaly think it helped that we (the parents) were not pushy, and told our son to cooperate and whatever the nice cast member says. There decision is what we have to follow. I have heard horror stories about pushy parents, and no cast member wants to deal with these types. So, they may give benefit of the doubt if you also show some Disney Courtesy.

wannabeBelle

I have to agree with RObFL and HMPPAN on this one!! I understand the kids will not be thrilled to not go on a ride, but safety MUST come first. Also if you speak to a CM at the front of the ride I believe they have a sort of Fast pass for when the kid is tall enough to ride on the next trip!! We did this with my niece when I went in 2001 and as her Mom and Dad werent upset about her not quite making the height on some rides, neither was she!!! Belle

TheTophDaddy

Original Poster
A Couple Comments...

Enjoyed reading many of the replies... thanks for taking the time. I just thought I would throw back a couple of comments.

1.) Safety - Safety is, and will always be, the primary concern when dealing with children under my care. Thanks for the posts that mention this, but it is unnecessary. If I thought for even one second that my daughter's safety was the issue, the question would not have been posed.

2.) Line Drawn at 40" - Having been an American for, well, all my life, I know that one thing is certain... if you want a regulation to be followed, you overstate the requirement. I.e. if I want to be sure that no one under 38" uses a facility or rides a ride, then I set the requirement at 40". Same goes for things like Pre-trip Inspections, speed limits, and contraception. This does two things... one, it keeps people in a safe range of activity AND protects from lawsuits. I work for a company where safety is an absolute premium, so I know of what I speak. Again, if I thought that a half inch made a difference in safety, believe me when I tell you that I would not have made this post.

3.) Disney Courtesy - When I am within the property limits of WDW, I practically am the living embodiment of Disney Courtesy. ;) There is no one nicer, more interested in following rules, or more considerate than me. Call it good manners, a forgotten art in 2002 America, but my parents taught me right. And I teach my children the same. The simple power of "Hello", "Please", and "Thank You" cannot be overstated. Even if one of them should say "no", they will get nothing but kind consideration from me. Now, my wife, on the other hand, is a vicious and barely controlled beast with a temper as large as all get out. I can never say how SHE will react! ;)

Thanks, again, for all the posts. I appreciate the time you took to type them in. AND I am happy that this thread did not enter into the hyperbolic arguments that pop up here in the strangest of places... like that obesity and laziness argument in the CM thread.
Sheesh!

TheToph

wannabeBelle

Hey Toph!! Im sorry if I in any way offended. The post was certainly never meant to. Many parents are certainly not as astute or considerate as you seem to be. Usually they get all huffy and the kids feel worse because they are embarrassed about not being able to get on a ride. If your children are anything like yourself I Am sure they will be fine. I cant speak to the height restriction being overstated though. I Am just really not sure! I hope you have an amazing trip and I will keep my fingers crossed for the little ones to get on the rides they want to!!! Belle

CamCodey

Hi!

We were at WDW last year with my 39-3/4" son & he was rejected at EVERY ride that had a 40" height restriction!! He cried & cried, but the CM's would not give in.

The up side was that we knew that we were coming back this spring (May 16-23) & he knew he'd definitely get on then.

He's looking forward to Rock'n Roller Coaster & Primieval Whirl!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom