2 ride questions--help a mom out!

alexaveryq

Original Poster
The "ever regret a ride" thread got me thinking about these "issues" that I need to get resolved before my family leaves in 12:sohappy: days for WDW:

1). Has anyone ridden the "non-puke inducing" version of Mission: Space? What is it like? Would my 5-year-old (who is fearful of pretty much everything) find anything to be scared of in this attraction? Both my husband and I get sick on "spinning" rides, so the other version is definitely NOT for us, but we'd like to do this version, as well as let both our girls try it if it's worth it.

2). Is Primeval Whirl a "spinning" ride or just a "rough" ride? I'm O.K. on "spinning" things like Dumbo, but not, say the "spinning" of the teacups ride. And I'll endure a "rough" ride for the love of my child:lol: (last time we went, we were with two other families. My eight-year-old was literally 1/2" too short to ride, while her two other friends were able to ride. It was the only thing in all 4 parks that she wanted to ride but was unable to. She cried and cried...it was pitiful). I know I'll have to do this one (my husband has already said no way), but I just want to prepare myself. Thanks!

Laura

Premium Member
I can't tolerate spinning rides at all, but I am able to ride Mission: Space as long as I focus straight ahead on the screen. I have not gone on the ligher version of it because the original is so much more fun, but I will say that my little boy who is a fraidy cat rode the "non-puke" version with my husband and LOVED it. Not scary in the least (and he is one that used to scream his head off on Pirates because of the "drop" :lol:)

Primeval Whirl is nuts and impossible to describe. It doesn't spin too much though, only a couple rotations. It's not a necessarily pleasant ride, but the spinning isn't too bad (I am someone who can barely tolerate Dumbo if that says anything).

lilclerk

1). Has anyone ridden the "non-puke inducing" version of Mission: Space? What is it like? Would my 5-year-old (who is fearful of pretty much everything) find anything to be scared of in this attraction? Both my husband and I get sick on "spinning" rides, so the other version is definitely NOT for us, but we'd like to do this version, as well as let both our girls try it if it's worth it.

I've never tried the spinning version of Mission Space. The non-spinning side is VERY cool though. I really enjoyed it. You still feel... well not weightless but it's still a cool sensation.
It's just a very enclosed space... it will almost make you claustrophobic if you're not already! :lol: If she's scared of being in a tight area, you might want her to skip it.

wvugeoggrad

I think that you would be fine on the non-spinning version of Mission space. The only thing that I could think of that would possibly scare you child would be the close quarters. But if they aren't afraid of tight spaces then I think you'd be fine.

As far as primeval whirl goes it can spin pretty intense at times. I'm pretty good at handling spinnig rides but I'm usually a little light headed when I get off it, never gotten sick though.

Goodluck and have a great trip!!! :wave:

Figment82

My mom hates dark rides or enclosed spaces, but somehow we got her to try the Green side of Mission:Space and she really liked it. At first, it's a little off-putting, but then you start to get wrapped up in the mission and forget that you're in a little capsule. I personally can only ride the green side as the orange side makes me insanely sick, but it's still a fun experience - just not as intense.

I hate spinning, so Primeval "Hurl" as I call it, is a ride I do very rarely (like if I'm with a group where everyone else wants to ride). It's not so much the spinning that gets me, as the crazy jerky movements that it makes when it hits the end of a straightaway and curves back. It's impossible to describe unless you've been on a Wild Mouse-type ride before, but it's probably worth a ride once to experience it. It doesn't really make me sick, just a little dizzy (I have trouble finding the way out of the car when it's over!).

DisneyGigi

I don't like Spinning rides so I do the green side of MS. The only thing that I would think might bother him would be the enclosed space, but there is cool air blowing so it doesn't seem too bad to me.
As for Primeval Whirl, I like it for whatever reason, it did not make me sick until I rode it 3 times back to back :hammer: It spins more sometimes than others, kinda like a Tilt-a-Whirl and it is rough, it slings you pretty hard around turns, but it is fun.
Hope this helps! :wave:

wickedfan07

Mission: Space Green is a good ride. The capsule is a tight fit, though. IT made me nervous when the control panel came closer, but once we got moving, I was fine. The ride moves around somewhat...it is a motion simulator. But there is absolutely no spinning. so as long as your kids are okay with some rocking back and forth and the rumble from the "rockets", I think they'll be okay. One the ride starts, each rider has specific buttons to push to keep the mission "on track," so the kids can get involved with the ride and might forget that the capsule is a little tight and that the ride is rocking.

Primeval Whirl spins. The first two times I rode it, I could handle it. The spinning was not fast, but still exciting. The last time I rode it (second time I rode it during our last trip), the car we were in spun like crazy, and I was nauseous afterwards. So if you can't really handle spinning rides, I'd say give Primeval Whirl a pass. I can usually handle spinning, but that last ride has me thinking twice about riding Primeval Whirl next time we make it to WDW.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip! :D

Shere_Khan

Possibly the only thing a child might find scary about the non-puke version of MS is that you are completely enclosed. I could see someone who is claustrophobic not enjoying it as well. But otherwise, it is very tame IMO and just as fun without getting sick! You might not feel the effects of space quite as much but I think it is right up there with the other one.
As for Primevil Whirl, I don't get why everyone finds this ride so rough. I thought it was rather smooth. It is a favorite of mine. It reminds me of a ride we have here at Michigan's Adventure called the Mad Mouse, which is totally fun!

RiversideBunny

Mission Space is four across.
Individual seats.

I have never had a problem on it.
Have ridden it just before lunch and also just after a big lunch.
Your neck seems to be the potential problem area. You need to keep your head all the way back against the headrest. Otherwise you could get a stiff neck.

Good luck. Go for it.
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom