2009 Theme Park Attendance Report Released

Studios Fan

I'm kinda surprised DHS and DAK increased. Interesting if you look at the top 20 North American parks only the Disney parks and Busch Gardens Williamsburg were up.

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
Wow, Seaworld Orlando ending up ahead of both Uni and IOA is a bit surprising. Universal down 12% and IOA down 13.8% is pretty crazy also, but I don't think they really have much to worry about. Those numbers should sky rocket with Harry Potter debuting this summer.

a2grafix

Surprised to see Kings Island had better attendance than Cedar Point, in top North American parks.

With the Midwest mired in the global economic funk and the failed takeover by Apollo of Cedar Fair, still pretty decent numbers.

Surprising numbers all around for Disney, Universal, SeaWorld and Cedar Fair parks.

lazyboy97o

The fact that Disney can report attendance growth at all in this climate sounds like good news to my unprofessional ears.
Just a note, but the Disney numbers are estimates and not official from Disney.

Just because attendance is up does not tell the whole picture. Are these guests paying full price for their admission? How much are they spending once they are inside the park? Disney has apparently done a very good job at keeping its attendance but this has been at the expense of people paying full price and spending money in the parks. Even Iger admitted not too long ago that going forward he would like to ween customers off of the discounts that have come into being to help keep attendance.

TP2000

I'm struck by the fact that the entire world was either down by quite a bit (not surprising given the global recession), or most Disney parks up by tiny amounts of less than 1.0%

But then there's Disneyland with a 8.0% gain for the year, and Disney's California Adventure with a huge 9.5% gain for the year. In a massive global recession. When the only new things they had in Anaheim were a refreshed Fantasmic! show at Disneyland and a bunch of construction walls in DCA.

Those are crazy strong gains to make in such an otherwise distressed, weak environment. :eek:

_Scar

I'm struck by the fact that the entire world was either down by quite a bit (not surprising given the global recession), or most Disney parks up by tiny amounts of less than 1.0%

But then there's Disneyland with a 8.0% gain for the year, and Disney's California Adventure with a huge 9.5% gain for the year. In a massive global recession. When the only new things they had in Anaheim were a refreshed Fantasmic! show at Disneyland and a bunch of construction walls in DCA.

Those are crazy strong gains to make in such an otherwise distressed, weak environment. :eek:

But revenue isn't as high as they might want due to AP rates. I mean, it's tough. Do you want the attendance numbers or more money?

Still, I think DCA will join the rest of the Disney Parks once WoC/Carsland debuts! :sohappy:

And HKDL when they get their expansions.

And the running line on vacation for my family is that we question if we're in a recession when in Disney World. It's almost as vacation comes naturally when people just need a place to go to get away from it all.

lazyboy97o

Part of this could have been fueled by the introduction of the Annual Pass monthly payment plans for locals. In rough times people often enjoy escapes and the monthly payments have made Disneyland look cheaper. The big issue is how much has Disneyland been hurt by this easing of access to locals. Then add on the trend of Annual Passholders stopping in for just a few hours and one may not be there at all for eating or shopping.

plutoismyhero

wow im amazed at the fact that each wdw park increase..........speaks alot of wdw.....and disney had the top 9 spots wow i really hope i am working for them a year from now

jakeman

Remeber everyone, as some of our departed board members would remind us, these numbers are not real.

Disney bought of the publisher to be at the top of the list. /tinfoilhat :lol:

In all seriousness though, it's good to see that WDW is maintaining its attendance levels.

Overall though, I hope (and I'm sure that) Disney is looking to increase per guest spending.

I want to spend my money at WDW, but as a seasoned park goer I need really good reasons too. Outside of F&W festivals and Disney races, I don't really have one.

captainkidd

Shocked to see Universal's huge slip. Double digits is a lot. I have no doubts IOA will see a big increase with Harry Potter, but it should be interesting to see how Universal Studios does.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
We've been saying for the past year that attendance at WDW has been very strong, interesting to see these estimates out now support that.

montyz81

My family accounted for 4 of those increased numbers last year. Sadly we will not be able to increase the numbers this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom