Trip Report 2 Broke Guys & A Dog get Ft Wilderness Cabin Fever (but not COVID-19!)

Yes, yes, it's been awhile. Yes, I'm still sitting on all of our 2019 trip reports. (Great stuff happened - take my word for it!) It will be fun to write those (eventually) because they are from a world before this world we couldn't have imagined at the time - so many WDWmagic meet & greets without masks or elbow bumps. I'll get to writing those eventually, but it's a big commitment of time, and I don't have so much of that lately. (That means - sigh of relief - business is good. It also means when business was bad/closed in the Spring, I worked more than ever and had even less time! If I was Waiting To Exhale, this little WDW trip I'm about to detail was that wonderful and much needed expulsion of a very deep breath.)

Who:

Me: Tony (bad pic in avatar. Will replace with a pic from this trip when done.)

Husband: Brian (I'm sure he'll love this candid shot.)
Brian Disney.JPG

Dog: Kylie. (Fresh pic just for this TR, posed about 30 seconds ago. 58 pounds of German Shepherd/Chow Chowness.)
Kylie.jpg

Where: Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Cabins (first time staying here! Booked last year but changed before going. Yes, they take pets!)

When: September 29-ish to October 2.

Why: hey, it's my day off, I can type whatever I want! Warning: it's short - really short - although if you know us, you know most of our trips are about that short. This time, it's a lot less jam-packed. But I'm telling ya, this trip was just what the doctor ordered.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Alright, there's a little bummery in this post regarding some of our favorite CM's, but it's followed by drinks.

After our flight in a cabin (I never did figure out which character was on it, believe it or not lol) we stopped at the good ol' Caribbean Beach Resort. We have stayed at this resort more than any other. One reason for that was Mike the bartender, since the old incarnation of the Banana Cabana, through the trailer version, and into the new version (which we knew he was not crazy about.)

IMG_1009.jpg

(We love the way it looks, but it's not very functional for the staff.) We knew a few of the other bartenders there as well, but we knew Mike the longest and always had a good time with him. He remembered our drinks the second time we ever saw him, which was a year after the first time. That's impressive.

We stopped by the Banana Cabana (perfect name as far as I'm concerned) last year but didn't see him, figured we'd just missed his shifts. This year, there was no bar seating (COVID) and we didn't see anyone we knew, so we weren't sure whether to bother or to just go on to the Riviera.

We decided to stop into the merch/food area. (Btw, my favorite fake cheesesteak sandwich was not on the mobile order menu. The food court area didn't even look open, but I didn't stop to investigate.) We shopped for a minute - I would have loved to buy a mini-Skyliner cabin ornament for the tree, but they weren't very mini! They looked just like the kind we would break in the first year, so I passed. I didn't buy this guy, either:

IMG_1008.jpg

We exited the shop and thought, what the heck, it's still early, let's get a drink at the Cabana. Still didn't recognize anyone, so we grabbed a table, an Old Fashioned, and a Crown and Diet.

IMG_1010.jpg

The Old Fashioned, of course, was mine. It was pretty good, strong, but I've had better. They used Maker's Mark, not my fave.

Anyway, the server mostly left us alone, but there was a brief discussion before we left, and he told us that Mike hadn't been there for like 2 years-ish (which explains last year, which you'll read more about in our 2019 TR, which I've now mentioned so many times I feel obligated to write up!) Apparently Mike was mostly at Old Key West (?) but sometimes on the Boardwalk. We don't have his contact info and weren't about to go a-hunting during this 2-day relaxing visit.

But while we were enjoying those cocktails, we did text our favorite Julie from the Tune-In Lounge. We had heard the Tune-In was closed or at least didn't have seating. I had contacted her a month or two ago to see how she was doing, and she was relatively upbeat about being furloughed and not worried about the situation yet. Now, she was. She was still furloughed and getting concerned. We invited her out for drinks on us, but she had plans, and we were only available that one night. We're definitely bummed for her. I hope they find a spot for her. We know bartenders (we have been bartenders) and I'm telling you, she's an exceptional one.

As I thought about writing this post last night, I decided to message another friend - her niece worked with Julie (as a server at the Prime Time) and the niece's husband is another exceptional "bartender" - I use quotes because he's way more informed than the average, especially with wines. We met him at the Flying Fish about 9 years ago (I remember because it was our 4 year anniversary, and one of the best dining experiences of our lives) and he ended up moving to V&A (which has been closed for awhile.)

The husband, after a period of furlough, has recently started working again somewhere in Disney Springs (I'm waiting to find out where) but was kind of anxious about it. His wife, OTOH, just got the email two days ago that she had to return her uniform by today. :cry:

I'm seriously thinking maybe we drive up for Brian's bday in early December just to go have dinner or drinks wherever he's working (hopefully it's not Paradiso 27!) and invite his wife and Julie along, and hopefully give them all a nice time on our points LOL. Better yet, maybe they're all working again by then. They really are going through it! It's one thing to hear about it on the news, it's another to hear people you know with this open-ended worry - especially heading into the holiday season.

/bummy post.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
but it's followed by drinks.
I guess the drinks came first. Actually, the drinks would come again momentarily, so I was technically accurate. OK, “bookended” by drinks. 🍹🙋🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🍸

We walked over to the Riviera. We remembered watching stages of it being built when we were staying at CBR.

We still looked like bums. I apologized to CMs for that - twice. 😆

We were still about a half hour early for our ADR. I kind of hoped they’d seat us early and we’d get back to Epcot sooner. Better still, they took us to the lounge. And yes, we could stand at the bar. 😊

I had their twist on an Old Fashioned.

8B3059FC-91BA-451E-9595-04A1AA70CD79.jpeg

Now we’re talking!

And Brian had...something. 🤣

The bartenders were very friendly. I’m sure if we had more time, we’d get along fine. 🥳

$60 later (including tip) staff invited us to wait out on the terrace until our table was ready. “Shall we?”

“Let’s!”

11D1F923-11A5-43DA-A187-F7C103330DB2.jpeg

Was Shirley here?

Nope, just us!

We took the time to enjoy the moment - the peace, the quiet, the view - and just appreciate it.

00D1064E-55B4-4FBE-86AA-4FC23A86E025.jpeg
52C59C27-B542-48D1-9FD5-4314935CA3C9.jpeg
C53F8118-B7C0-4686-9045-8649FDE99897.jpeg

Brian took a panoramic shot - I’ll have to get it from him and add later.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Our table was ready, and we were seated. Our server was Paul. I don’t typically remember servers’ names unless they are exceptional (or hot. 😂) Paul was not my type (🤣) but was exceptionally attentive and helpful. 👍🏻 for Paul.

I did not order more drinks. I did, however, just have to double-check my receipt to be sure of that before typing it - so clearly we didn’t need more drinks. (Who is this guy at my table again? Oh, Brian.)

We ordered from the (very) limited menu, a beet appetizer. Yes. Really. These were the only two options:

CF4F61EB-37C1-4737-9AAF-99CAA71AD8F7.jpeg

It looked better than it sounded:

A8E94198-EAC1-40BB-8AE6-406F26ACA2D0.jpeg

...and it tasted even better than that. This dish was a surprising home run. The flat white pieces are the lemon meringue. Oh - and there was a fab crunchy bread you can see in the background, pre-appetizer.

93boomer

Premium Member
Alright, there's a little bummery in this post regarding some of our favorite CM's, but it's followed by drinks.

After our flight in a cabin (I never did figure out which character was on it, believe it or not lol) we stopped at the good ol' Caribbean Beach Resort. We have stayed at this resort more than any other. One reason for that was Mike the bartender, since the old incarnation of the Banana Cabana, through the trailer version, and into the new version (which we knew he was not crazy about.)

View attachment 504122

(We love the way it looks, but it's not very functional for the staff.) We knew a few of the other bartenders there as well, but we knew Mike the longest and always had a good time with him. He remembered our drinks the second time we ever saw him, which was a year after the first time. That's impressive.

We stopped by the Banana Cabana (perfect name as far as I'm concerned) last year but didn't see him, figured we'd just missed his shifts. This year, there was no bar seating (COVID) and we didn't see anyone we knew, so we weren't sure whether to bother or to just go on to the Riviera.

We decided to stop into the merch/food area. (Btw, my favorite fake cheesesteak sandwich was not on the mobile order menu. The food court area didn't even look open, but I didn't stop to investigate.) We shopped for a minute - I would have loved to buy a mini-Skyliner cabin ornament for the tree, but they weren't very mini! They looked just like the kind we would break in the first year, so I passed. I didn't buy this guy, either:

View attachment 504123

We exited the shop and thought, what the heck, it's still early, let's get a drink at the Cabana. Still didn't recognize anyone, so we grabbed a table, an Old Fashioned, and a Crown and Diet.

View attachment 504121

The Old Fashioned, of course, was mine. It was pretty good, strong, but I've had better. They used Maker's Mark, not my fave.

Anyway, the server mostly left us alone, but there was a brief discussion before we left, and he told us that Mike hadn't been there for like 2 years-ish (which explains last year, which you'll read more about in our 2019 TR, which I've now mentioned so many times I feel obligated to write up!) Apparently Mike was mostly at Old Key West (?) but sometimes on the Boardwalk. We don't have his contact info and weren't about to go a-hunting during this 2-day relaxing visit.

But while we were enjoying those cocktails, we did text our favorite Julie from the Tune-In Lounge. We had heard the Tune-In was closed or at least didn't have seating. I had contacted her a month or two ago to see how she was doing, and she was relatively upbeat about being furloughed and not worried about the situation yet. Now, she was. She was still furloughed and getting concerned. We invited her out for drinks on us, but she had plans, and we were only available that one night. We're definitely bummed for her. I hope they find a spot for her. We know bartenders (we have been bartenders) and I'm telling you, she's an exceptional one.

As I thought about writing this post last night, I decided to message another friend - her niece worked with Julie (as a server at the Prime Time) and the niece's husband is another exceptional "bartender" - I use quotes because he's way more informed than the average, especially with wines. We met him at the Flying Fish about 9 years ago (I remember because it was our 4 year anniversary, and one of the best dining experiences of our lives) and he ended up moving to V&A (which has been closed for awhile.)

The husband, after a period of furlough, has recently started working again somewhere in Disney Springs (I'm waiting to find out where) but was kind of anxious about it. His wife, OTOH, just got the email two days ago that she had to return her uniform by today. :cry:

I'm seriously thinking maybe we drive up for Brian's bday in early December just to go have dinner or drinks wherever he's working (hopefully it's not Paradiso 27!) and invite his wife and Julie along, and hopefully give them all a nice time on our points LOL. Better yet, maybe they're all working again by then. They really are going through it! It's one thing to hear about it on the news, it's another to hear people you know with this open-ended worry - especially heading into the holiday season.

/bummy post.
The food court was all mobile ordering.
So sad. I hope it works out for all of them.

93boomer

Premium Member
I guess the drinks came first. Actually, the drinks would come again momentarily, so I was technically accurate. OK, “bookended” by drinks. 🍹🙋🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🍸

We walked over to the Riviera. We remembered watching stages of it being built when we were staying at CBR.

We still looked like bums. I apologized to CMs for that - twice. 😆

We were still about a half hour early for our ADR. I kind of hoped they’d seat us early and we’d get back to Epcot sooner. Better still, they took us to the lounge. And yes, we could stand at the bar. 😊

I had their twist on an Old Fashioned.

View attachment 504140

Now we’re talking!

And Brian had...something. 🤣

The bartenders were very friendly. I’m sure if we had more time, we’d get along fine. 🥳

$60 later (including tip) staff invited us to wait out on the terrace until our table was ready. “Shall we?”

“Let’s!”

View attachment 504141
Was Shirley here?

Nope, just us!

We took the time to enjoy the moment - the peace, the quiet, the view - and just appreciate it.

View attachment 504144View attachment 504143View attachment 504142
Brian took a panoramic shot - I’ll have to get it from him and add later.
Isn’t it beautiful? We loved the pool area. We walked through the Riveria from CBR every night. Their walking/running trail is around both resorts. Nice when the weather is good!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Time for entrees! Again, a relatively limited menu, considering they were representing two cuisines (Italian and French) but we presumed that was temporary for COVID.

Here’s the whole menu:

956ECADC-9B0E-49A4-81E1-AC117923E548.jpeg

Brian had the filet.

7C19098F-7657-4C03-A231-BD74819F012E.jpeg

And I had the lamb.

05280E38-DC2D-4A9D-AEFB-4F7203176A22.jpeg

...which I assure you is on the plate just below that tree branch!

Dinner was delicious. “You chose wisely.” (Indiana Jones reference.) (Now *he* is my type.)

Our only very minor “complaint” was both dishes were just a touch on the salty side - to us - we acknowledge we under-salt compared to the average person. But both very flavorful, solid dishes, beautifully prepared. The lamb shank echoed my fave Jiko dish, but with different flavoring. I loved it.

dizfan917

The official name for the Skyliner cars are “cabins.” It should be easy for you to remember (even after multiple Crown Royal Vanilla shots) since your inaugural ride was when you stayed in a Ft. Wilderness CABIN. 😁

Perhaps Shirley was denied a mask discount because she is not a FL resident? (Although shirley she could qualify for part-time status! :hilarious: )
I wasn't entitled to a DVC or an AP discount on my mask either... Hmmm...

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Here’s the three item dessert menu:

E73A222C-5E91-4C31-BAD8-C3FCF5B6B1FA.jpeg

Is this how all or most restaurants are now with menus this limited?

Since there wasn’t anything sugar free for Brian, and nothing that seemed “must do” to me (where are the bananas? 😀) we passed.

Also, it was time to get back to Epcot - that’s where our car was, and we hoped to squeeze in those few things we had skipped earlier.

Dinner was exactly what I’d hoped, and it was a very nice Skyliner trip back to the park. Unfortunately, it was about 6:45PM, and as previously mentioned, they closed at 7. Booths were already shutting down, we had basically missed it.

I tried to at least prioritize the schoolbread, but the little shop was closed, and the sign on the door made it seem like it’s usually closed (?) The sign said schoolbread was available at such and such a booth nearby.

That booth was closed.

Last minute Frozen ride? We were right there, but the line was way long. Even socially distanced, we probably didn’t have time to wait - Best Friends Pet Care closes an hour after the parks close.

Last minute 3 Amigos? It was now 7:0something PM, people were walking out of Mexico, we didn’t want to be “those guys.”

We were satisfied and happy - we had done all those things plenty of times - and were still a little leery about touching too much stuff.

By far, it’s the most we’ve ever paid for about 4 hours in a park - but at this point, it was worth every penny, er, point.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I wish our Epcot day was as long as today has felt! We did have a great time, if it had stayed open until the usual 9, that would have been icing on the cake.

Alas, our parting shot, taken October 1 at 7:10PM

E07A5308-1FFE-45CC-9502-47BC0EEF6AE5.jpeg

Ain’t she pretty?

We went and picked up the pup and headed back to our cabin. We had eaten enough. We drank enough. We did enough. We even rested enough. Brian was out like a light after a program or two. I played musical beds again (and couch this time, too.)

We briefly discussed doing something in the morning to stretch it out, but we knew it wasn’t the time. We had to get back to all that which we had escaped.

Here’s keeping hopes up for a December 3rd-ish visit (Hey, Tu! 😉) if things aren’t crazy then. Even just for dinner at DS. Although...these things have a way of going beyond what we originally plan. 👏🏻😀😍🤩

I wish I had more to share! Thanks for reading our quickie TR!

Club Cooloholic

Our table was ready, and we were seated. Our server was Paul. I don’t typically remember servers’ names unless they are exceptional (or hot. 😂) Paul was not my type (🤣) but was exceptionally attentive and helpful. 👍🏻 for Paul.

I did not order more drinks. I did, however, just have to double-check my receipt to be sure of that before typing it - so clearly we didn’t need more drinks. (Who is this guy at my table again? Oh, Brian.)

We ordered from the (very) limited menu, a beet appetizer. Yes. Really. These were the only two options:

View attachment 504148

It looked better than it sounded:

View attachment 504149

...and it tasted even better than that. This dish was a surprising home run. The flat white pieces are the lemon meringue. Oh - and there was a fab crunchy bread you can see in the background, pre-appetizer.
Big fan of a good beet salad, and that one is unlike any I have ever seen.

monykalyn

Sounds like a nice break for you guys!
We stayed in the cabins in June 2018, rented a golf cart. Almost disappointed you didn't have time to rent one-with your sense of direction and entertaining writing style...well then maybe I wouldn't have been the only one to go on a "walking path only" with a golf cart (I was stone cold sober too). But the cabins are really nice!!
Then we had a run-in with some white trash.
🤣 My oldest did a custodial internship at Disney (her first college program). To this day she cannot walk past a trash can with a lid like that-has to give it a quick punch to let the lid close, it's nearly a reflex now.

Great masks too!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Your quick TR was very enjoyable, and thank you for sharing the photos and observations. Really glad you were able to find a few available days for a getaway, considering all the other activities going on in both of your lives. (Plus, I always love it when Kylie also gets to go on "vacation" too! :joyfull: Yes, Kylie also needs a break from her "routine". ;) )

Just a note about the dessert menu you shared -- nothing at all sugar free? (Even if they had a line at the bottom of the menu that indicated something like, "Sugar free dessert available / please ask server.") I just can't imagine this oversight, considering conditions (such as diabetes, for example) are not all that uncommon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom