Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Lilofan

Scott Trowbridge posted an Instagram a message that could be taken either way.

I’m going to guess Joe is on some sort of leave, he hasn’t returned to the office since quarantine. If they want to go ahead with Bahamas they will need him for political reasons.

Hopefully Steve stays around as long as possible.

Anyone else?
One post Scott from WDI still has on Instagram is "I don't know what the future holds. "

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes and no. Did the Disney public accept Pixar pier? To an extent. But they had already fixed so much of California adventure including adding midway mania to the the pier that the cheap additions didn’t stick out the same way.

The modern Disney audience did not accept California adventure 1.0 for example.
I think since 2001 the general Disney audience have grown to accept less. Even in the DCA / WDSP era standards were on the whole higher. Since then there’s a mentality that it must be good because we’ve been told it is. IMHO of course.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not the entire thing. I imagine quite large behind the scenes Photopass roles at the DRC that work on customer service and retrieval aspect of Photopass. It is not likely that many needed these days.
I have a feeling photopass doesn’t generate much in the way of sales anymore...

Not surprised if they cut a lot of staff there

Lilofan

If you need any reminder what message these layoffs send to investors, Citi maintained its Buy rating and price target while MoffettNathanson raised the price target.
It is extremely unfortunate that many will lose their jobs through no fault of their own. Layoffs in companies though at times sends positive messages to investors and Wall Street. That's nothing new. They see companies trying to overcome financial difficulties thru " restructuring ". The layoffs will no doubt reduce costs. Iger has been talking for a number of years with his vision of a leaner more efficient organization.

Slpy3270

So on one camp you have people who think that despite the layoffs the Covid impact will be temporary and that Disney will be largely unscathed.

On the other you have media journalists who say that Disney is doomed and that the company won't be the same anymore (with one even suggesting that the MCU is doomed because of no movie this year, George Floyd and Prime Video's The Boys).

Who is right?

Q_Division

So on one camp you have people who think that despite the layoffs the Covid impact will be temporary and that Disney will be largely unscathed.

On the other you have media journalists who say that Disney is doomed and that the company won't be the same anymore (with one even suggesting that the MCU is doomed because of no movie this year, George Floyd and Prime Video's The Boys).

Who is right?

I'm not sure I know the answer but I think Disney (the company) will be largely unscathed in the sense they will continue to travel in the direction they were travelling in. For things like the parks though I think (and worry) it will only accelerate the direction of motion to "lower quality" IP drivern experiences.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Who is right?

Amazon's "The Boys" is a fevered adolescent fantasy that lacks a large back catalog of source material.

the.dreamfinder

Who is right?
Nuance.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Who is right?
Neither

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom