2019 Box Office tracking

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, how's our adopted child doing (aside from Dark Phoenix)?

I'd call that "mixed, but still a loss."

Anyone think Cameron's gonna get Disney to greenlight Alita 2?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
And how's Disney Studios doing (and comparing it with current competition)...

So, Aladdin is also a "mix", but a mix that has turned a profit, unlike the six DS movies preceding it.

And the bottom chart shows that no one really wanted more LEGOs or Pets. Godzilla has a really tough road to break even with so high a budget.

jt04

And how's Disney Studios doing (and comparing it with current competition)...

View attachment 380224

So, Aladdin is also a "mix", but a mix that has turned a profit, unlike the six DS movies preceding it.

And the bottom chart shows that no one really wanted more LEGOs or Pets. Godzilla has a really tough road to break even with so high a budget.

It would be interesting to see a table of Disney live action remakes after the Aladdin and Lion King runs. Especially a grand total line at the bottom of the chart. Aladdin will see a hefty profit. Lion King is looking massive.

PS TLK is July 2019 😉

Indy_UK

I’m guessing $1 billion between Dumbo and Aladdin isn’t too disastrous. Nowhere near what Disney wanted but least they’ve not last money?

Lion King will probably do $1 billion too

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I’m guessing $1 billion between Dumbo and Aladdin isn’t too disastrous. Nowhere near what Disney wanted but least they’ve not last money?

Lion King will probably do $1 billion too

Adding one movie's profit to one that didn't make profit doesn't mean one can say "Hey, their movies make a profit." That's a tad misleading. For Disney Studios, some do. Most don't.*

Certainly, in the end, all their movies combined make a huge profit... despite the ones that lost them money.

Also, their giant BO means nothing if it's all gobbled up by a giant budgets, which is the leading cause of specific movies not making a profit.

*In the theatrical window, excluding post-theatrical windows and merch.

seascape

Year to date Disney is now at $5.3 billion and only $2.3 billion away from their prior record worldwide box office total of $7.61 billion. With what is left for Aladdin, Endgame and a few hundred thousand more from Captain Marvel and Dumbo, it looks like the record will go down during Lion Kings run. It could even happen in July.

khlaylav

Yes, they can.

To hide the failures. ;)
I mean, not that I'm an Aladdin 2019 stan by any stretch of the imagination (I still haven't seen it and probably won't), but it's passed the original and is one of the more successful live-action "reimaginings." Which, tangent by the way, is such a stupid name Box Office Mojo THEY'RE REMAKES
Anyways. So it's doing better than I thought, considering just how awful it looked in the trailers.

erasure fan1

Anyways. So it's doing better than I thought, considering just how awful it looked in the trailers.
I figured it would do well, just as I believe lion king will. I hoped they would do poor, but it's way to low hanging fruit to not succeed. There are just way too many people who love those movies for them not to succeed. When the little Mermaid comes out it will be the same thing.

BrianLo

*In the theatrical window, excluding post-theatrical windows and merch.

Which bears repeating. Post theatrically 5 broke even/turned profit and two: Wrinkle and Nutcracker (probably soon to be three: Dumbo) did not.

It’s still a meh batting average and they hope to make more than that.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Which bears repeating. Post theatrically 5 broke even/turned profit and two: Wrinkle and Nutcracker (probably soon to be three: Dumbo) did not.

It’s still a meh batting average and they hope to make more than that.

Do you have a source for that? Nutcracker has *a lot* to make up for in the after-market to break even.

BrianLo

Do you have a source for that? Nutcracker has *a lot* to make up for in the after-market to break even.

Sorry Nutcracker (and Wrinkle) DID NOT break even, nor will they ever.

End P&A is underestimated by 50-150 million consistently in your estimates (but they only capture theatrical not post, so of course it under estimates). I think I listed all the movies for you a few months back from what I sourced from deadline.

Obviously it makes sense that theatrically if a movie gets very close to break even (like Pirates or Christopher Robin), it didn’t suddenly lose ground in the post-theatrical market.

There is no great way of estimating that (I’m sure some such percentage of box office would translate), but a gap under 50 seems a very reasonable assumption. Out of the 20 odd movies we had better data for only Winter Soldier I think was an overestimation.

We sure as heck know Wreck it Ralph (the original) didn’t lose money.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The competition's having a hard go, though, Rocketman turned profitable in the theatrical window this weekend...

MiB:International... ouch. Not loved by critics nor the general audience. Don't think Universal will create MiB Land any time soon.

Compare that to Aladdin which was not liked by critics, but, the audience liked it and has pushed its box office past the Cinderella remake and closing in on the Jungle Book remake...

Another owie...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom