2020 Box Office Tracking

jt04

Looks like RoS will pass 500 million domestic this weekend. Not up to expectations but also not a flop by any means. Only the 14th film to hit the milestone I think.

Star Wars on screen epics should push towards a billion though. IMO.

Tony Perkis

Looks like RoS will pass 500 million domestic this weekend. Not up to expectations but also not a flop by any means. Only the 14th film to hit the milestone I think.

Star Wars on screen epics should push towards a billion though. IMO.
That’s a ridiculous expectation. No film has ever hit a billion domestically, and its pretty clear that TFA, falling short, was lightening in a bottle.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
(I think I've recovered from the week+ long Superb Owl stuff? It's one of my busiest weeks because every event is taking place at the exact same time.)

Still not much movement in our lists. With Warner Bros's Harley Quinn ... er ... Birds of Prey they should be moving up the list. Not likely enough to pop it up more than a ranking with the 50m weekend estimation of BoP but with it's lack of new competition it may lean closer to Bad Boys for Life's 62.5m opening.

With the Oscars also coming up this Sunday some awards consideration movies still playing may see some additional boosts. While a win is not quite the boost it may have been in years past, anything that highlights a movie tends to garner it some extra dollars.

jt04

FYI.

Star Wars and Frozen combined just crossed 2.5 Billion dollars globally. Not bad.

I'm sure if Disney had been promised this number back in October they would have been very pleased. What a year!

brodie999

Here are my predictions on how much money Black Widow and The Eternals will make.

Black Widow -$1.1-4 Billion.

The Eternals $700-850 million.

I think BW will become the 10th $1 billion movie for Marvel because Scarlet Johansson's more marketable and well-known than Chadwick Boseman and Black Widow's become overwhelmingly popular over the past 10 years.

seascape

I agree with Disney on not reporting the box office numbers. If anyone looked at rhe numbers and tried to judge any 2020 movie against any other year it would be unfair and unreasonable. I enjoyed Onward. It was not the best Pixar movie ever but it was a good one and Disney is giving it tovus early. What Disney is doing is trying to give those of us stuck inside some Entertainment. I say thank you. I know Onward will not be as profitable as it could have been but it is profitable and will help with Disney Plus in Europe and India.

Tony Perkis

Ripken10

I thought this article summed up a bunch of the changes well:

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
This thread has been cleaned up to reflect the currently expected release dates for 2020 and removed the titles delayed to 2021, canceled, or moved to non-theater platforms. As with everything right now: these dates may change drastically.

Some theaters are considering reopening, along with drive-ins. No word on how or when studios will be reporting their box office. I'll continue updates once there is anything to report.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom