2020 Curious Constance Trip Preparation/Report

Curious Constance

Original Poster
Been out of the loop for awhile, and I will likely have a million questions between now and June, and in the interest of not wanting to hijack all the other threads, I’m starting this up to give me a spot to ask without doing so and to give me one thread to refer back to.

First questions.

Does doing one park per day tickets negate some of the benefit of having max pass? I definitely want Maxpass, right? Any good reading resources to read about how to get all I can out of it? Tips tricks you want to share?

Phroobar

Sorry to put such a strain on your day there, bud. I simply mean if I choose to purchase one park per day tickets, as opposed to park hopper tickets, is it still beneficial to have MaxPass or at that point is it a wash since we will only be in one park for the day.
I'd still buy the maxpass. It will at least save you from running around to get FPs and you get pictures to share with us later.

DanielBB8

Sorry to put such a strain on your day there, bud. I simply mean if I choose to purchase one park per day tickets, as opposed to park hopper tickets, is it still beneficial to have MaxPass or at that point is it a wash since we will only be in one park for the day.
Park hopping will negate not having Maxpass if you are happy to avoid rides that have long lines and you can’t get a Fastpass. Just go to the other park. But going to one park per day means you can devote the whole day to getting it done and you will.

TP2000

Does doing one park per day tickets negate some of the benefit of having max pass? I definitely want Maxpass, right? Any good reading resources to read about how to get all I can out of it? Tips tricks you want to share?

June is generally busy but not crazy-busy. Maxpass is a wise investment for that time of year.

And because there are enough big E Tickets in even DCA to warrant its use, I would buy it for the day you are in DCA. I'm assuming here your family will want to ride Guardians of the Galaxy, Soarin', Racers, Grizzly River Run, Midway Mania, and Chase-A-Baby. If only one or two of those Fastpass rides is on your DCA itinerary, then maybe Maxpass isn't worth it. But if at least four of those rides are on your DCA itinerary, then definitely get Maxpass for your DCA day.

Across the way at Disneyland, Maxpass is a wise investment almost any time of the year owing to the simple fact that Disneyland has the most rides (45!) and the most E Tickets (13 big E Tickets in one little locals-only theme park!).

Buying Maxpass for a full day spent at Disneyland is a must, with the exception of rainy weekdays in January or the infamous Summer of 2019 when they opened Star Wars Land to crickets and I rode Millennium Falcon: Target Run three times in one evening with only a 10 to 15 minute wait.

TP2000

I should add, from my experience during visits in 2019, the DCA rides run out of Fastpass for the day in this order;

Radiator Racers (your first priority for Fastpasses always!)
Midway Mania
Guardians of the Galaxy
Soarin' Over Things
Grizzly River Run
(assuming it's typical June weather in Anaheim of morning beach fog and 75ish degrees)
Chase-A-Baby
Goofy's Sky School

That should help inform your itinerary planning for your DCA day, and prioritize which rides to Maxpass first. Although it's easy to see on the App which rides still have Fastpasses for what time, so you can just follow along that way too.

TP2000

And another thing, because you could never put a strain on my day Constance, try to avoid the Grad Nite days if you can.

DCA closes early at 9pm those days, and both parks have an extra 10,000 rowdy teenagers running around in them those days "before they embark on their new adventures!". (Seriously, who writes that crap?)

The June Grad Nite dates are; June 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 12, or 13th.

Curious Constance

Original Poster
We will be there late June for five days, so we will miss all grad nights! Also the best bang for the buck for APers being blocked out too! And I checked the schedule at the convention center and nothing is scheduled during our trip. I had planned on going the week before but VidCon was going on and the thought of all those YouTube people descending on the park was enough to make me promptly choose another week!!! How horrific! To be honest, at the end of the day I’ll most likely choose park hopers and Maxpass for the full five days cause, I mean we only go every 2-3 years, might as well do it right.

Curious Constance

Original Poster
Only get Maxpass if you're there early enough in the morning for it to be beneficial. If you show up in the afternoon, most good rides will be just about gone- so you won't get nearly as much value out of it.
We are there usually about ten minutes before park opening. But not much before that but rarely after that. I love the early morning hours!!!

Phroobar

Constance are you going to do anything special during this trip to Disneyland? I was thinking this might be the last time that your kids care about Disneyland before becoming "teenagers".

Curious Constance

Original Poster
Constance are you going to do anything special during this trip to Disneyland? I was thinking this might be the last time that your kids care about Disneyland before becoming "teenagers".

I’ll have a 16 year old and 12 year old on the trip. And they’re related to me, so it’s unlikely they will stop enjoying the trips. ;) BUT it could potentially be the last trip my teen takes as a child, or *gasp* with me.😭

Both kids have expressed an interest in going from opening until closing with no mid afternoon break at the hotel, that would be a first!!!

Curious Constance

Original Poster
I was just reading about MaxPass on the Disneyland App, and I’d almost forgotten that the PhotoPass bonus includes ride photos! That’s fun! I’m assuming it doesn’t include photos taken by Disney photographers at restaurants like Goofy’s Kitchen, right? (When you first go in, they make you line up for a pic with Goofy before you’re seated.)

vancee

And another thing, because you could never put a strain on my day Constance, try to avoid the Grad Nite days if you can.
God. @TP2000 is too damn sweet.. I love reading his posts 😍.

For Maxpass, I'd recommend you get it if you're willing to spend the extra money for it. Really does make a relaxing trip, especially if you get all the high wait time rides done for first. If you don't want to do that, then you could also go and knock out all the big rides when the park opens. I like to sleep in, so that's a no for me.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It would depend on the day and what attraction you want to ride that has a long queue on said day.

Curious Constance

Original Poster
It would depend on the day and what attraction you want to ride that has a long queue on said day.
It doesn’t look like prepurchasing the Maxpass has any benefits, so I think I’ll probably buy the park hoppers without the Maxpass, then add it on to 4 of the five days after the fact since we won’t be there till afternoon on the first day.

mickEblu

Been out of the loop for awhile, and I will likely have a million questions between now and June, and in the interest of not wanting to hijack all the other threads, I’m starting this up to give me a spot to ask without doing so and to give me one thread to refer back to.

First questions.

MaxPass is much less of a benefit when you are not park hopping. With that said it’s still makes things more convenient so that you do not have to make the day a relay race of getting FPs and instead you can go with the flow. I don’t really have any MaxPass tricks as I’ve only used it like twice and didn’t really enjoy it because I was with a large group of non APs with one day parkhoppers. Not sure if that’s MaxPass’s fault or the pressure of getting this large group on all of their faves across two parks in 9 hours. With that said my face was buried in my phone more than I cared for. The funny thing is it can still become a lot of running around if you don’t pace yourself. Instead of walking to get the fast passes you end up zig zagging across the parks to all your FP return items in the late afternoon/ evening that you accumulated all day.

In your case I say get it. You re already paying a good amount for the trip I assume so another $120 (2 days?) to make the trip more relaxing and enjoyable is well worth it. Even if you are going for more than 2 days you don’t need to buy MaxPass for all the days. Maybe just the first day in each park.

They key is pacing yourself. That shouldn’t be a problem since you are staying multiple days and are not a newbie. I know people like to plan out the whole morning (Or day) with FPs but I feel that just gets one in “checklist” mode where the next ride is just a means to an end. Make sense for newbies who have absolutely have to get on something but my planning usually stops after grabbing the FP or two that run out the quickest.

Last edited:

DrAlice

It doesn’t look like prepurchasing the Maxpass has any benefits, so I think I’ll probably buy the park hoppers without the Maxpass, then add it on to 4 of the five days after the fact since we won’t be there till afternoon on the first day.
Unless they've changed things, there IS an advantage to pre-purchasing. When I was there last, I did not pre-purchase Maxpass (we bought SoCal CityPasses and MaxPass wasn't an option on those at the time). We decided to get it while we were there, but they wouldn't let me buy it for all 3 days of our tickets. This meant that EVERY morning I had to wait until we entered the park, and then waste valuable park time to "pull over" and buy it. No, it didn't take that long, but long enough to annoy me. :)

BTW, we don't usually parkhop much, but we still really enjoyed MaxPass. The ability to schedule a pass for one ride while being in line for another ride was worth the price to me. It felt efficient. And anything that makes a Disney day feel efficient in those crazy crowds is a plus in my book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom