30 days away from first trip to WDW in 15 years.. random questions and stuff for you pros.

Joshsteve

let me just start by saying thank you to everyone for posting their knowledge and experiences here.

I went to WDW several times as a child. My aunt is a former cast member. The last time I was there was about 15 years ago with my family (I was 16.) We were a large group, and we went to pretty much everything, sparing no expense.

fast forward 15 years, I'm now 31. I finally have put away enough money to be able to afford a trip for myself and my girlfriend to WDW.

We're going for 5 nights, 4 days in park, staying at the swan sept 23-28. I was going to rent a car, but thanks to this forum I discovered the quicksilver tours car service, whom I will be booking for our trip from MCO to the Swan and back.

the rest of the trip we plan to utilize the buses and monorail.

the first day we arrive we plan to spend getting accustomed to being on the resort and playing a round of mini golf.I also want to rent a paddle boat and take the girlfriend out on the water.

how realistic are the walking distances from the swan? the website says that fantasia mini golf is "easy" walking distance? I also understand you can walk to EPCOT and DHS ? how far are we talking?

We also "plan" to knock out DHS and AK in most of one day. Monday, Sept 24th DHS has EMH until midnight, so we are going to do ak the early part of the day and DHS at night.

the other 3 days we are going to spend park hopping!!

backpacks/purses are you allowed to carry them on rides, or are there lockers outside every ride like at busch gardens?

what is disney's policy on E-cigs? do you have to be in the designated smoking areas to use them?

Minthorne

The swan is a great location. Walk or boat options to DHS and Epcot. If you are on a park hopper ticket you can walk through Epcot and take the monorail to the TTC and then monorail or ferry to MK. Or you can bus from the Swan to MK. You have to bus to AK.

I think the walks to Epcot and DHS are nice. I generally always walk to Epcot. It's closer. DHS is about 1 1/2 times as far so I walk if there isn't a boat on its way. For both there is always the boat.

It depends in the ride for bags etc. but they have plans to deal with it at each ride. There are lockers in the park but not at each ride.

I think the generally agreed e-cig policy is to treat it like regular cig smoking and to limit it to designated areas. I'm not sure in that though...

Have an awesome trip! I think the mini golf/paddle boat idea the first day is awesome. You should consider the boardwalk that evening and have dinner then go to Jellyrolls for drinks and the dueling pianos!

Upvote 0

wiigirl

what is disney's policy on E-cigs? do you have to be in the designated smoking areas to use them?

Now thats an interesting question...I have seen people using them every so often but I am not sure if they were supposed too.
75.gif

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

how realistic are the walking distances from the swan? the website says that fantasia mini golf is "easy" walking distance?

It's quite literally across the street from the Swan. There is a pedestrian path/cross walk that crosses Epcot Resorts Boulevard on the west side of the Swan.

I also understand you can walk to EPCOT and DHS ? how far are we talking?

From the rear of the Swan hotel to the International Gateway at Epcot via Boardwalk is about 2/3 mile.

From the rear of the Swan hotel to the gate at DHS is about 1 mile walking distance.

Boat service runs to both Epcot and DHS as well. Depending on when the boat arrives, etc, it's probably less time to walk.

backpacks/purses are you allowed to carry them on rides, or are there lockers outside every ride like at busch gardens?

Smaller bags/purses can come with you on just about every ride. You can either put them at your feet on the ride, or there is often a net to store them on the faster rides.

Upvote 0

Joshsteve

Original Poster
thanks guys!!!!!! neither of us drink anymore, but we'll look out for some "virgin" adult beverages.

It seems like this week of september is going to be a good week , as far as low crowds.

where's a good casual place to eat the first night, near the mini golf and boats , where i won't need a reservation?

we are both kinda weird when it comes to eating. We might eat 2 big meals one day, and snack all day the next, so i wanted to keep the options open and didn't make any reservations.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

thanks guys!!!!!! neither of us drink anymore, but we'll look out for some "virgin" adult beverages.

It seems like this week of september is going to be a good week , as far as low crowds.

where's a good casual place to eat the first night, near the mini golf and boats , where i won't need a reservation?

we are both kinda weird when it comes to eating. We might eat 2 big meals one day, and snack all day the next, so i wanted to keep the options open and didn't make any reservations.
The mini golf and boats are within easy walking distance of the Swan.

You have a lot of restaurant options that are within walking distance of the Swan. The Swan and Dolphin have some really nice (but expensive) restaurants, probably not your best bet for casual. The Boardwalk is within easy walking distance.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/disneys-boardwalk/dining/

The Yacht & Beach Club are also within walking distance.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/beach-club-resort/dining/

None of these usually require a reservation.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
let me just start by saying thank you to everyone for posting their knowledge and experiences here.

I went to WDW several times as a child. My aunt is a former cast member. The last time I was there was about 15 years ago with my family (I was 16.) We were a large group, and we went to pretty much everything, sparing no expense.

fast forward 15 years, I'm now 31. I finally have put away enough money to be able to afford a trip for myself and my girlfriend to WDW.

We're going for 5 nights, 4 days in park, staying at the swan sept 23-28. I was going to rent a car, but thanks to this forum I discovered the quicksilver tours car service, whom I will be booking for our trip from MCO to the Swan and back.

the rest of the trip we plan to utilize the buses and monorail.

the first day we arrive we plan to spend getting accustomed to being on the resort and playing a round of mini golf.I also want to rent a paddle boat and take the girlfriend out on the water.

how realistic are the walking distances from the swan? the website says that fantasia mini golf is "easy" walking distance? I also understand you can walk to EPCOT and DHS ? how far are we talking? - Its not that far of a walk but you can take the friendship boat too

We also "plan" to knock out DHS and AK in most of one day. Monday, Sept 24th DHS has EMH until midnight, so we are going to do ak the early part of the day and DHS at night.

the other 3 days we are going to spend park hopping!!

backpacks/purses are you allowed to carry them on rides, or are there lockers outside every ride like at busch gardens? Yes, there are lockers but not like outside rides at US or BG. They are in the front of the park and there are lockers there. However, I have not had an issue with this. My back pack always fits on EE and Dinosaur, as well as TOT and RRC. For any water rides, bring a bag - like a garbage bag - to slip your bag into.

I don't know if this is their policy but you can not walk around the park with a cigarette of any kind. So use the E Cigs in the designated smoking areas.

Upvote 0

plaz10

I take a backpack to Disney and take it on every single ride with me. Space Mountain, Rock n Roller Coaster...every one. Usually I take it off and put it at my feet. On RnRC I usually put one foot through the straps so it doesn't fly anywhere. But I never use lockers or anything...never had to.

Upvote 0

BUZZCRUSH

First, you picked a great location, easy walking to Epcot & DHS, my 2 favorite parks. Just remember whatever bag you take in is searched at the entrance. I have a special bag I use for Disney cause it's smaller and easy to open for security to see what's in it. I always carry it on the rides no problem. My husband got caught with a knife one year at the entrance - he's one of those who just always had a utility knife in his pocket - so didn't think. But they just put it in a locker outside the park and we got it when we left. If you think you need a back pack, take it, my husband always carrie one on the rides no problem.

Upvote 0

JonBoy

I take a backpack to Disney and take it on every single ride with me. Space Mountain, Rock n Roller Coaster...every one. Usually I take it off and put it at my feet. On RnRC I usually put one foot through the straps so it doesn't fly anywhere. But I never useanything...never had to.

Lol I too put my foot through the straps on that ride then forget and trip as I get off! I must look a right fool like I am terrified and can't wait to escape!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom