2020 Box Office Tracking

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Welcome to the Box Office tracking thread for 2020!

Here you'll find the domestic box office information for all the Disney released moves, including Fox, Marvel Studios, Pixar, and Lucasfilm. This first post contains the general Top lists and the upcoming wide release movie schedule. The post below contains the full tracking of the releases. The third post will also contain a more detailed breakdown of the sub-studios under Disney.

Please feel free to chime in with your box office predictions!

Current note: (5/22) This thread has been cleaned up to reflect the currently expected release dates for 2020 and removed the titles delayed to 2021, canceled, or moved to non-theater platforms. As with everything right now: these dates may change drastically. Some theaters are considering reopening, along with drive-ins. No word on how or when studios will be reporting their box office.

Old notes:
(3/20) As most releases have been delayed and many theaters are closed, studios have stopped reporting their box office. The last final numbers were reported on 3/19.
(1/1) We're still in Star Wars season. So this is a quick reminder that this topic is for talking about box office only. Please be kind and take spoiler talk, opinions, or other discussions to their appropriate place.

____
Last Updated: May 22nd
Numbers: Mar 19th finals

Domestic Top 5 Studios:
  1. Sony - 462.9m
  2. Disney - 383.0m
  3. Universal - 346.8m
  4. Paramount - 173.9m
  5. Warner Bros. - 139.9m

Domestic Top 10 Movies:
  1. Bad Boys For Life - 204.4m (final)
  2. 1917 - 157.9m (final)
  3. Sonic the Hedgehog - 146.0m (final)
  4. Jumanji: The Next Level - 124.7m (final)
  5. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - 124.4m (final)
  6. Birds of Prey - 84.1m (final)
  7. Dolittle - 77.0m (final)
  8. Little Women - 70.5m (final)
  9. The Invisible Man - 64.9m (final)
  10. Call of the Wild - 62.3m (final)

Upcoming(?) Wide Releases:
  • July 1st - Unhinged
  • July 17th - Tenet
  • July 24th - Mulan

Last edited:

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster

Disney Total

Domestic hold overs:
  • Maleficent: Mistress of Evil - 634.8k (final)
  • Jojo Rabbit - 12.3m (final)
  • Ford v. Ferrari - 10.4m (final)
  • Frozen 2 - 47.2m (final)
  • A Hidden Life - 853.0k (final)
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - 124.4m (final)
  • Spies in Disguise - 37.4m (final)
2020 Releases:
  • Underwater - 17.2m (final)
  • Downhill - 8.2m (final)
  • Call of the Wild - 62.3m (final)
  • Wendy - 143.5k (final)
  • Onward - 61.5m (final)
Total: 383.0m

Last edited:

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster

Sub-studio Breakdown

Disney - $ 47,863,764

• Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (10/18/19) - $ 632,812 (final)
  • Frozen 2 (11/22/19) - $ 47,228,896 (final)
  • Mulan (7/24)
  • The One and Only Ivan (8/14)
  • The Beatles: Get Back (9/4)

20th Century Studios - $ 127,494,684
  • Ford v. Ferrari (11/15/19) - $ 10,427,913 (final)
  • Spies in Disguise (12/25/19) - $ 37,433,325 (final)
  • Underwater (1/10) - $ 17,291,078 (final)
  • Call of the Wild (2/21) - $ 62,342,368 (final)
  • The Empty Man (8/7)
  • The New Mutants (8/28)
  • The King’s Man (9/18)
  • Death on the Nile (10/9)
  • Everybody’s Talking About Jamie (10/23)
  • Free Guy (12/11)
  • West Side Story (12/18)
  • The Last Duel (12/25)

Marvel Studios - $ 0
  • Black Widow (11/6)

Pixar - $ 61,555,145
  • Onward (3/6) - $ 61,555,145 (final)
  • Soul (11/20)

Searchlight - $ 21,594,806
  • Jojo Rabbit (10/18/19) - $ 12,311,180 (final)
  • A Hidden Life (12/13/19) - $ 853,047 (final)
  • Downhill (2/14) - $ 8,287,061
  • Wendy (2/28) - $ 143,518
  • The French Dispatch (10/16)

Lucasfilm - $ 124,496,308
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19) - $ 124,496,308 (final)

Last edited:

seascape

Welcome to the Box Office tracking thread for 2020!

Here you'll find the domestic box office information for all the Disney released moves, including Fox, Marvel Studios, Pixar, and Lucasfilm. This first post contains the general Top lists and the upcoming wide release movie schedule. The post below contains the full tracking of the releases. The third post will also contain a more detailed breakdown of the sub-studios under Disney.

Please feel free to chime in with your box office predictions!

Current note (1/1): We're still in Star Wars season. So this is a quick reminder that this topic is for talking about box office only. Please be kind and take spoiler talk, opinions, or other discussions to their appropriate place.

____
Last Updated: Jan 1st
Numbers: None yet!

Domestic Top 10 Studios:
  1. (place holder)
  2. (place holder)
  3. (place holder)
  4. (place holder)
  5. (place holder)
  6. (place holder)
  7. (place holder)
  8. (place holder)
  9. (place holder)
  10. (place holder)

Domestic Top 10 Movies:
  1. (place holder)
  2. (place holder)
  3. (place holder)
  4. (place holder)
  5. (place holder)
  6. (place holder)
  7. (place holder)
  8. (place holder)
  9. (place holder)
  10. (place holder)

Upcoming Wide Releases:
  • Jan 3rd - The Grudge
  • Jan 10th - 1917, Just Mercy, Like a Boss, Underwater
  • Jan 17th - Bad Boys For Life, Dolittle, The Last Full Measure
  • Jan 24th - Run, The Turning
  • Jan 31st - Gretel & Hansel, The Rhythm Section
I have to think alot about how Disney will do this year. To their advantage Fox was so bad in 2019, it will be easy to crush their pathetic numbers and may do well enough to cover Disney's drop. Also the legs of their carry over movies may allow them to come close to this years numbers, over 4 billion domestically.

Darkprime

I think this year will be a bit of a letdown for Disney compared to 2019. They should have held some back for this year. Lion King could have easily been bumped to Q1 this year.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
I have to think alot about how Disney will do this year. To their advantage Fox was so bad in 2019, it will be easy to crush their pathetic numbers and may do well enough to cover Disney's drop. Also the legs of their carry over movies may allow them to come close to this years numbers, over 4 billion domestically.
I think this year will be a bit of a letdown for Disney compared to 2019. They should have held some back for this year. Lion King could have easily been bumped to Q1 this year.

Yeah ... this year is gonna be a bit of a trip. I really don't know how some of these are going to shake out. While as a collective they have a larger and more diverse slate of movies this year, with many potential hits or surprise breakouts, there are a lot more question marks. I can't help but brace for a lower box office year. Then I look at the extremes on both ends and can see a build to another crazy year or a complete tank out in equal likelihood. 🤷‍♀️

Darkprime

A lower box office year for Disney will probably do the industry some good its not good when 40% of the box office comes from one studio. I actually think Warner Bros has a pretty stellar lineup this year.

Darkprime

Yeah ... this year is gonna be a bit of a trip. I really don't know how some of these are going to shake out. While as a collective they have a larger and more diverse slate of movies this year, with many potential hits or surprise breakouts, there are a lot more question marks. I can't help but brace for a lower box office year. Then I look at the extremes on both ends and can see a build to another crazy year or a complete tank out in equal likelihood. 🤷‍♀️

I think a large part of it will depend on how the Fox slate performs. If Fox films continue to tank I would start worrying about the future of the studio and whether or not the Fox brand will continue to exist under Disney. If things get that bad I could see Disney stripping it of its IPs and sell of studio to a Netflix or Amazon.

jt04

I think a large part of it will depend on how the Fox slate performs. If Fox films continue to tank I would start worrying about the future of the studio and whether or not the Fox brand will continue to exist under Disney. If things get that bad I could see Disney stripping it of its IPs and sell of studio to a Netflix or Amazon.

The 20th Century logo is gold. Disney needs a film division that offers more mature fare without the mistakes made with miramax. They can't forget they are recognized first and foremost as a family entertainment business. Mature content doesn't have to mean gratuitous and offensive. Most of the studios already have that market cornered anyway.

The studio can be as lucrative at the box office and Disney+ as any of the other studios Disney owns. IMO.

jt04

They would likely sell or lease IPs to the highest bidder before they sell the studio.

I think they will take the same approach as before. Fewer releases but higher quality. It will take a year or two to retool though IMO.

Disney is in position to release 12 quality films a year with the addition of 20th Century Fox.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
The 2020 box office season got off to a slight rocky start with the first wide release of the year The Grudge getting a F Cinema; however horror movies are not as beholden to bad ratings as many other genres. Off only a 10m budget it's expected to be more than profitable.

Indy_UK

I’m guessing JoJo Rabbit hasn’t performed as expected? I’m still planning to go and see it. Didn’t come out here in the UK until New Years Day but it’s been advertised like mad

LSLS

There is a very real possibility that Rise of Skywalker will not be in the top 5 box office draws for the year (think it's all but guaranteed to not hit top 3). Just shocking to me.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
There is a very real possibility that Rise of Skywalker will not be in the top 5 box office draws for the year (think it's all but guaranteed to not hit top 3). Just shocking to me.
The more recent Star Wars movies have a bit of a disadvantage by releasing so late in the year. Which by traditional terms ends up splitting their box office between 2 years. Take The Force Awakens for example; even though it is still the largest domestic box office of all time and had a record breaking opening weekend it was still only #2 in 2015. Where as The Last Jedi, which released with nearly a week of extra time in the year did manage to capture the #1 spot for 2017 despite making noticeably less that The Force Awakens.

Now if you want to take the other approach that many reporting places use of going by release year rather that box office year, then Rise of Skywalker is already at #3 of the 2019 releases. It's not totally outside the math yet to overtake Lion King's 89m lead on it to take the #2 spot, it's just not terribly likely to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom