2016 Lawsuits against Disney

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Stumbled across this, looks like crazy lawsuits against Disney are not a new thing (not that I thought they were)...

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=DFkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2122,2174548&hl=en

Unless the petitioner could prove with reasonable certainty he was the first to line up at any open entry point, he was SOL. Proof could include a time stamped photo of him arriving before anyone at other turnstiles. Remember, burden of proof be on him, not Disney. I bet this gave Disney legal a good laugh when they read the filing.....

rob0519

Time to play catchup here over the past two weeks.

Here's a weird one:
2016-CA-001518-O SAMAN, CHARLIE et al. vs. THE WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC et al.

The plaintiff alleges that while on Splash Mountain the safety restraints did not lock in properly and the defendant was forced to jump out of the ride vehicle. There's a second count wherein the plaintiff was in a van backstage and the van hit a barrier backstage. (Filed 2/19)

2016-CA-001613-O EDELSTEIN, RHONDA vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Plaintiff tripped and fell while in the Mexico pavilion, injuring arm and shoulder. (Filed 2/24)

Another weird one.....

2016-CA-001648-O ORTIZ, RAFAEL C vs. MONSTER BEVERAGE CORPORATION et al.

Plaintiff purchased and consumed a can of Monster Energy at DAK and later that night he suffered a stroke. Plaintiff alleges the beverage caused the stroke. Plaintiff alleges a Design Defect against Disney, essentially because Disney sold him the defective beverage. (Filed 2/24)

2016-CA-001914-O DION, CELESTE M vs. ALMAGUER, CAL et al.

Plaintiff, an employee of the Disney Reservation Center, took an FMLA leave for twelve weeks. Plaintiff was later terminated. Plaintiff alleges management created false grounds for her termination. Plaintiff also filed an EEOC complaint, alleging age discrimination. (Plaintiff is 66) which was dismissed because she didnt file within 90 days. (Filed 3/1)

2016-CA-001950-O
SUTTON, SIMONE vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS, US, INC.

Plaintiff was staying at Port Orleans Riverside, slipped and fell outside her room. (Filed 3/3)

Actually the Splash Mountain one may have some merit. I was on Splash this past April. As we started to move, I noticed the safety restraint did not latch and I could easily push it back and forth. No castmember ever tested it. I tried to get their attention before the ride left, but no one paid attention to me. I spent parts of the ride holding it down the best I could. It was quite an interesting drop, I must say.

When the log arrived back at the loading zone, I got out and tried to tell someone what was wrong, but the log was re-laded and sent out. When I finally got to tell someone, they said it must be a fluke, thanks for letting us know.

Disone

Actually the Splash Mountain one may have some merit. I was on Splash this past April. As we started to move, I noticed the safety restraint did not latch and I could easily push it back and forth. No castmember ever tested it. I tried to get their attention before the ride left, but no one paid attention to me. I spent parts of the ride holding it down the best I could. It was quite an interesting drop, I must say.

When the log arrived back at the loading zone, I got out and tried to tell someone what was wrong, but the log was re-laded and sent out. When I finally got to tell someone, they said it must be a fluke, thanks for letting us know.

You were perfectly safe during the drop. You might notice they consistently do not check if your safety bar is working on Splash. That is because they are not needed for the safe operation of the attraction. For most of WDW's Splash Mountain life span they did not exist. They are there to discourage you from getting out during the ride, but they are not there to secure you for any real safety reason.

rob0519

You were perfectly safe during the drop. You might notice they consistently do not check if your safety bar is working on Splash. That is because they are not needed for the safe operation of the attraction. For most of WDW's Splash Mountain life span they did not exist. They are there to discourage you from getting out during the ride, but they are not there to secure you for any real safety reason.

Based on the ride and the angle of the drop, my safety was never an issue. However, as you pointed out, the bar is there to keep people, children and adults in the vehicle. I only brought it up because the cast member did not check it and that seems to be the gist of the lawsuit. Although I have no idea why the plaintiff felt compelled to jump out of the vehicle.

MyMartianRomance

I've never been on a log flume that had anything more than a hand bar on the side for a restraint, and me and millions of others are still alive with no effects of not having one, when I was smaller I was either on my parents or sister's lap and they held me down.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Finally updated this one. Lots of slip and falls. Two cases from January were dismissed.

Of interest? Disney is suing the property assessor. If you look in 2016-CA-005291-O, you'll find the just and assessed property values for all the theme parks. Disney is suing over these values, saying they exceed the market value.

Epcot was assessed at $405M, MK at $414M, DHS at $316M and DAK at $259M.

Disone

Finally updated this one. Lots of slip and falls. Two cases from January were dismissed.

Of interest? Disney is suing the property assessor. If you look in 2016-CA-005291-O, you'll find the just and assessed property values for all the theme parks. Disney is suing over these values, saying they exceed the market value.

questions, they are suing the property assessor for giving them a value that is too high? What is the benefit in that? Disney is self-insured so it wouldn't affect their insurance rates, because they don't have insurance rates. So what's the harm of having a high value to your property? Is Disney stating that they do not believe epcot is worth that much, Magic Kingdom is not worth that much, Etc....

The above is not a challenge, it is a sincere question. This is perplexing and I don't understand it.

peter11435

questions, they are suing the property assessor for giving them a value that is too high? What is the benefit in that? Disney is self-insured so it wouldn't affect their insurance rates, because they don't have insurance rates. So what's the harm of having a high value to your property? Is Disney stating that they do not believe epcot is worth that much, Magic Kingdom is not worth that much, Etc....

The above is not a challenge, it is a sincere question. This is perplexing and I don't understand it.
Taxes

mikeh

Odd. A valuation of $1.4B for the parks seems low to me, an average guest

SorcererMC

"Not a challenge" --> challenge accepted.

They are saying it's too high; assessment determines property taxes (aka ad valorem). From the complaint:
11. Appraiser failed to comply with section 193.011, Florida Statutes and professionally accepted appraisal practices in assessing the Subject Property.​

12. The assessments do not represent the just value of the Subject Property as of the lien date because they exceed the market value and therefore violates article VII, section 4 of the Florida Constitution.​

13. Appraiser has included the value of certain intangible property in the assessments, in violation of article VII, section 1(a) of the Florida Constitution.​

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Odd. A valuation of $1.4B for the parks seems low to me, an average guest
This dose not mean this is what they could sell the property for, which would be much much higher in my opinion. This used as others have said in taxing equations and such.

Goofyernmost

This dose not mean this is what they could sell the property for, which would be much much higher in my opinion. This used as others have said in taxing equations and such.
Property values are somewhat based on the potential value if sold as a business venture. However, looking at those numbers, it would seem that, if anything, they are low. If, for some reason, they had to close down operations, and all they had left to liquidate was the land it sat on, then it is way over valued. It once again becomes a swamp and is probably not worth much more then what Walt paid for it. So, I would guess that those numbers represent a compromised balance.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

I dont understand it either other than Disney is saying that the assessed values are higher than market value. There's about ten cases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom