2008 Marathon Weekend Pictures

Here are some pictures from last weekend's marathon. I ran the half, but took no pictures while running. If you've never done something like this, but think you might want to one day, it is a great experience! I will now be running in the Disneyland Half on Labor Day weekend.

I ran with a charity this year--Special Kids. SK is a hospital facility in middle Tennessee that gives specialized care for severely disabled children and occupation therapy. As a team, we raised over $45,000 for the organization. As a fund-raising incentive, if I raised over $1500, our lodging for the weekend was free--at Animal Kingdom Lodge! I raised over $2400 for them. It's a great organization, one I am now committed to, so running for a charity is another great reason to get involved in this weekend.

So, I begin with our AKL room--our first trip to a deluxe resort.
190700.jpg

Everyone must go to the Expo at WWoS to pick up their race number.
213642.jpg

214002.jpg

Typical Disney-get in line and wait. :animwink: Seriously, for such a large number of people, they move you quickly.
214412.jpg

Main floor of the Expo.
215526.jpg

The Special Kids group after our pasta dinner in the Norway loft.
053407.jpg

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Race morning!

Up and dressed at 3:15am. Yes, 3:15. A.M.
115334.jpg

No, I wasn't lying. For the marathon weekend, you are transported on very nice tour buses from the Expo or course to your resort.
122049.jpg

The family gathering area, waiting for the time to line up for the race.
124727.jpg

124739.jpg

Last chance to use the restroom before the race begins, unless you don't mind dropping and going on the side of the road where you line up. This was only half of the line of porta-pottys.
r90_135840.jpg

And the race begins! The bright light was just that--so we could see. They also had jumbo-tron screens so we could see the pre-race festivities. Race began at 6:00; my wave began at 6:10.
144208.jpg

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Marathon Day pics

The characters are all over the place. This was outside the AK parking lot, around mile 18.
162807.jpg

This guy was in third place overall when he came by.
162517.jpg

Here is one of the mile markers.
164211.jpg

164237.jpg

165752.jpg

Can't wait until 2009!!!:wave:

Main Street USA

Hope you don't mind if I share mine in the same thread. I only did the 5k, but it was a good time. I walked it with my mom and dad on Friday morning. Here are a few pics:

Zac_5k_1.jpg

3_of_us_5k_2.jpg

Mom_Zac_5k_3.jpg

3_of_us_5k_1.jpg

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Great photos Scott!

Can you just drive over to the starting point, or do they want people to take busses to avoid congestion?

I could probably use a few minutes of extra sleep.:lookaroun

I'm thinking about staying at Pop Century. What would be the easiest thing to do from there?

Listen to me. Asking details like this as if I'm actually going to show up.:eek:

:lol:

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Great photos Scott!

Can you just drive over to the starting point, or do they want people to take busses to avoid congestion?

I'm thinking about staying at Pop Century. What would be the easiest thing to do from there?

Listen to me. Asking details like this as if I'm actually going to show up.:eek:

They discourage people taking their own cars and warn of massive traffic jams into Epcot. I didn't see any. The last bus will leave your resort at 4:00am. If you're like most people, you won't sleep good the night before and you'll be up and ready to go.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Great pictures Scott! It kind of makes me want to keep my original New Year's resolution to get in shape (it has since morphed into - "Do a better job of drinking my wine and keep my no felony streak alive.").

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Great photos Scott!

Jog to the site? :lookaroun

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
They discourage people taking their own cars and warn of massive traffic jams into Epcot. I didn't see any. The last bus will leave your resort at 4:00am. If you're like most people, you won't sleep good the night before and you'll be up and ready to go.

I guess one thing I don't like about busses is I don't trust them. I'm afraid I'll miss it or it will be full. I guess I could plan on taking the bus and if something goes wrong, I can hop in my car and go.

When did you say the actual race starts? 6:00?

Jog to the site? :lookaroun

I actually was thinking about staying in the resorts behind EPCOT and walking . . . but then I thought it would probably be too early and I wouldn't be able to cut through the park.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
. . . actually I was just looking at the map, and it looks like there's a path that goes from Beach Club around EPCOT to the starting area.

The walk might be a good way to get warmed up.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom