News 2023 EPCOT Festival of the Arts

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Does the marathon runners really add all that much crowding to the parks?

I haven't ever visited post xmas/new years, but I always assumed any increase due to the runners weekend would be offset by a general lack of families/kids due to the holidays being over and most families not pulling their kids out of school right after xmas vacation for another trip
It’s been a while…but the marathon crunch is measurable on certain days. But that was partly because they’d slash the hours and start with that “after hours” nonsense when it wasn’t warranted.

The holiday hours should be extended through 1/10…if they cared.
But they don’t

Touchdown

Funny part, I booked this back in June, and had no idea Festival of the Arts was happening. I have never done this one, so I can't wait
It’s my second favorite festival. The food I think is the best of all of them (quality over quantity) and the Broadway show is very good, and gets better every year. The art booths and chalk art are great as well.

arich35

We are wanting to visit around this time next year. Is the Festival of the Arts typically around the same time every year? We are thinking the last week in January would probably be the best time to visit

CntrlFlPete

Does the marathon runners really add all that much crowding to the parks?

I haven't ever visited post xmas/new years, but I always assumed any increase due to the runners weekend would be offset by a general lack of families/kids due to the holidays being over and most families not pulling their kids out of school right after xmas vacation for another trip

as an outsider, it is tough to say -- what I can say is that holiday crowds thread talks of long waits this week. I know when I was just glancing at park reservations as an AP most days had no availability at most parks between 1/2 and 1/5

I know polk county schools did not go back until 1/5 and a couple of AP levels ended blocked dates on 1/2, so that could have added to the crowds. Anyway, the parks have been rather busy this week and the marathon seems to have brought a lot of folks down for the entire week (not just the weekend itself.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
as an outsider, it is tough to say -- what I can say is that holiday crowds thread talks of long waits this week. I know when I was just glancing at park reservations as an AP most days had no availability at most parks between 1/2 and 1/5

I know polk county schools did not go back until 1/5 and a couple of AP levels ended blocked dates on 1/2, so that could have added to the crowds. Anyway, the parks have been rather busy this week and the marathon seems to have brought a lot of folks down for the entire week (not just the weekend itself.
Marathon crowds…like food and wine, Halloween, January and February, and may crowds…have been on steady increase since about 2005. A big part of their strategy was to never have “slow” times…and it succeeded.

Now they caught the tiger by the tail

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Marathon crowds…like food and wine, Halloween, January and February, and may crowds…have been on steady increase since about 2005. A big part of their strategy was to never have “slow” times…and it succeeded.

Now they caught the tiger by the tail
There's also Revenge Vacationing going right now too. That makes things even worse.

I work at one of the resorts. Christmas week was oddly calm but the week after & first week of January were something else.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's also Revenge Vacationing going right now too. That makes things even worse.

I work at one of the resorts. Christmas week was oddly calm but the week after & first week of January were something else.
The era of “revenge” travel has quietly closed. The money has dried up statistically.

But I get your point about the crowd discrepancy.
I think…many people have been scared off the “busy” weeks. So they all get the genius idea to go RIGHT AFTER 👍🏻

A very unoriginal idea. Particularly with grumpy old northeast dvc

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's also Revenge Vacationing going right now too.
Travel has approached pre-pandemic levels. There was and is no extra surge of everyone who missed a scheduled vacation all suddenly traveling at once overwhelming the tourism industry.

Revenge vacationing is not a thing, despite the data-less echo chamber of the internet saying so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom