Trip Report 2 Broke Guys & A Dog get Ft Wilderness Cabin Fever (but not COVID-19!)

Yes, yes, it's been awhile. Yes, I'm still sitting on all of our 2019 trip reports. (Great stuff happened - take my word for it!) It will be fun to write those (eventually) because they are from a world before this world we couldn't have imagined at the time - so many WDWmagic meet & greets without masks or elbow bumps. I'll get to writing those eventually, but it's a big commitment of time, and I don't have so much of that lately. (That means - sigh of relief - business is good. It also means when business was bad/closed in the Spring, I worked more than ever and had even less time! If I was Waiting To Exhale, this little WDW trip I'm about to detail was that wonderful and much needed expulsion of a very deep breath.)

Who:

Me: Tony (bad pic in avatar. Will replace with a pic from this trip when done.)

Husband: Brian (I'm sure he'll love this candid shot.)
Brian Disney.JPG

Dog: Kylie. (Fresh pic just for this TR, posed about 30 seconds ago. 58 pounds of German Shepherd/Chow Chowness.)
Kylie.jpg

Where: Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Cabins (first time staying here! Booked last year but changed before going. Yes, they take pets!)

When: September 29-ish to October 2.

Why: hey, it's my day off, I can type whatever I want! Warning: it's short - really short - although if you know us, you know most of our trips are about that short. This time, it's a lot less jam-packed. But I'm telling ya, this trip was just what the doctor ordered.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I can see from my receipt at the Hall of Leftovers that it was already 2:30 by now.

Btw, at the first booth, I tried to pay with my magic band but was told it was “not authorized.” No biggie, I paid with my rewards points card. But I never found out why that happened. (The magic band worked the day before with the pulled pork sandwich.) I just continued using the rewards card to avoid that happening again.

On the way out of the HoL, there was a specialty merch area - but no masks. I didn’t buy anything, but stole a few shots.

69A48E88-49D3-4971-A6D9-536E4FC98C28.jpeg
A16CAA76-44B9-4AE5-86A9-C27F9704B5C0.jpeg
E7EB9C0E-3B1A-4450-B46B-B0C6913DCDF5.jpeg

There were things we kept passing and saying we’d come back to - attractions like the Three Amigos and Frozen, snacks like schoolbread (I talk about my first taste of that in my unpublished 2019 TR) and anything from the French bakery. But we kept walking. And time got away from us.

But not before we found some masks (with our 20% FL discount.)

54624E60-790D-4D02-A08E-44C26C63F906.jpeg

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
The masks were downright cheap - about $5 each after discount. So I also grabbed a baby Yoda one and a navy one with little Mickey head silhouettes on them.

3026F0BB-2CD8-4889-BF05-F0448B558135.jpeg

These were size Large. They were slightly tighter and therefore warmer (and therefore more effective) than my non-Disney cloth masks - but so much more fun and with easy nose coverage. And these I don’t mind as a 2020 keepsake.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
We walked a little more, but one thing we didn’t want to end up doing was rushing to get to dinner. We tossed around the ideas of doing more Epcot vs. stopping at CBR on the way to the Riviera.

In bringing collared shirts with us, I thought I had thought of everything so we wouldn’t look like bums at dinner. Everything, that is, except walking from World Showcase to the car to get the shirts, and then back to World Showcase to take the Skyliner.

There was no way were skipping the Skyliner, so bums we were! We figured we’d just take the Skyliner back to Epcot afterwards and squeeze in a few last minute things before they close.

I was already on the comfortably full and comfortably buzzed side. And we had about 90 minutes until dinner. Hmm...what to do...

93boomer

Premium Member
Remember: all diets are off at WDW!

First booth: chosen because it was the first one we stumbled across once we found our way out of the labyrinth - this was not a country.

The menu:

View attachment 503770
We ordered both the corned beef and the skirt steak, and split a swine brine.

View attachment 503771
We both preferred the steak, but both were good - and the brine was fine! This was the second time I’ve had a meat garnish in a drink, and it’s a mixed bag. It tastes good, but the ice cubes give it an odd texture.

Being our first table, it was a little awkward - we didn’t want to touch anything, put forks down, etc lol. I would have loved a wipe dispenser or something. We did appreciate that there were more tables than usual, including some with chairs. 👍🏻

Continuing the animal theme, this creature struck a pose as we walked to our next destination.

View attachment 503774
We had no planned route, just stopped at each booth and ordered something if it struck our fancy. No hurry. No nonsense. People mostly stayed out of our way, but there were some clueless/brazen folks. (Feel free to substitute a similar sounding word for “folks.” No matter how long I live in FL, I’ll still always be from Jersey.)
Take a travel pack of Lysol wipes next time. Comes in handy😉

93boomer

Premium Member
I can see from my receipt at the Hall of Leftovers that it was already 2:30 by now.

Btw, at the first booth, I tried to pay with my magic band but was told it was “not authorized.” No biggie, I paid with my rewards points card. But I never found out why that happened. (The magic band worked the day before with the pulled pork sandwich.) I just continued using the rewards card to avoid that happening again.

On the way out of the HoL, there was a specialty merch area - but no masks. I didn’t buy anything, but stole a few shots.

View attachment 503812View attachment 503813View attachment 503814

There were things we kept passing and saying we’d come back to - attractions like the Three Amigos and Frozen, snacks like schoolbread (I talk about my first taste of that in my unpublished 2019 TR) and anything from the French bakery. But we kept walking. And time got away from us.

View attachment 503816
We had the same thing happen with Magicbands and gift cards. I had to put a lot on my credit card because the system kept going down. Ps I had a ton left over on my disney rewards card. 🤨

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
We had the same thing happen with Magicbands and gift cards. I had to put a lot on my credit card because the system kept going down. Ps I had a ton left over on my disney rewards card. 🤨
We have a good amount left. By the time I charge all my holiday retail inventory, we should be in good shape for 2021. 😀
Lucky you got a discount on the masks. I was told NO when I bought one in July and NO again in August. 😡
Allow me to introduce you to Shirley...😆

Do you recall what day of the week it was? This was a Thursday, and the CM specifically reminded me that we wouldn’t have gotten the discount the next day. No Fri/Sat/Sun.
Why have chairs been outlawed?!
We were actually sitting at a table. Most of the tables with chairs were to the left of the pic. The center area had only the taller tables with no chairs.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Hmm...what to do...
Let’s try something new!
B8E6754D-D7D3-4840-AF53-1C547FE3720E.jpeg

We had stayed at CBR (one of our favorites) early in the construction process, and again when they were in the testing phase. I used to watch them run, kind of mesmerized.

22254A8E-2411-41E2-83F9-479D6FA3B751.jpeg

We can fly, we can fly, we can fly!

First bunk beds, now this. 😉

The Skyliner was a completely enjoyable experience. Again this was not 90 degrees in burning sun. It was in the low 80’s and cloudy. There was a continuous breeze coming from the upper part of the pod. (Pod? Car? Podcar? Something else?)

And it was fun to look out for the characters on the other cars. There, “cars.” Let’s go with that.
C51516ED-FCE2-48DD-864E-0C9C8FD2CAB3.jpeg
6BBF5E75-D36F-4063-893C-E90E1B89A68E.jpeg

I’m sure to some of you this is old hat and feels like a bus ride by now, but we really dug our first ride!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The official name for the Skyliner cars are “cabins.” It should be easy for you to remember (even after multiple Crown Royal Vanilla shots) since your inaugural ride was when you stayed in a Ft. Wilderness CABIN. 😁

Perhaps Shirley was denied a mask discount because she is not a FL resident? (Although shirley she could qualify for part-time status! :hilarious: )

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Got a chuckle out of your "view" from the top bunk, and how funny it was that Kylie had to look around to see where your voice was coming from?! :joyfull: 🐶

This was the second time I’ve had a meat garnish in a drink, and it’s a mixed bag. It tastes good, but the ice cubes give it an odd texture.
Somehow, a meat garnish in a drink would really turn me off. You're brave -- not sure I would have even tried it. ;)

I burst out laughing at this photo of the two of you wearing your exquisitely designed new masks! :hilarious:

DisneyGigi

A Tony report!!!

I am late, I am always late. 😑 Following along.

Sorry for the likes bomb. 😑

I feel really bad because I encouraged you to stay at CBR over the Cabins last year. Our cabin wasn’t ready until like 6:00 when we stayed and they did a really quick aka, not really cleaned. I am glad you gave it a try and enjoyed it though. Just goes to show sometimes things are a little off and can still be good other times.

I love the bunk bed story. ❤️ The one time when I got to sleep in the top bunk with my sister, I fell out. I still think she pushed me out. But maybe I am just bitter. Lol

The food looks amazing, but that Swine Brine? 🤢 The texture of the fat on the ice. I couldn’t handle it.

I think, I may recognize that special events area. ;)

So glad you guys got to go and you are doing a report! I miss your reports.

Thoughts and love to you guys with B’s dad. ❤️

2020 has been rough for most of us, I think. 2021, Here is hoping to a .....
D621D804-AE70-492C-A060-992E1B00A7A0.gif

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Sorry for the likes bomb.
Oh, I love a good likes bomb.
I feel really bad because I encouraged you to stay at CBR over the Cabins last year.
I never would have remembered that. 🤣

CBR is where we were meant to be last year, and it’s a half price sale from the Cabins, so we extended the trip! Perfect.
The one time when I got to sleep in the top bunk with my sister, I fell out.
😵
I think, I may recognize that special events area.
😉👏🏻
Thoughts and love to you guys with B’s dad.
Thanks. 💕 Today was 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
A Tony report!!!

I am late, I am always late. 😑 Following along.

Sorry for the likes bomb. 😑

I feel really bad because I encouraged you to stay at CBR over the Cabins last year. Our cabin wasn’t ready until like 6:00 when we stayed and they did a really quick aka, not really cleaned. I am glad you gave it a try and enjoyed it though. Just goes to show sometimes things are a little off and can still be good other times.

I love the bunk bed story. ❤️ The one time when I got to sleep in the top bunk with my sister, I fell out. I still think she pushed me out. But maybe I am just bitter. Lol

The food looks amazing, but that Swine Brine? 🤢 The texture of the fat on the ice. I couldn’t handle it.

I think, I may recognize that special events area. ;)

So glad you guys got to go and you are doing a report! I miss your reports.

Thoughts and love to you guys with B’s dad. ❤️

2020 has been rough for most of us, I think. 2021, Here is hoping to a .....
View attachment 504037
giphy.gif

Because why not? The bunk beds were so small!!! Whats up with that???
@Billy6 ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom