1986: An Imagineering Competition - HYPE THREAD

TwilightZone

Well, it's nice to hear that some higher-ups at Disney do genuinely care about entertainment at the parks. Yes, there is still hope that entertainment will continue to thrive! Which show(s) do you think they'll bring back first?

A scaled down fantamic I could see being possible

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Speaking of Second Gates....

Not much really coming out of this but
1605829684222.png

The energy this is going to add to the lagoon in the daytime is going to be outstanding.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
View attachment 514474
Hong Kong's castle has completed it's transformation and she's a beaut
When two castles love each other very much...

Here's what the castle looks like at night. Notice how the original Sleeping Beauty Castle left-center and central towers are lit in pink, perhaps a wink to the original Hong Kong castle.
b95b2eeb-ae87-4fba-8be6-4b884b3edc79-jpeg.514479

I admit this castle is kinda growing on me especially with the details on the princesses/queens' turrets/towers, but I still think this castle is a "seems on great on paper, but so-so on execution" project.

I get why they retained the original castle (poetically it's a bow to the past; more likely, it's due to budget constraints), but as @Mickeynerd17 points out, it's hard to unsee the old castle from the new. A poignant statement perhaps, to emphasize the growth of the little Disney resort that could. In addition, I suppose the original Imagineering intention of creating yin and yang or balance within the resort (as detailed in The Imagineering Story) extended to the design of this castle, seeing as the color yellow is considered such a representation of yin and yang and is considered to be a prestigious and most beautiful color in Chinese culture. Throw in the blue (teal in this case, but hey, they're in the same family; also, some towers use blue roofs anyway), symbolizing prosperity and harmony, and you'll see Disney's and the Hong Kong Government's intention for the resort: for it to live long and prosper.

Despite that, I still would've preferred they tore down the original castle, save several elements of it as future Easter eggs, and actually gave Hong Kong a brand new, designed from scratch, castle instead. CMD, as I've mentioned, may be a poignant statement of personal growth, but a totally new castle could've relaunched the park better and finally free it from Anaheim's shadow in my opinion.

Last edited:

Chaos Cat

I was hoping someone would point this out for me, but as you can see, I decided to let Space take my robot body for a spin. Yeah, turns out that being a robot is murder on the joints. Not 100% sold on how well Space can do the housework, though. He spent all of last night practicing the violin for some reason. Don't worry, though; I've taken the liberty of hiring a "cleaner" to take care of things, especially for @PerGron, the messy lad.

su31fjde1ja31.jpg
Not to sound like I'm begging for reaction points here, but I find it hilarious that I posted this and practically nobody batted an eye. Like, most of you are so used to my antics that at this point it's like:

6b31feaf9645844acc2e45593b7a9990.jpg

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
The new season of Animaniacs is up.

Only watched the first two episodes so far, gonna space it out. But I really loved it! Perfectly captured the style and charm of the original while modernizing it. Smartly written jokes and commentary, but the first and foremost priority is to just be zany to the max. Exactly what I wanted from it so far!

View attachment 514474
Hong Kong's castle has completed it's transformation and she's a beaut
I still hate it, but less than I did before. It gets point for creativity. And for not being an ugly brick cube like Shanghai (though I've heard that one is better in person). And for being unique to the park.

This week's Mandalorian out of context:
View attachment 514483
Fantastic Episode btw.

PerGron

So a little self plug here, but I've been editing vlogs I made back in February of 2019 and this one is pretty fun. I uploaded it 3 weeks ago but just today I realized half the sound wasn't working, so I fixed that.

If y'all wanna see my absolute level of Zoo nerdiness, check it out if you want to. I'm working on part 2 now, so I remembered it and figured I'd share since it's a unique project I've been working on

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom