2019 NCAA Football Thread - College Gameday is Live from Mainstreet Train Station!!

21stamps

As a side note, here’s what my 9 year old said after LSU’s win-

“Mom, don’t get your hopes up about the Bengals picking Joe. They’re not smart enough. They’ll make a stupid choice in the draft.”

Captain Barbossa

One thing that we can all agree on is that this was probably a tough one for Kirk to call.
F6D60376-E156-4FEE-93F4-922A9739AAEA.jpeg

Captain Barbossa

He does. But it makes me sad that at 9 he’s already given up hope for his NFL team. Lol.
Well at least he’s not a Browns fan. I’d rather be a fan of a 1-14 Bengals team than a fan of the fighting Baker Mayfields any day of the week lol.

What a photo. I will say that it’s kind of refreshing to see kids taking their own path.
Couldn’t agree more. I remember when Gameday was here for the opener against GT and they zoomed in on both Tye and Jake. Kirk about got choked up.

21stamps

This is a good article, especially the line I’m quoting, basically stating what I said last night. Can’t lay this on the officials, and I don’t want to see any Buckeye fans using that excuse... but the call should spark legit debate about the process of reversing a call on the field.

Clemson advances to play No. 1 LSU in New Orleans in the national title game on Jan. 13, and a victory in that game will have the Tigers poised to be one of the most dominant teams of this or any generation. And however history views this Clemson dynasty, the documentarians will surely spend more time deconstructing this Ohio State game than any other amid their 29-game, two-season run of dominance.

There’s a lot to unpack from the Fiesta Bowl on Saturday night, as the official accounts will require footnotes, sworn statements from officials and an annotated history of the two most vexing and inconstant calls in the recent history of football – targeting and the catch rule. “This,” Day said, “was a very strange game.”

To solely blame the officials would be naïve, as five of Ohio State’s trips inside the opposing 25-yard line ended in three field goals, one touchdown and Fields’ game sealing interception. J.K. Dobbins dropped two touchdown passes, Justin Fields threw two interceptions and Ohio State penalties (8 for 77 yards) extended two Clemson drives that ended in touchdowns. Ohio State’s defense also yielded a 94-yard, game-winning drive that lasted just four plays and took 1:18.

But to ignore the officials would be equally naïve, especially considering the potential impact of a Jordan Fuller touchdown return that replay officials wiped off the board with nearly five minutes remaining in the third quarter. The Fuller scoop and score after Jeff Okudah stripped Clemson’s Justyn Ross was a difficult call, as Ross appeared to control the ball and take multiple steps. But he never nestled the ball into his body, and officials ruled he “did not complete the process of the catch.” (Cue the extistential NFL debate about what a catch really is.)

Veteran NFL official and collegiate officiating administrator Terry McAulay led the chorus on Twitter of those second-guessing the officials for overturning the Ohio State touchdown. “There is absolutely no way replay should have reversed,” he said. “’Indisputable video evidence’ is simply not there.”

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith agreed, texting Yahoo Sports that McAulay was “100% correct.” He added: “Unreal!! And feel free to share how ed I am.” [Smith said he didn’t ask for an explanation.]

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
This is a good article, especially the line I’m quoting, basically stating what I said last night. Can’t lay this on the officials, and I don’t want to see any Buckeye fans using that excuse... but the call should spark legit debate about the process of reversing a call on the field.

Clemson advances to play No. 1 LSU in New Orleans in the national title game on Jan. 13, and a victory in that game will have the Tigers poised to be one of the most dominant teams of this or any generation. And however history views this Clemson dynasty, the documentarians will surely spend more time deconstructing this Ohio State game than any other amid their 29-game, two-season run of dominance.

There’s a lot to unpack from the Fiesta Bowl on Saturday night, as the official accounts will require footnotes, sworn statements from officials and an annotated history of the two most vexing and inconstant calls in the recent history of football – targeting and the catch rule. “This,” Day said, “was a very strange game.”

To solely blame the officials would be naïve, as five of Ohio State’s trips inside the opposing 25-yard line ended in three field goals, one touchdown and Fields’ game sealing interception. J.K. Dobbins dropped two touchdown passes, Justin Fields threw two interceptions and Ohio State penalties (8 for 77 yards) extended two Clemson drives that ended in touchdowns. Ohio State’s defense also yielded a 94-yard, game-winning drive that lasted just four plays and took 1:18.

But to ignore the officials would be equally naïve, especially considering the potential impact of a Jordan Fuller touchdown return that replay officials wiped off the board with nearly five minutes remaining in the third quarter. The Fuller scoop and score after Jeff Okudah stripped Clemson’s Justyn Ross was a difficult call, as Ross appeared to control the ball and take multiple steps. But he never nestled the ball into his body, and officials ruled he “did not complete the process of the catch.” (Cue the extistential NFL debate about what a catch really is.)

Veteran NFL official and collegiate officiating administrator Terry McAulay led the chorus on Twitter of those second-guessing the officials for overturning the Ohio State touchdown. “There is absolutely no way replay should have reversed,” he said. “’Indisputable video evidence’ is simply not there.”

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith agreed, texting Yahoo Sports that McAulay was “100% correct.” He added: “Unreal!! And feel free to share how ****ed I am.” [Smith said he didn’t ask for an explanation.]

Most close games have a play like that.....bad call, no call, review being upheld, or overturned, etc....

Bama was 1 second away from a three-peat....without the pick play (worst case that game would have went to overtime)

NEVER GET USED TO OR ACCEPT LOSING....or move to Georgia and you'll have plenty of company....and have to live with the border states having won 10 out of the last 11 National Championships (only OSU in '14 did not border Georgia)

P.S. Clemson is borderline no longer being the darling. If they can keep the coaching staff together and keep winning Dabo won't be able to get away with the "slow redneck" Bobby Bowden routine much longer. Being from Bama he cashes in on it as needed.........Gee willikers what a dynasty

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
And kicking field goals in the red zone instead of scoring TDs doesn’t help either.
Bama knew that wouldn't work last year, hence twice early in the 2nd half they went for it on 4th down in the Red Zone vs kicking the field goal(s). Final score could have been closer....Like 44-22 (if they actually made the two field goals and Dabo called off the horses)

21stamps

View attachment 437971

And kicking field goals in the red zone instead of scoring TDs doesn’t help either. OSU fans are doing what they do best. (This is not directed at you @21stamps by any means)

The reversed touchdown was a horrible call.. it’s not just OSU fans saying that. It was clearly the wrong call to make.

That said, I think OSU made several mistakes which cost them the game, it should have never been close enough for a call like that to matter. I do believe that they were/are the better team, but their own valid penalties are what did them in, more than anything else.

21stamps

I think no matter if someone’s favored team is on the good end of a bad call, we should all be concerned about them. Clear, fair, legit calls should be a priority for the NCAA and NFL. Refs should have to answer questions when calls are inconsistent with the rules.

John park hopper

I'm curious how the play review process works. A play under review in the case of the reversed touch down of Ohio. Is it one individual that reviews the play or a group who come to a play decision?

Captain Barbossa

I haven’t really given my 2 cents on Justyn’s catch, but I understand why they reversed the call. And no, it has nothing to do with the fact that I’m a Clemson fan. As the “rules expert” said, in order for the play to be ruled as a catch, not only does the receiver have to maintain the ball, but he has to perform a “football move” as well. (In this case, turn up field) Justyn did not perform any type of “football move”, so therefore the catch was not completed. However, I will admit that the term “football move” is somewhat unclear. (There are some aspects of it that I don’t completely understand.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom