2015: The year of the EPCOT makeover?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Goggles on....check.

Back to Epcot, it's my least favorite park. I've always had an issue with Future World. I never got the "message" (if there is one) -- it's just a hodgepodge of this and that for me. We have fun there, but the other parks are better, imo.

It used to have one. Maybe if you had visited the park prior to 1994 you'd understand.

FigmentJedi

The Frozen overlay won't be atrocious. But, it does kind of irk me how Disney can justify 1.2 billion for Disneyland Paris just like that. Epcot will need to lose lots of money before we see that kind of investment.

Whether you like Frozen or not, Disney is spending some money and that speaks volumes to me. This company does not like to spend money at WDW, if it doesn't have to. They could have easily left Maelstrom in place.

Paris is in even more dire straits then Florida right now. Their steamboat is rotting away in front of people's eyes and they had to completely rebuild Hook's pirate ship a couple years ago due to similar issues, the Studios park makes pre-overhaul DCA look like Disney Sea, they've been coasting on character events so much that they are literally getting all of our hand-me-down Disney characters to keep it going (You can actually meet Atlantis and Treasure Planet guys there! Too bad they'll never do a Long Lost Friends thing that amazing here)

Someone needs to grab TDO execs, drag them to Paris and make them LOOK AT IT. Scare 'em straight about what happens when you have a park let itself go.

cheezbat

Paris is in even more dire straits then Florida right now. Their steamboat is rotting away in front of people's eyes and they had to completely rebuild Hook's pirate ship a couple years ago due to similar issues, the Studios park makes pre-overhaul DCA look like Disney Sea, they've been coasting on character events so much that they are literally getting all of our hand-me-down Disney characters to keep it going (You can actually meet Atlantis and Treasure Planet guys there! Too bad they'll never do a Long Lost Friends thing that amazing here)

Someone needs to grab TDO execs, drag them to Paris and make them LOOK AT IT. Scare 'em straight about what happens when you have a park let itself go.

While DLP is in need of a lot of work, it's been in the midst of refurbs all over. It's heading in the right direction.

As for the rare characters...the Saudi Prince who is a co-owner is supposedly a huge foamhead fanatic and loves seeing and having them in the parks. It has nothing to do with hand-me--downs from WDW.

nor'easter

Not so much greed but the desire for wealth, which in certain religions is accepted and encouraged, like Hinduism. The trick is to not seek wealth at the expense of others' well-being. As P.T. Barnum said, "The desire for wealth is nearly universal, and none can say it is not laudable, provided the possessor of it accepts its responsibilities, and uses it as a friend to humanity."
Didn't P. t. Barnum also say "There's a sucker born every minute."? Accounts for all the fanboys..

El Grupo

Seriously, I don't think TDO would be that bothered. IMO, they have been doing exactly what the folks in Burbank want them to do in Orlando...squeezing every dollar out of the product while investing as little as possible.

Philharmagically

Maybe remove figment and captian eo and put in two marvel rides there also. That would breath a bunch of new life into the park and could be done in another 2-3 years

You're forgetting that Universal has the Marvel rides covered. Or at least the main properties. Hmmm perhaps a Guardians of the Galaxy ride?

Philharmagically

I have another idea... Innoventions is getting older and duller (the only good thing is Sum of All Thrills). What would be really interesting is if they turned it into an all year D23. An insight into imagineering. We could see prototypes, art work, diagrams of rides of the future Disney Park. It would be a combination of education (the engineering side of things), art and promotion - hyping up the rides to the enth degree.

montyz81

I have another idea... Innoventions is getting older and duller (the only good thing is Sum of All Thrills). What would be really interesting is if they turned it into an all year D23. An insight into imagineering. We could see prototypes, art work, diagrams of rides of the future Disney Park. It would be a combination of education (the engineering side of things), art and promotion - hyping up the rides to the enth degree.
Sort of a replacement for the Backstage tour in Hollywood Studios.

Philharmagically

Sort of a replacement for the Backstage tour in Hollywood Studios.

Sort of. In my opinion, most people these days know about how movies are made. We have these amazing things called "Special Features" on DVDs. Whereas, the work of an Imagineer is a lot more obscure and in my opinion more interesting. This would give Disney a platform to showcase their highly skilled Imagineers, an exclusive, unique attraction that would not be found (as a permanent feature) anywhere else. Plus, we need to try and inspire the Imagineers of the future!

monothingie

Premium Member
That's over twenty years ago, so I'll just have to take your word for it. My first visit to Disney was in the late 90's post AK with my family.

As an aside, it's interesting that you happen to mention 1994 -- I was on punishment for the entire summer. Ugh, there was this boy, who got me in so much trouble. He told me that he wanted to come over and give me a present, so I told him to bring it right after school. I expected maybe one or two friends max to accompany him -- but before I knew it, there were like twenty boys on BMX bikes and skateboards all over the front lawn. Still, my parents would have been none the wiser, if it weren't for my nosy neighbor(s), who called and told them to look outside. So, on the last day of school, I was sent to stay with my grandparents for the whole summer. No cable, no internet, no music except for the soft Christian rock music that played subtly and nonstop throughout each room. It wasn't all bad though, my grandparents took me shopping every week, and I went back home with a ton of new clothes and stuff. Disney was nowhere on my radar back then, lol.

Please read up on you're Disney history before you make comments. There is a lot of back story about certain things that you're commenting on which may cause you to reevaluate your opinion.

Siren

Please read up on you're Disney history before you make comments. There is a lot of back story about certain things that you're commenting on which may cause you to reevaluate your opinion.
LOL. I don't need to be a Disney historian in order to comment here. There is no amount of history that could change my past experiences or how I perceive Epcot. It's silly to find offense with that. Next time, just do yourself a favor and avoid my comments -- that saves all of us a lot time and energy. Thanks so much!

monothingie

Premium Member
LOL. I don't need to be a Disney historian in order to comment here. There is no amount of history that could change my past experiences or how I perceive Epcot. It's silly to find offense with that. Next time, just do yourself a favor and avoid my comments -- that saves all of us a lot time and energy. Thanks so much!

Well I was hoping that if you took a couple of minutes to better understand something you'd be able to more intelligently comment on it. Clearly I was wrong.

mahnamahna101

You're forgetting that Universal has the Marvel rides covered. Or at least the main properties. Hmmm perhaps a Guardians of the Galaxy ride?
Yeah I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6 are both disassociated enough with Marvel's main IPs that Universal probably wouldn't mind if they were used for a ride. BH6 especially since it's a Disney animated film.

MerlinTheGoat

Anyone who only visited EPCOT after 1998 (as stated, post Animal Kingdom) and refuses to even take a glimpse at what it was like before that date is most certainly unqualified to speak on behalf of EPCOT's history. It's common damn sense, just like you do not entertain a movie opinion from someone who has never watched said movie and refuses to do so (still insisting on mouthing off about it). EPCOT's decline is generally agreed to have begun in earnest around 1994, visitors who only saw it from 1998 onward missed three of its centerpiece E ticket rides along with its identity. They also witnessed it being neglected and ignored, with cheap and pathetic attempts to "enhance" the park like the Mexico Donald Duck overlay.

Epcot needs help, well over a billion dollar investment just to get it on par with the quality of its original form (if that's even possible with those presently at imagineering, more money to make it better than it was before). Though it's also going to take a change in the corporate and imagineering structure to do it right even with a ton of money thrown at it. Further tooning the park up with Frozen and other such properties just makes things worse. People who try to justify putting Frozen and other cartoons in EPCOT where they aren't appropriate quite simply aren't mature enough to understand and appreciate the original park or its intent, the park was not created for people who craved seeing cartoons everywhere they go.

Or just outright disregard my love of EPCOT (really go ahead). I am also a big Frozen fan (flaws aside I found it to be a very good animated movie). Even in spite of this the Frozen-Maelstrom project is an offense not only to EPCOT, but to anyone who enjoyed the movie (whether you choose to face that reality or not). Even if you don't give a crap about EPCOT or its integrity. It's being developed as nothing more than a quick and cheap attempt to cash in on a property they didn't think would be successful and that they've no intention of spending the necessary money on to do properly. Given a proper budget and placed in an appropriate area (Fantasyland) with a new ride, it would be a welcome addition to WDW and it would likely have minimal critics (I wouldn't be among them). What they are providing instead however is a spit in the eye to EPCOT and Frozen fans alike.

Hell according to reports of this reusing the same track layout, it's not even fixing Maelstrom's only glaring problem- its short length. Even if you've no appreciation or respect for EPCOT (if you actually hate the park), Frozen alone deserves so much better than this crap.

Last edited:

CentralFLlife

Anyone who only visited EPCOT after 1998 (as stated, post Animal Kingdom) and refuses to even take a glimpse at what it was like before that date is most certainly unqualified to speak on behalf of EPCOT's history. It's common **** sense, just like you do not entertain a movie opinion from someone who has never watched said movie and refuses to do so (still insisting on mouthing off about it). EPCOT's decline is generally agreed to have begun in earnest around 1994, visitors who only saw it from 1998 onward missed three of its centerpiece E ticket rides along with its identity. They also witnessed it being neglected and ignored, with cheap and pathetic attempts to "enhance" the park like the Mexico Donald Duck overlay.

Epcot needs help, well over a billion dollar investment just to get it on par with the quality of its original form (if that's even possible with those presently at imagineering, more money to make it better than it was before). Though it's also going to take a change in the corporate and imagineering structure to do it right even with a ton of money thrown at it. Further tooning the park up with Frozen and other such properties just makes things worse. People who try to justify putting Frozen and other cartoons in EPCOT where they aren't appropriate quite simply aren't mature enough to understand and appreciate the original park or its intent, the park was not created for people who craved seeing cartoons everywhere they go.

Or just outright disregard my love of EPCOT (really go ahead). I am also a big Frozen fan (flaws aside I found it to be a very good animated movie). Even in spite of this the Frozen-Maelstrom project is an offense not only to EPCOT, but to anyone who enjoyed the movie (whether you choose to face that reality or not). Even if you don't give a crap about EPCOT or its integrity. It's being developed as nothing more than a quick and cheap attempt to cash in on a property they didn't think would be successful and that they've no intention of spending the necessary money on to do properly. Given a proper budget and placed in an appropriate area (Fantasyland) with a new ride, it would be a welcome addition to WDW and it would likely have minimal critics (I wouldn't be among them). What they are providing instead however is a spit in the eye to EPCOT and Frozen fans alike.

Hell according to reports of this reusing the same track layout, it's not even fixing Maelstrom's only glaring problem- its short length. Even if you've no appreciation or respect for EPCOT (if you actually hate the park), Frozen alone deserves so much better than this crap.
Okay, here is my biggest issue with it, will it still be a boat ride after the conversion? How will that work out? Everything is supposed to be frozen, why are we floating around a river or stream?
I know maelstrom had a snowy section of it but it wasn't a deep freeze like Arendelle is in

kpilcher

"Walt, we have got to put a t-shirt shop in Bear Country."

"No, I don't like that so much."

While I get and agree with your general point here, and I always like Rolly's storytelling, Bear Country was added to Disneyland long after Walt's death and WDW opened. Walt wanted Country Bears for a ski resort called Mineral King. Bear Country was added as a way to liven up a relatively dead end of the park with what imagineers knew would be a hit show from Florida. They built DL Country Bears with twice the capacity with two theaters. That's a move they had to have anticipated after seeing mock-ups of the completed show. CBJ opened in FL in Oct 71. Bear Country opened in Mar 72. Despite urban legend of it being built in reaction to the show being a big hit in Florida, that is too short a time for even Disney of the 70s to design and build a full land. After a decade, or so, CBJ was so under-utilized they kept one theater set up for the Christmas show year-round. Flip a switch. Instant seasonal promotion. Not sure why CBJ never quite caught on as well in California. Kind of a reverse situation to the logic that people in Florida wouldn't want to see pirates. I'm still glad I got to experience the bears in DL before pooh happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom