Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Goofyernmost

You know where jello used to come from? Its obviously changed now.
Jello is one thing but eating congealed blood is quite another. I wonder how many people would actually eat Pork Rinds if they actually knew what they were. Here in NC there is a place that specializes in Pork products. It's really just a pork store. When I first moved here I was out exploring the area one day and came across the place. So I went in the door and the very first thing I saw in the display case was a complete pig face looking up at me. I don't know what is made out of pig face, and I can assure you I don't want to know. (I do know that Head Cheese is one of the items.) That was also one of my Dad's favorites. I tried it once and once was more then enough.

Last edited:

Basil of Baker Street

Jello is one thing but eating congealed blood is quite another. I wonder how many people would actually eat Pork Rinds if they actually knew what they were. Here in NC there is a place that specializes in Pork products. It's really just a pork store. When I first moved here I was out exploring the area one day and came across the place. So I went in the door and the very first thing I saw in the display case was a complete pig face looking up at me. I don't know what is made out of pig face, and I can assure you I don't want to know.
Pork rinds are delicious. Down here its called cracklins.

Goofyernmost

Chitlins are pig intestines. Cracklins are fried pig skin.
Oops! Well I'll be damned. I guess 10 years living down here wasn't long enough to have become familiar with all the subtle southern words, y'all. That said, Chitlins or Cracklins or Pork Rinds are never on my menu's. I have an Atkins following daughter that is constantly devouring "Pork Rinds". I have a very hard time trying to figure out how a slice of bread is worse for you then eating external pig flesh. But, as I have just shown there are many, many things that I do not know.

techgeek

Taking my comments here so as to not derail the other thread.

Full shame on Disney for this.

I linked the story without comment, but.. these stories are the reality in central Florida right now, and it’s sickening that not only would the company not look after their own dedicated cast, but neither can our federal, state, or local governments.

Not just Disney, but stories like this exist from every single one of the hundreds of hotels, I-drive restaurants, bus and taxi drivers, and other business tangentially attached to tourism (which, the way cash from tourism jobs trickles into almost everything means that it’s literally almost every business in Orlando...). It’s not just the lowest paid housekeepers, it’s positions across the entire pay scale. People can’t wait until 2022 for things to ‘return to normal’, and there are little to no jobs to pivot to right now.

techgeek

So basically, this is just an article about how much it sucks be laid off when you are in the hospitality industry and living paycheck to paycheck (which it absolutely does), but they use Disney's name to drive clicks when this story could have been about Universal, Marriott, or any other hospitality workers.

Note they don't highlight the amount of weeks that Disney continued to pay these employees (while most hospitality companies did not) even though they were not working and the resort wasn't open. This is Exhibit A of why companies should never do things for "optics" as you do not get any credit, you set bad precedent, and it doesn't help you internally or externally. I think the phrase she was looking for was "thank you".

But apparently her separation letter didn't use her actual name when they were having to mass process thousands of layoffs so that means Disney is horrible and I'm sure she's returning the money she was paid when she wasn't working.

What did the author exactly want Disney to do - continue to pay tens of thousands of employees (and their lost tips) forever even when the business does not require them?

#nogooddeedgoesunpunished

It is abundantly clear from Disney’s financials that leadership could absolutely have said “No one gets left behind. We may have to be creative, but we’ll figure out a way through this together.”

They chose another path. Perhaps the right path for the short term financial picture of the company, but I feel there were other paths out there besides mass layoffs. Perhaps in the long term those paths would have made for an even stronger company.

sbunit

So basically, this is just an article about how much it sucks be laid off when you are in the hospitality industry and living paycheck to paycheck (which it absolutely does), but they use Disney's name to drive clicks when this story could have been about Universal, Marriott, or any other hospitality workers.

Note they don't highlight the amount of weeks that Disney continued to pay these employees (while most hospitality companies did not) even though they were not working and the resort wasn't open. This is Exhibit A of why companies should never do things for "optics" as you do not get any credit, you set bad precedent, and it doesn't help you internally or externally. I think the phrase she was looking for was "thank you".

But apparently her separation letter didn't use her actual name when they were having to mass process thousands of layoffs so that means Disney is horrible and I'm sure she's returning the money she was paid when she wasn't working.

What did the author exactly want Disney to do - continue to pay tens of thousands of employees (and their lost tips) forever even when the business does not require them?

While I wholeheartedly agree with your general sentiment towards the manner, I personally think there could have been a better middle ground solution that would've addressed the cast members needs as well as Disney's (supposed) short term constraints. I think Disney should've put in a more creative thought process in creating a strategy that cuts down their operating costs while retaining the vast majority of the core of their business, which is in my opinion their cast members. There are/were a myriad of ways to accomplish this, don't have to be a seasoned Fortune 500 executive to figure this out. Just my two cents.

SamusAranX

That women and mother of two worked her off to find a better life, and was providing care for her autistic daughter, and making an average of 55-65k a year, which in Florida is a great salary even for the college educated, and you basically blame her and others for “living paycheck to paycheck”? How dare she like working at Disney and make enough to pay her bills and enjoy life. You’re a special kind of someone....

my company this year didn’t lay any one off, still paid PtO and health care, and didn’t freeze wages. Instead, they found a plan and accepted it meant lower profits. Just because you’re a corporation doesn’t give you a pass, even if you started off doing good and decided to pull the plug and give money to your executives and fund 100+ new productions instead of maybe seeing if there was a way to help these employees through the winter; even if it was publix gift cards,small severance, a end of year bonus as a thank you, job placement assistance. Etc

legwand77

There truly is lack of fundamental understanding of how the business world works along with capitalism. The same people who are crying about how everything should be shut down, restaurants closed, travel restricted for a year or more, are the same ones complaining about companies not taking care of their employees at all costs, which would destroy companies and already has a lot of small business. Restaurant owners gets shutdown for a year, spent their entire lives building it and some expect them to just pivot to something else? Some are living in a true fantasy land here, but I guess that is expected as it is a Disney board.

TrainsOfDisney

Restaurant owners gets shutdown for a year, spent their entire lives building it and some expect them to just pivot to something else?
Restaurants aren’t being shutdown, they can’t have indoor dining (and in some cases they can’t have outdoor dining) but they can still have takeout, delivery, etc.

There are several coffee shops in my town but of the 2 that I frequented the most, one of them closed permanently in March and said “we can’t survive! Whaaaaa poor us” and the other paid to have a custom app created and put up numbered signs in the parking lot so you can order from your phone and they bring it out to your car. They also have been running sales for at-home brewing equipment (chemex, aeropress, etc.) and posting recipes for their most popular drinks.

They seem to be doing fine, they even gave away all of their profits last Tuesday to a local charity and thanked the community for their support.

But please, go on about how I lack a fundamental understanding of business. :)

legwand77

Restaurants aren’t being shutdown, they can’t have indoor dining (and in some cases they can’t have outdoor dining) but they can still have takeout, delivery, etc.

There are several coffee shops in my town but of the 2 that I frequented the most, one of them closed permanently in March and said “we can’t survive! Whaaaaa poor us” and the other paid to have a custom app created and put up numbered signs in the parking lot so you can order from your phone and they bring it out to your car. They also have been running sales for at-home brewing equipment (chemex, aeropress, etc.) and posting recipes for their most popular drinks.

They seem to be doing fine, they even gave away all of their profits last Tuesday to a local charity and thanked the community for their support.

But please, go on about how I lack a fundamental understanding of business. :)
You have not run a restaurant it is obvious ,so just stop. First lesson is a coffee shop the same as a restaurant?

Tell that to all these businesses that closed. Tell them why didn't they just whip up an app and put signs in a parking lot, shame on them, bunch of whiners using your description.

and more since that article. 30% have already closed and that is before the shutdown again on Monday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom