2019 Box Office tracking

Princess Leia

Aladdin (May 24th) - This one might be the canary in the coal mine of the year ... er ... parrot in the cave ... ? This will be the 9th in the line of Disney's modern "live action" takes of classic properties, and the 2nd of 3 for 2019. While the first looks for this movie have been mixed at best, reactions over a month out often don't hold as much sway as those closer to release. Time will tell if opinions soften with more exposure. Aladdin is reasonably well loved, but nowhere near the levels of it's contemporaries Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. There's not any proper tracking on it yet so the field is pretty open.

A good showing for Aladdin could prime the way for later movies to over perform; a bad showing could effect moods on those later movies. Honestly ... Aladdin is not in a great release window to begin with. Family friendly competition Detective Pikachu will be in it's 3rd weekend but late May/Memorial Day weekend can be a death match for movies. For the weekend before and after there will be 11 wide release movies including many highly anticipated movies: John Wick 3, Brightburn, Minecraft, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and Rocketman. There will be little recovery if it has a soft opening weekend. These movies have done "okay" in past averaging around 250m, with 2017's Beauty and the Beast being an outlier. On a mid to good run, with positive buzz I'd top it out at 300m, but realistically if the mood stays the same it could be half of that. However ... moods can turn on a dime when it comes to nostalgia driven flicks so I'll have to reserve a real guess until much closer to showtime!

Either way I think this will be where it's gonna cut on the "is this a 3 billion year or a 5 billion year?" question.
Disney is also releasing it a month after Endgame, which I’m sure is going to still be in most theaters, eating a share of the Aladdin market.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Oh, we're getting to the first good part of the year!

With the opening of How to Train Your Dragon 3 there's been a bit of movement in our top lists. Universal has moved into the #2 Domestic slot. With no major releases from #1 Warner Bros for another 5 weeks they are likely to drop in the ranks. Particularly against next weeks Captain Marvel, the sales of which are speeding up.

Box Office Pro is calling for a 160m opening weekend for Captain Marvel, I still personally think that could be a little high but with basically no competition at all they might be closer than my estimates.

Ripken10

Oh, we're getting to the first good part of the year!

With the opening of How to Train Your Dragon 3 there's been a bit of movement in our top lists. Universal has moved into the #2 Domestic slot. With no major releases from #1 Warner Bros for another 5 weeks they are likely to drop in the ranks. Particularly against next weeks Captain Marvel, the sales of which are speeding up.

Box Office Pro is calling for a 160m opening weekend for Captain Marvel, I still personally think that could be a little high but with basically no competition at all they might be closer than my estimates.
What changes (for you) with Maleficent 2 is now occurring in October of this year?

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
What changes (for you) with Maleficent 2 is now occurring in October of this year?
Not as much as it likely should? It's could be good for as much as the original (241m) but it's hard to tell of it would really do that. Maleficent 2 is coming out at peak dark counter programming time this year. That might be great news for this similar but family appropriate fare. However, it's also coming out the same day as the animated Addams Family movie ... that audience may eat itself. And in the 2 weeks prior there are a number of movies that could nibble off the non-family audience; Joker, Woman in the Window, and Zombieland 2.

To be honest I nearly forgot that a second Maleficent movie was in the can until this announcement. It's a big schedule move forward but the reports I'm hearing is the movie had been 90% done for a while and was only waiting on a few final passes for picture lock.

Incidentally Jungle Cruise that previously had a similar release date seems to be in about the same boat; the the movie is mostly ready any could have retaken it's original slot. This info plus the move of Maleficent 2 leads me to believe that Disney is trying to get ahead on it's production timelines. Having a few movies ready to go at a moments notice you can switch at will is a good strategy.

BUT - looking at the sea of "Untitled" placeholders Disney has across their live action, animation, Pixar, and Marvel slate for 2020 ... I can't decide if that's a calculated move to not promo stuff to early, caution with the Fox merger, a pivot to make space for Disney+, or some combo of all.

Last edited:

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
We've had our first big weekend of the year! (For both Disney and the box office in general)

Captain Marvel opened with an estimated 153m weekend, putting it at the 18th highest opening weekend of all time, 7th in the Marvel Studio's lot. For it's world wide opening at 456m that put it at 6th of all time. Some are predicting at 500-550m domestic take, but I don't really expect quite that high of a final. I feel topping out at 425-450 range is more likely. I've been really wrong before on MCU movies! (glances back at my 550-575m prediction for Black Panther)

Where does this get us in the charts? Captain Marvel pops to the #1 spot for domestic this year and raises Disney from #7 to #3. With both #1 Warner Bros and #2 Universal having releases this coming weekend Disney might not rise in the overall ranks, but they're only 70m off 2nd and 101m off 1st so strong weekday sales and low weekend drop may help.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
After it's first full week Captain Marvel brought in just under $197 ($215+ with the Friday estimates). It's preforming above the recent Marvel Studios movies ... aside from Black Panther and Infinity War of course. With it's fairly solid estimated numbers for it's 2nd Friday the 2nd weekend should be around 65m.

Tickets for Dumbo are now on sale so expect accurate tracking on that soon. People are awaiting tickets for Avengers: Endgame, the rumored on sale date of April 2nd does line up with what I've been told.

seascape

Thanks to Captain Marvel and Glass Disney has now passed the billion dollar mark world wide. This will most likely be one of the slowest billion dollars this year. Also, they likely moved into first place in the North American Box office battle this weekend thanks to Captain Marvel.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks to Captain Marvel and Glass Disney has now passed the billion dollar mark world wide. This will most likely be one of the slowest billion dollars this year. Also, they likely moved into first place in the North American Box office battle this weekend thanks to Captain Marvel.

Glass is Universal. Perhaps you meant Alita?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
No Glass is a Blumhouse production distributed by Universal in North America and Disney internationally. Please go look at Boxofficemojo.com and see for yourself. The billion dollars does not include any Fox money.

OK, then... why would a movie count for Disney if they were just the distributor?

Take, as an example, if some small indie movie studios created several movies all on their own and got Disney to distribute them, and those movies 'went viral' and wound up making $8 Billion dollars. Would that count as a record for Disney studios? Would Pixar movies have counted for Disney's totals before Disney bought Pixar?

seascape

OK, then... why would a movie count for Disney if they were just the distributor?

Take, as an example, if some small indie movie studios created several movies all on their own and got Disney to distribute them, and those movies 'went viral' and wound up making $8 Billion dollars. Would that count as a record for Disney studios? Would Pixar movies have counted for Disney's totals before Disney bought Pixar?
The answer is the same reason Glass's numbers in North America count in Universal's. It is just the way it's done. I do wonder if starting next week if Boxofficemojo.com will count Fox's numbers in the Disney numbers.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
International distribution deals can get very convoluted very fast. That's part of the reason why I don't typically track them, along with various reporting places handle what counts for what year differently and the numbers not settling until after the movie closes.

Until Fox distribution stops reporting their own numbers (which may be for quite a while still) I will keep those tables separate with a combined total at the end. Right now I'm just color coding the 2nd post breakdowns with Disney as blue and Fox as red; joint numbers will be purple.

seascape

International distribution deals can get very convoluted very fast. That's part of the reason why I don't typically track them, along with various reporting places handle what counts for what year differently and the numbers not settling until after the movie closes.

Until Fox distribution stops reporting their own numbers (which may be for quite a while still) I will keep those tables separate with a combined total at the end. Right now I'm just color coding the 2nd post breakdowns with Disney as blue and Fox as red; joint numbers will be purple.
It is hard to know where to post all the news we are about to get concerning the merger. However, the first two layoffs I read about were Chris Aronson and Andrew Cripps. Based on those two, it is clear all film distribution will be consolidated at Buena Vista Distribution. Obviously that is because they have a better cut of the Box Office with the theaters and Disney wants that extra bit of revenue ASAP.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
It is hard to know where to post all the news we are about to get concerning the merger. However, the first two layoffs I read about were Chris Aronson and Andrew Cripps. Based on those two, it is clear all film distribution will be consolidated at Buena Vista Distribution. Obviously that is because they have a better cut of the Box Office with the theaters and Disney wants that extra bit of revenue ASAP.
There's so many layers to merging all these corporate arms together, it's not surprising distribution was part of the first round of exec cuts. That starts effecting what gets collapsed in to BVD and what gets reported falling under that. Some (maybe all?) contracts for distribution that were signed under Fox will likely stay Fox branded for the time being. Of course that's all in name only now that it's ALL Disney!

It will be curious to see what branding stays in the coming months. Any new contract for distribution should be under BVD. There could always be a few edge cases, but that's unlikely.

sedati

I noticed Alita: Battle Angel (FOX) broke $400 Million worldwide. Not great numbers, but not terrible either. To many this film may have been too much of an oddity/curiosity to see in the theater, but I think if it does well in the home market, it may be sequel worthy.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I noticed Alita: Battle Angel (FOX) broke $400 Million worldwide. Not great numbers, but not terrible either. To many this film may have been too much of an oddity/curiosity to see in the theater, but I think if it does well in the home market, it may be sequel worthy.

Well... using the ballpark calculation, it did lose money in the theatrical window. And it's been a month since the last market it opened, so, it's not going to make any more. It'll have to make about $70 million in the aftermarket to make up for it. It got mixed ratings from critics and good scores from audiences. Doesn't look good for a sequel unless they can seriously cut the budget. Or Cameron can pull some strings.

Meanwhile, it won't be until late June until The Kid Who Would Be King finishes in all of its markets.

So, that's how Fox is doing so far this year.

jt04

Should be 2 billion or close to it. Still a few days left in March. Dumbo getting decent feedback.

jt04

It's happening.

Avengers most ticket sales in first 24 hours. Evah.

Disney might break its own yearly record even before Star Wars Episode IX.

And somewhere a certain spirit still thinks Iger is an empty suit. LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom