2008 Marathon Weekend Pictures

Here are some pictures from last weekend's marathon. I ran the half, but took no pictures while running. If you've never done something like this, but think you might want to one day, it is a great experience! I will now be running in the Disneyland Half on Labor Day weekend.

I ran with a charity this year--Special Kids. SK is a hospital facility in middle Tennessee that gives specialized care for severely disabled children and occupation therapy. As a team, we raised over $45,000 for the organization. As a fund-raising incentive, if I raised over $1500, our lodging for the weekend was free--at Animal Kingdom Lodge! I raised over $2400 for them. It's a great organization, one I am now committed to, so running for a charity is another great reason to get involved in this weekend.

So, I begin with our AKL room--our first trip to a deluxe resort.
190700.jpg

Everyone must go to the Expo at WWoS to pick up their race number.
213642.jpg

214002.jpg

Typical Disney-get in line and wait. :animwink: Seriously, for such a large number of people, they move you quickly.
214412.jpg

Main floor of the Expo.
215526.jpg

The Special Kids group after our pasta dinner in the Norway loft.
053407.jpg

SpongeScott

Original Poster
. . . actually I was just looking at the map, and it looks like there's a path that goes from Beach Club around EPCOT to the starting area.

The walk might be a good way to get warmed up.:shrug:
Take the bus. You're guaranteed to get there. You'll have enough walking to the start of the race just from the Epcot parking lot.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Take the bus. You're guaranteed to get there. You'll have enough walking to the start of the race just from the Epcot parking lot.

That's something that I think is going to bother me. When I'm ready to do something I always JUST WANT TO GET TO IT. I'm afraid I'm going to have a problem waiting for things to get going.

dreamfinder

I guess one thing I don't like about busses is I don't trust them. I'm afraid I'll miss it or it will be full. I guess I could plan on taking the bus and if something goes wrong, I can hop in my car and go.

When did you say the actual race starts? 6:00?

:lol:

I actually was thinking about staying in the resorts behind EPCOT and walking . . . but then I thought it would probably be too early and I wouldn't be able to cut through the park.
They say it was a 1/2 mile walk from the parking lot, to the start. I stayed at POFQ and it drove us nuts. We pulled out of the gate, and see the start across the street. But then the bu goes to Epcot and we walked back to our hotel basically. Woulda been a shorter walk from the hotel to the start than from parking to the start. As long as you don't wait til the absolute last minute, you should have no problem getting on the bus. When I got on at like 3:20ish, there were about 9 buses waiting to load up. When my DF came over later to watch me finish, they said the same thing, that the buses were just lined up. You can drive, but they start closing roads at 4:30, so no guarantee you will make it there on time. Nor is there a real benefit from the extra few minutes you may squeeze out. I know there is no way I would have been able to drive back to my hotel after running the full, I was very glad for the bus.

Karolena

Thanks for the information and pictures. I'm thinking about doing this next year and it's always good to get more information.

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Thanks for the information and pictures. I'm thinking about doing this next year and it's always good to get more information.
You better get registered now! The half-marathon registration is almost closed and the Goofy Challenge is closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom