2018 NCAA Football Thread

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
@Dad 2 M & M , I'm not getting ahead of myself. Next 3 weeks are a conference road game and Georgia here (Jax). Lots of games teams need to win. I like waiting till the CFP ranks - we'll know so much more. UGA plays us then Kentucky, and at that point, we probably know who will win the East. With FSU struggling, we need to get a win over them. It has been rough. 2012 was too long ago.

I'm not looking towards winning the East, let alone the SEC or making the playoff. This team really does need to take things one game at a time.

But if we're playing what-if, what if Notre Dame's schedule lets it down and it ends up with none of its opponents ranked at end of season?

I've seen lots of crazy seasons somehow work themselves out. 1998 with 3 undefeateds going into ccg weekend. 96 shook out pretty wacky. We got help in 2006 too with SC losing to UCLA just before we took the field vs. Arkansas.

We ran well vs. LSU - 5 ypc. UGA has a better line and backs. I see them rolling.
Notre Dame - One of the most polarizing teams ever......1 or less losses and they're in....even if no one on their schedule ends up ranked at the end of the year......

And, I did get WAY ahead, but....that's the passion down here

winstongator

Notre Dame - One of the most polarizing teams ever......1 or less losses and they're in....even if no one on their schedule ends up ranked at the end of the year......

And, I did get WAY ahead, but....that's the passion down here
I’d disagree on ND - likely they need to be undefeated. Sagarin still likes B1G. 4 in his top 10. That can’t hold. ND is hurt by so man6 of their traditionally strong opponents being down (USC, FSU, somewhat Stanford, VT). WVU and Colorado win out, you could have all 5 p5s undefeated and ND, AND UCF. 7 undefeateds? I can dream of the chaos!

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
I’d disagree on ND - likely they need to be undefeated. Sagarin still likes B1G. 4 in his top 10. That can’t hold. ND is hurt by so man6 of their traditionally strong opponents being down (USC, FSU, somewhat Stanford, VT). WVU and Colorado win out, you could have all 5 p5s undefeated and ND, AND UCF. 7 undefeateds? I can dream of the chaos!
ND would beat out WVU and Colorado if all are undefeated, but agree they would need to be undefeated to guarantee

winstongator

ND would beat out WVU and Colorado if all are undefeated, but agree they would need to be undefeated to guarantee
Wvu will have a lot of tough wins. That’ll be tough. The b12 could cannibalizes itself. It’s a drawback of the smaller league. There are 45 losses to spread. Sec has a dog here and there to eat 7 or 8.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
You can't be satisfied with the play of the defense, can you?

I agree with your 4 candidates....Notre Dame is a lock....watch Texas creeping up
Not at all. Not with the history of Bama’s defense. There are a lot of things at playing that make the defense look worse than it actually is. Diggs will be out because of a broken foot so that’s a major concern. What makes me feel better is that Awesome offense! WOW!

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Wow!
#2 Georgia - still control own destiny, but must win out and win SEC Championship Game
#6 West Virginia - Must Win out and have Notre Dame lose, or have ACC Champ have 2 losses
#7 Washington - 2 Losses, No hope for CFP
# *Penn State - 2 Losses, No hope for CFP

Next week's Poll?

1- 4 are sure things?
1 - Bama
2 - Ohio State
3 - Clemson
4- Notre Dame

5 - Texas

Then what? How far does Georgia Tumble?
6 - 8 Michigan, Georgia, or LSU??

Where is Florida? 9?

CFP Top 4
Bama
Ohio State
Clemson
Notre Dame

Here is the full list of 15 candidates for the CFP and what they need to make it:
SEC (5)
Bama - Win Out and they're in
LSU - Win Out (They have Bama in 3 weeks) and they're in
Georgia - Win Out and they're in - they still control destiny in SEC East
Kentucky - Win Out and they're in - they still control destiny in SEC East
Florida - Win out AND Kentucky lose an SEC Game
ACC (2)
Clemson - Win Out and they're in
NC State - Win Out and they're in
Big 10 (2)
Ohio State - Win Out and they're in
Michigan - Win Out and they're in
Independent (1)
Notre Dame - Win Out and they're in
Big 12 (3)
Texas - Win Out and Notre Dame Lose
Oklahoma - Win Out, Texas Lose 2 Big 12 games AND Notre Dame Lose
West Virginia - Win Out and Notre Dame Lose
Pac 10 (2)
Oregon - Win Out, Notre Dame lose, and Big 12 Champ have 2 losses
Colorado* - Win Out, Notre Dame lose, and you probably pass the Big 12 Champ
*2nd qtr, 0-0 vs USC when this was posted

winstongator

WVU really misses that NC State ooc game.

I don’t think we move to 9. That was an ugly game. But still a win. (I just realized without context, it could apply to a lot of games from yesterday). We are probably #10 give or take a spot. Both us and dawgs have 2 weeks to get —it together.

Does NC State have the weakest resume of any team on your list?

Here’s chaos for the acc. Nd State beats clemson, wins out, loses to VT in acccg.

Which of UCF, USF & cincy has the toughest ooc, meaning best cfp argument should they win out? Would be interesting to have USF meet Texas somewhere.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
WVU really misses that NC State ooc game.

I don’t think we move to 9. That was an ugly game. But still a win. (I just realized without context, it could apply to a lot of games from yesterday). We are probably #10 give or take a spot. Both us and dawgs have 2 weeks to get —it together.

Does NC State have the weakest resume of any team on your list?

Here’s chaos for the acc. Nd State beats clemson, wins out, loses to VT in acccg.

Which of UCF, USF & cincy has the toughest ooc, meaning best cfp argument should they win out? Would be interesting to have USF meet Texas somewhere.

Your Gators are in an interesting position as you need to beat Georgia AND then be Georgia's biggest fan when they play Kentucky. Keep an eye om Tennessee/Bama this weekend, as Tennessee might be getting better, and while most don't give them a shot against Bama a good showing might give you hope the Vols could beat Kentucky.

NC State - Yes...really weak schedule with WVA cancellation. Wonderif NC State were to beat Clemson, would they get a bump in the polls similar to LSU's recent bump?Beginning to wonder if 1 Loss Texas wouldn't pass (or stay ahead of) NC Sate in the Final Rankings.

In your chaos scenario above, you probably open the door for the Big 12 champ

Cincinnati used to be real team back in the Big East days.....

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Your Gators are in an interesting position as you need to beat Georgia AND then be Georgia's biggest fan when they play Kentucky. Keep an eye om Tennessee/Bama this weekend, as Tennessee might be getting better, and while most don't give them a shot against Bama a good showing might give you hope the Vols could beat Kentucky.

NC State - Yes...really weak schedule with WVA cancellation. Wonderif NC State were to beat Clemson, would they get a bump in the polls similar to LSU's recent bump?Beginning to wonder if 1 Loss Texas wouldn't pass (or stay ahead of) NC Sate in the Final Rankings.

UTe doesn’t have a chance against Bama no matter the QB.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
UTe doesn’t have a chance against Bama no matter the QB.
Agreed, and want to point out Jalen Hurts isn't chopped liver.....Tua is SO tremendous he makes Jalen look bad. Name another QB in the SEC that is better than Jalen? There are a couple in the conversation.....Bama should run the table with Jalen

Bama has Tennessee + a bye before LSU......Tua can rest, but I expect to see him this weekend

My point was Tennessee might be able to beat Kentucky, thus opening the door in the East for Florida

Bama's defense look a little better last weekend....some bad passes were caused by pressure.....

Captain Barbossa

I guess I’m always gonna be late. :hilarious: Oh well.

Going back a couple weekends ago, great game against Wake. Very complete performance, offense, defense, and special teams. Just what the doctor ordered. I said it once and I’ll say it again, Travis Etienne for Heisman. Another 150yd+ 3TD game for this kid. Defense played very well and kept Wake out of the end zone. Also got to play all 72 guys on the travel roster. Overall, a good division win.

Bye week came at a good time. Sure is gonna be a good one Saturday afternoon in the Valley!

winstongator

I’m fine beating Georgia and not making Atlanta. Kentucky has a roughly 1/9 chance of winning out in conference. 1/3 chance vs UGA, 1/3 chance to win all the other 3. Our biggest problem will be winning our own games.

In 3 weeks we’ll think we have all the answers...then something else will happen. Every cfp year one or two teams move into the playoff from outside after week 10’s poll.

Over the past 4 years there have been 9 teams make the cfp final 4. 12 have made nfl final four. 14 NCAA basketball final 4. 12 in mlb. As often as Florida was in the mix for periods, I’d like to see new teams.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Agreed, and want to point out Jalen Hurts isn't chopped liver.....Tua is SO tremendous he makes Jalen look bad. Name another QB in the SEC that is better than Jalen? There are a couple in the conversation.....Bama should run the table with Jalen

Bama has Tennessee + a bye before LSU......Tua can rest, but I expect to see him this weekend

My point was Tennessee might be able to beat Kentucky, thus opening the door in the East for Florida

Bama's defense look a little better last weekend....some bad passes were caused by pressure.....
Believe me, I saw your point. I don’t think UTe will beat UK though. Auburn is a shell of itself. UK is the real deal. I just love college football.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom