2012 Themed Entertainment Association park attendance figures show increase over 2011

DonaldDoleWhip

I dunno, if I were Disneyland Resort, I'd be pretty happy with a 22.6% gain at the second gate with only a 1.1% decrease at the main gate. That's a huge increase with very little cannibalization. And the growth occurred in mostly the second half of the year, since the first 5.5 months of the year, DCA was still torn up (remember the temporary entrance behind Soarin'?).

I also see it as significant because it shows that while small additions in DCA (World of Color, TSMM, Mermaid) moved the needle a tad, big budget tent-pole expansion is what it took to see significant growth. Disney should see that and realize that's the right course of action to take at WDW, too, if they want similar results.

Also significant is that Disneyland Resort doesn't feel significantly more crowded than it did before Cars Land opened. The back corner is packed near RSR, but the parks have done a great job of absorbing the crowds. Even over Memorial Day, the parks were fine...

That's a great point. I guess if you're an internet fanboy (no negative connotation meant - I'm including myself in there) who sees "10 million +" or "nearly double" across the web, the results might look disappointing. But in terms of how DL and DCA have fared, these results are still a clear positive for Anaheim. I made it to DL a few weeks ago and enjoyed DCA more than I've enjoyed any WDW park in recent years, so it would be great to see the park do well and prove that the investments were worthwhile.

Animaniac93-98

Quick number crunching....

MK's average, daily attendance for 2012 would have been 48,000. This is before New Fantasyland opened.

Others:

Epcot - 30,000.
DAK - 27,000.
DHS - 27,000.

While we look at a lack of growth in the parks, especially at Dak/DHS still being under 30k/day, they're still above UOR.

IOA - 21,800.
UOR - 17,000.

Fun (though still useless) fact. Canada's Wonderland had a higher average daily attendence than any of those parks, but MK. 3.655 million people in around 100-120 days (I think) of admission. I assume that figure does not include the extra-pay, after hours Halloween Haunt event.

PhotoDave219

Other interesting things....

The Louve in Paris: 9.7 million.

.... Which would be tied for 9th Worldwide in Theme Parks with Uni Studios-Japan. Ahead of ISO/USF.

Natural History Museum in DC: 7.6 Mil.

... Falls 12th on the Worldwide Theme Park list. Just behind IOA & DCA. Ahead of USF.

Air & Space Museum: 6.8 Mil.

... Falls 13th on the Worldwide Theme Park List. Ahead of USF.

disney fan 13

.... Which would be tied for 9th Worldwide in Theme Parks with Uni Studios-Japan. Ahead of ISO/USF.

... Falls 12th on the Worldwide Theme Park list. Just behind IOA & DCA. Ahead of USF.

And your point? Everyone visits those museums when in DC, it's a rite of passage, sorta like WDW.

BryceM

Wow - So the Louvre attracts more visitors than IOA, DCA, USF, USH, SWO and the dreadful WDSP.

Interesting.

BryceM

Still, it isn't quite fair to compare a theme park to a museum. One is more costly, when you factor in ticket prices, food, merchandise, etc. The museums are more of a day trip, they are not as costly, and are located in the centers of major cities which attract a TON of tourists.

Interesting nonetheless.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Heres something to think about - how much did DCA cannibalize WDW? Im sure some people skipped FL this year as a result.
Doesn't seem like the numbers show this yet? But how many people saw RSR on TV or in an ad after it opened and decided to do this in 2013? Most people book vacations like WDW in advance and people with kids like to travel in the summer so the bump might come in 2013 in DCA 2.0s first full year.

ParentsOf4

The 2012 WDW numbers don't seem to jibe with guidance provided by Iger and Rasulo at the quarterly conference calls. See my analysis here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-show-increase-over-2011.866141/#post-5523497

The WDW numbers seem a bit too high. Even taking an optimistic interpretation of Rasulo's statements (an approach that's questionable for any earnings call at any company), it's hard to imagine how WDW as a whole was up more than about 1.5% for the year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting report. I think DCAs jump was expected, the DLR drop was less than I anticipated. The flattening out of IOA was to be expected. Probably drops a little more in 2013 as Transformers canabalizes IOA. The WDW numbers show the multi-day passes still drive attendance. Nothing new was added to AK but it grew the same as the other 3. I was kinda surprised MK wasn't a percent or 2 higher due to FLE, but it was really only open less than 2 months.

With a relatively healthy growth number for WDW despite not much new and big price increases last year it's not surprising they went for a big increase this year again. It will be interesting to see if the $5 up charge for MK will move the needle on attendance this year. I'm guessing probably not.

flynnibus

Premium Member
These reports are fun to toy with... but I don't think they are a great gauge of actual good theme park business.

Important and interesting things like..
- unique guests
- spending per guest
- time in park per guest
- # of visits per guest statistics
- park attendance trends in terms of utilization (days above a % of capacity or utilization)

Are the cool things and those are all kept close to the chest by the parks. The whole system is based on external estimates and tracks a relatively insignificant #.

PhotoDave219

The 2012 WDW numbers don't seem to jibe with guidance provided by Iger and Rasulo at the quarterly conference calls. See my analysis here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-show-increase-over-2011.866141/#post-5523497

The WDW numbers seem a bit too high. Even taking the most optimistic interpretation of Rasulo's statements (an approach that's questionable for any earnings call at any company), it's hard to imagine how WDW as a whole was up more than about 1.5% for the year.

These are estimates. and I really wonder how they came about 2.2% across the board for WDW?

But 48k/day at MK seems right for last year. I can only imagine what this summer will bring.

Is 50k/day possible for 2013? We'd have to get MK to 18.25 mil guests for the year. Is 18 million realistic?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The WDW numbers seem a bit too high. Even taking an optimistic interpretation of Rasulo's statements (an approach that's questionable for any earnings call at any company), it's hard to imagine how WDW as a whole was up more than about 1.5% for the year.
Since their focus had shifted from adding more guests to up selling existing ones they probably don't want to highlight attendance growth at WDW. They wanted to promote the success of DCA to justify the money spent.

Another factor may be that as the economy recovers people are stretching their vacations longer. Someone who cut down to 4 or 5 nights a few years ago maybe went back to a week. Those extra days don't mean much to Disney in terms of park revenues due to multiday passes. In other words the boost in attendance doesn't mean a one for one boost in profits. They may not have wanted to highlight growth that isn't driving the bottom line.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
These reports are fun to toy with... but I don't think they are a great gauge of actual good theme park business.

Important and interesting things like..
- unique guests
- spending per guest
- time in park per guest
- # of visits per guest statistics
- park attendance trends in terms of utilization (days above a % of capacity or utilization)

Are the cool things and those are all kept close to the chest by the parks. The whole system is based on external estimates and tracks a relatively insignificant #.
Forget my last post. This is what I was trying to say. Just said much better than I did.

ParentsOf4

I dunno, if I were Disneyland Resort, I'd be pretty happy with a 22.6% gain at the second gate with only a 1.1% decrease at the main gate. That's a huge increase with very little cannibalization. And the growth occurred in mostly the second half of the year, since the first 5.5 months of the year, DCA was still torn up (remember the temporary entrance behind Soarin'?).
Yes, I agree, if DCA is cannibalizing DL only a few percentage points (assuming it's over an entire 12 months) I have to imagine TWDC would be fairly satisfied with that performance. As of late, Iger and Rasulo have been absolutely crowing about the vastly improved balance between the two parks.

Quoting Iger from the most recent call:
Just as an aside, and we've talked a lot about California Adventure. Before we redid California Adventure, at a typical day at the Disneyland Resort, you would see about 75% of attendance going to Disneyland and 25% going to California Adventure. That's now in most days more like 55%/45%.

Assuming DL stays at about 16M, his statement suggests DCA could come in at 13M in 2013. It should be really interesting to see the numbers next year after DCA has been in operation for a full year.

PhotoDave219

Still, it isn't quite fair to compare a theme park to a museum. One is more costly, when you factor in ticket prices, food, merchandise, etc. The museums are more of a day trip, they are not as costly, and are located in the centers of major cities which attract a TON of tourists.

Interesting nonetheless.

They're in this years report. I just find the contrast of the two interesting. High culture vs pop culture.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom