2020 Curious Constance Trip Preparation/Report

drizgirl

Unless they've changed things, there IS an advantage to pre-purchasing. When I was there last, I did not pre-purchase Maxpass (we bought SoCal CityPasses and MaxPass wasn't an option on those at the time). We decided to get it while we were there, but they wouldn't let me buy it for all 3 days of our tickets. This meant that EVERY morning I had to wait until we entered the park, and then waste valuable park time to "pull over" and buy it. No, it didn't take that long, but long enough to annoy me. :)

BTW, we don't usually parkhop much, but we still really enjoyed MaxPass. The ability to schedule a pass for one ride while being in line for another ride was worth the price to me. It felt efficient. And anything that makes a Disney day feel efficient in those crazy crowds is a plus in my book.
Honestly, If there’s a teenager in your group just hand your phone to them and they can add it while they walk.

Curious Constance

Original Poster
Unless they've changed things, there IS an advantage to pre-purchasing. When I was there last, I did not pre-purchase Maxpass (we bought SoCal CityPasses and MaxPass wasn't an option on those at the time). We decided to get it while we were there, but they wouldn't let me buy it for all 3 days of our tickets. This meant that EVERY morning I had to wait until we entered the park, and then waste valuable park time to "pull over" and buy it. No, it didn't take that long, but long enough to annoy me. :)

BTW, we don't usually parkhop much, but we still really enjoyed MaxPass. The ability to schedule a pass for one ride while being in line for another ride was worth the price to me. It felt efficient. And anything that makes a Disney day feel efficient in those crazy crowds is a plus in my book.
I think I could pre-purchase the tickets through the Disneyland app, and then add MaxPass to however many days I want on the app itself. Can anyone confirm that?

drizgirl

I think I could pre-purchase the tickets through the Disneyland app, and then add MaxPass to however many days I want on the app itself. Can anyone confirm that?
You either buy it with MP for all days in advance or add it day by day at park open. Seriously though, it’s not that big a deal. It’s very easy to add. The only risk in my mind is that the daily price could go up at some point (pure conjecture on my part though as there are no rumors of this coming soon).

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I think the only disadvantage of getting Maxpass early is you can't back out. Some people might not be sure of their budget when they get to the parks and want to take it on a day to day basis, or on one of the days it's not too busy do you decide you don't need fastpasses, but I rarely find that to be true anymore. I say if you have the budget to do Maxpass all the days you're there, go for it!

Curious Constance

Original Poster
Question:

If I’m flying into LAX (I know, I know LAX is horrible, but it’s our only option for a direct flight in our city, so tickets are purchased) on a weekday afternoon, arriving around 1:30pm, what time can I reasonably assume we will arrive at the Disneyland resort area with traffic? And now that the Disneyland Express is no longer, what would be a reasonably priced good alternative?

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Original Poster
I purchased our park tickets today. Went with the park hoppers with Maxpass. I was worried that adding FastPass to Monsters Inc and Autopia would, in Disney’s eyes, warrant a price increase to Maxpass option. Also it’s almost certain that a price increase is coming before summer and Marvel opens anyway.

DrAlice

I purchased our park tickets today. Went with the park hoppers with Maxpass. I was worried that adding FastPass to Monsters Inc and Autopia would, in Disney’s eyes, warrant a price increase to Maxpass option. Also it’s almost certain that a price increase is coming before summer and Marvel opens anyway.
I bought our tickets last weekend and did the same, for the same reason. I'm hoping Marvel will be open by the time we get there, but I'm prepared for missing the opening. In fact, I haven't even told the 8-year-old of the possibility so that she won't be disappointed. Instead, we're putting all our hopeful thoughts toward snagging a Rise Before Dawn Boarding Group. :)

Happy Planning!

Phroobar

Question:

If I’m flying into LAX (I know, I know LAX is horrible, but it’s our only option for a direct flight in our city, so tickets are purchased) on a weekday afternoon, arriving around 1:30pm, what time can I reasonably assume we will arrive at the Disneyland resort area with traffic? And now that the Disneyland Express is no longer, what would be a reasonably priced good alternative?
My guess would be about an hour and half to two and half hours depending how fast you get out out of there. Your kind of doomed if you can't get out by 3pm

TP2000

Okay my dear lady, I've been working on this for you. Here's what I've got...

You should try and stick with a scheduled/reserved shuttle bus service, because LAX recently forced all Uber/Lyft and Taxis off the airport roadways. You now have to take a shuttle bus to the off-property Uber/Taxi lot and then find your car there. And it's been a NIGHTMARE. The process is not smooth and it wastes a lot of time getting to and from the satellite lot, and then when you get there it's a giant parking lot with multiple islands clogged with crowds and traffic and everyone hates it. It's been in the local media a lot here lately, but those outside of SoCal probably haven't heard about it. As if LAX needed more headaches and bad press, but they managed to pull it off and make it worse!

They call this process "LAX-it". Seriously. Get it? Like Brexit? Except you are trying to exit from LAX, but they won't let you.

So, whatever you do, try and aim for a dedicated Disneyland shuttle service as those buses are still allowed to pick you up at the airport itself right outside baggage claims, noted by the orange loading zones for "Shared Ride Vans/Charter Buses".

Here is the most successful one that serves LAX and Disneyland area hotels...

On a recent overseas trip, I used them by taking a Lyft from my house to the Disneyland Hotel and then boarding the Disneyland Express to LAX a half hour later. You tell the bus driver which airline you are on and he drops you off right in front, and pickups are done right outside all baggage claim zones. The trip in early afternoon took me about an hour from the Disneyland Hotel to the Bradly International Terminal. The bus was clean and modern and the service was fine, although the bus driver got on the PA and tried to start impressing the tourists with a silly Hollywood patter as we got closer to the airport in an attempt to boost his tips. :rolleyes:

I only gave him a Fiver for helping with my bags, when if he had just stayed quiet and professional I would have given him at least a 10. But for LAX nowadays, if you aren't renting a car, a reservation on a dedicated bus like Coach USA's Disneyland Express is your best bet. Just avoid taxis and Ubers because that process has devolved into anarchy and endless delays at LAX!

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Original Poster
Okay my dear lady, I've been working on this for you. Here's what I've got...

You should try and stick with a scheduled/reserved shuttle bus service, because LAX recently forced all Uber/Lyft and Taxis off the airport roadways. You now have to take a shuttle bus to the off-property Uber/Taxi lot and then find your car there. And it's been a NIGHTMARE. The process is not smooth and it wastes a lot of time getting to and from the satellite lot, and then when you get there it's a giant parking lot with multiple islands clogged with crowds and traffic and everyone hates it. It's been in the local media a lot here lately, but those outside of SoCal probably haven't heard about it. As if LAX needed more headaches and bad press, but they managed to pull it off and make it worse!

They call this process "LAX-it". Seriously. Get it? Like Brexit? Except you are trying to exit from LAX, but they won't let you.

So, whatever you do, try and aim for a dedicated Disneyland shuttle service as those buses are still allowed to pick you up at the airport itself right outside baggage claims, noted by the orange loading zones for "Shared Ride Vans/Charter Buses".

Here is the most successful one that serves LAX and Disneyland area hotels...

On a recent overseas trip, I used them by taking a Lyft from my house to the Disneyland Hotel and then boarding the Disneyland Express to LAX a half hour later. You tell the bus driver which airline you are on and he drops you off right in front, and pickups are done right outside all baggage claim zones. The trip in early afternoon took me about an hour from the Disneyland Hotel to the Bradly International Terminal. The bus was clean and modern and the service was fine, although the bus driver got on the PA and tried to start impressing the tourists with a silly Hollywood patter as we got closer to the airport in an attempt to boost his tips. :rolleyes:

I only gave him a Fiver for helping with my bags, when if he had just stayed quiet and professional I would have given him at least a 10. But for LAX nowadays, if you aren't renting a car, a reservation on a dedicated bus like Coach USA's Disneyland Express is your best bet. Just avoid taxis and Ubers because that process has devolved into anarchy and endless delays at LAX!
Wow, thank you so much for the Uber tip! We would have been standing outside of baggage trying to figure out where to meet the Uber driver! 😩

I’ll have to find another shuttle provider though cuz the Disneyland express closed in January:(

We used them several times before too. Maybe Supershuttle???

TP2000

I’ll have to find another shuttle provider though cuz the Disneyland express closed in January:(

We used them several times before too. Maybe Supershuttle???

You're kidding!?.... Oh, you aren't kidding. Wow.

I have more bad news. Supershuttle closed for good on December 31st.

But this shuttle service still exists and gets good reviews. https://www.karmel.com/

Whatever you do, avoid an outfit called Mickey's Space Ship Shuttle, because their vans look like something from a bad action movie where the family gets kidnapped in the first 20 minutes. But their website is HYSTERICAL! Comedy Gold for a fun Saturday night!

It looks like their web designer retired in about 2004 and locked out their password, and they spend a great deal of time making fun of the now defunct Disneyland Express, with horrific pictures of bus fires and human drama on the freeways and byways of SoCal. https://mickeysairportbus.com/mickeysairportbus.com/page_1,mickeys_info_&_mini-blog.html

Here's a few of my favorite photos from their hysterical website, with their own captions quoted which plays up the apparent fact that their decades-old vans are much safer than new buses.

CIMG0608.jpg

"We compete with gray line, here’s 4 buses broken down & burnt for them. which is safer? Them or us? Vans are safer by far they are VANTASTIC!"

100_1680.jpg

"7:30 am Orange Wood and Harbor another fire from one of the Gray Line buses. Cause unknown to date. The Anaheim Fire Department had it out in 4 hours. Possible gas tank danger. A new bus has new problems that are a mystery, old ones have solved them. Go Mickey’s! Safe as milk. not chinese milk. "

bus.b.large.jpg

"This is the Disneyland Express bus that caught fire on the way to LAX airport all luggage was lost !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (I didn't add a single exclamation point, that is all them.)

But, if you do go with Mickey's Super Space Ship Shuttle, everyone in your van does have a chance to meet Jay Leno.
101_1483.jpg

"Some times we go on tours to the stars on stage, here’s Jay Leno with Mickey’s Tours. The funniest man in the world with the funniest cars in the world, thanks Jay your the best!"

So there you go. Enjoy your Vantastic vacation! 😱

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
Hmm. My sister didn't want to rent a car for the Disneyland part of our trip so we were planning on taking a Lyft to our hotel. I was hoping the Lyft / Uber situation was better by now. I am mulling over giving Karmel a try. Thank you for the suggestion @TP2000

Darkbeer1

I like Prime Time Shuttle.

I prefer the Town Car service. Met at Luggage pickup.

Alas, I am using LAX in June, using miles and got Business Class nonstop to Cleveland.

TP2000

Once I saw this exact company (old man) trying to trick people at the LAX shuttle pick up area into thinking he was the official Disney shuttle.

Some people were about to get on when another passerby told them that he was a scam and not the official Disney bus. At this point the guy started screaming curse words and proceeded to drive away.

That story is Vantastic!

But not quite as Vantastic as these photos of Gray Line tour bus seats burnt to a crisp that I found on the Mickey's Space Ship Shuttle website, whose passengers should have booked a van with Mickey's Space Ship Shuttle instead.

101_0426.jpg

101_0423.jpg

"This is the airport disneyland express bus of gray line’s to LAX. Our tours are magnificent, big look at Los Angeles area, stay with our vans and stay away from swine flu, with only you on board, not with 48 persons and children screaming all day as you are told, if you do not come back in time, we leave you to take a $100 cab back."

Phroobar

It looks like their web designer retired in about 2004 and locked out their password, and they spend a great deal of time making fun of the now defunct Disneyland Express, with horrific pictures of bus fires and human drama on the freeways and byways of SoCal. https://mickeysairportbus.com/mickeysairportbus.com/page_1,mickeys_info_&_mini-blog.html

It's entirely html 1.0 cira 1994. I didn't know those kind of sites still exist. It should be fairly easy to hack if someone wanted too.
On Chrome press ctrl/shift-I for the debugger and enjoy the div tags.

Kiwiduck

I’ve taken the Disneyland express bus many times and have never been burnt to a crisp or gotten the swine flu. I’m bummed that its shut down. And what’s with making it so hard to catch an Uber? l‘lol follow along here to see if people have any good transportation suggestions..

TP2000

The guy seems like he has serious issues. The website is one of the weirdest things I've seen. It isn't even divided into multiple pages and is the longest single web page I've ever viewed.

I know, isn't it wonderful?! I became obsessed with that website and clicked through all of the pages and did dramatic readings of all of his ramblings. It's hysterical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom