1986: An Imagineering Competition - Hub Thread

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Week 3
Power of Veto Competition
Meet and Smile

1602117797912.png

Fantasyland is the place where Disney characters live and play and where visitors can meet those classic characters. Your Power of Veto challenge will be to create a new Meet and Greet facility that fits your Fantasyland. It is your choice where you can put this Meet and Greet and you may choose any character or character family you like to inhabit this location.

You will be scored on a rubric of:
Creativity: 10 points
Realism: 10 points
Detail: 5 points

The project will be due on Friday, October 9 at Noon EST/9 a.m. PST

The people competing in this week's Power of Veto competition are...

Head of Household
@AceAstro

Nominees
@pix
@NigelChanning09

Hat Pulls
House Guest Choice (Ace): @Outbound
@Brer Panther
@D Hindley

Outbound

Week 3
Power of Veto Competition
Meet and Smile

1602117797912.png

Fantasyland is the place where Disney characters live and play and where visitors can meet those classic characters. Your Power of Veto challenge will be to create a new Meet and Greet facility that fits your Fantasyland. It is your choice where you can put this Meet and Greet and you may choose any character or character family you like to inhabit this location.

You will be scored on a rubric of:
Creativity: 10 points
Realism: 10 points
Detail: 5 points

The project will be due on Friday, October 9 at Noon EST/9 a.m. PST

The people competing in this week's Power of Veto competition are...

Head of Household
@AceAstro

Nominees
@pix
@NigelChanning09

Hat Pulls
House Guest Choice (Ace): @Outbound
@Brer Panther
@D Hindley
I just did this xd

NigelChanning

Also, I do not mind talking game:

@pix and @NigelChanning09 I think you are both great players! The only reason I nominated the two of you is I believe the Autumn area was the weakest of the areas. I know you are both better than this so I fully expect the veto to be used this week. Good luck to all players!
No problem. Between the Autumn area and the E-ticket, my work didn’t come out great for the Autumn section.

Mickeynerd17

Welp......

My insta follower count has dropped from 80 to 77. I really need to wrap up Wonder of Life and get V10 published lol. Don't expect me to model much for awhile in the comp.

Don't any of you even think that I'm dropping out, I'll still be active as ever, just in different areas now.

EDIT: if you want to follow me, my insta is Mickeynerd17_Productions

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Bullet points!
  • First thing's first: Dinseyland? Y'all are better than this!
  • Snow White's Cellar is a wonderful twist on the castle restaurant. Obstensively princess-based but, befitting the darker and more mature park, it's a more mature "grown-up" take on it. That menu is wonderful as well.
  • Princess Plaza is obvious but, again, darker and more mature. There's something aesthetically pleasing to me about the cast costumes for the plaza being knights. Sir Suire would probably end up being a fan favorite as well.
  • Merlin's Magic Academy is what BBB should be! The concept is wonderful but restricting it solely to princesses has never sat right with me. This is something I could see extended to all the BBBs for a major rebranding.
  • The stores and food cart are wonderful but I'm gonna echo what space said: these all could have been in one tab.
  • Mjolnir was unexpected but fits the area shockingly well. I think that Thor could very well end up the Peter Pan/Mad Hatter of Blue Sky Disneyland which is surprising but honestly not unwelcome as a twist on the typical roaming characters of Fantasyland. Part of me hopes that the tradition of roaming characters in Fantasyland is alive and well here despite not being in the writeups.
  • The Snow White Castle Tour, again, a wonderful more mature twist on the castle walkthrough with a bit of edutainment thrown in for good measure.
  • If the Castle Courtyard is the introduction, the Garden of the Seasons is the thesis. The Season Tree and the carousel is an incredibly beautiful mental image and I can just envision the amazing kinetic energy delivered in this section.
  • Mary Poppins is an obvious choice but it's done so well here I'm not mad. The carousel ride system is something I've frequently thought about for a Mary Poppins ride. It's an iconic part of the movie and an obvious yet creative ride vehicle.
  • I'm weak for roaming AAs so Bambi in the forest has me absolutely in love with this section.
  • London Spring as a whole is just so wonderfully charming. It's retro, modern, and timeless in its execution.
  • Again, I'm gonna echo space when I say that Robin Hood and Tangled fit together far better than you'd think.
  • Snuggly Duckling is unexpected but great. I don't quite see the point in it being a 3D show when it could have been a live show but that's a nitpick.
  • The Festival Tents are a fun touch of atmosphere that I wish the land had more of. In fact, my single critique of Summer Festival is the lack of atmosphere in the write-up when this land has some of the most obvious atmosphere stuff! Do we have Rapunzel and Eugene or the Robin Hood characters roaming about? Do the pub thugs come out and play music? It's something that the miniland doesn't really need but would add SO MUCH.
  • Fall Forest is the oddball of the land. I do think that it may well be the weakest of the four seasons but on ideas alone, it's quite interesting. Pocahontas and Nightmare Before Christmas are another oddball pairing but there's something about the atmosphere of those two that works well and is really wonderful. The rides also feel like Fantasyland, if that makes sense.
  • Arendale is obvious for winter and I quite like it. I love the inclusion of Anna and Elsa changing to their Olaf's Frozen Adventure costumes during Christmas but I'd extend it further. Anna and Elsa have costumes that fit every season: Frozen costumes for Winter, Frozen Fever costumes for Spring, Coronation Day costumes for Summer, and Frozen II costumes for Fall, on top of the Christmas dresses. Use that sheer variety to your benefit because it naturally encourages people to come back throughout the year. Nitpicks, all things considered.
  • The ride is really wonderful. Frozen is just naturally made to translate well to attractions imo because the movies have such wonderful settings.
  • Holiday Village is out of nowhere for me, but it makes so much sense. Mickey's Christmas Carol is incredibly beloved, so it makes sense to include a dark ride for that. I also like the idea of the Once Upon a Wintertime whip ride. It's small but it'd add a lot of kinetic energy to a land that might be missing it.
  • Once Upon A Dream is a wonderful cap to Seasons of Fantasy. It ties into the backstory of the land but it's also a wonderful celebration of the princesses that doesn't try to make something out of them that they are not. Small nitpick: Shanghai Pirates isn't trackless. That said, Disney has done a trackless water ride before with Aquatopia so it definitely is possible.
  • Overall, Seasons of Fantasy is my favorite land so far and a major step up. I'm a sucker for Fantasyland anyway but you've created a wonderful evolution of the concept that twists the tropes but still keeps the area timeless.

AceAstro

Jack & Sally (with some bonuses)

Halloween at the Disney parks is always incredible because it allows guests to meet characters they might not otherwise see. Rock and Roll Stitch (AKA Elvis Stitch), Lotso, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and, of course, Jack Skellington and Sally.

1602194217176.png

With a whole section of Seasons of Fantasy themed to fall, it is the perfect opportunity to take advantage of some of these rarer Halloween characters.

Adjacent to the exit of the Halloween Town Treasures, guests can find a backdrop of Jack Skellington's house complete with a few physical gravestones in front of it. Here, guests can meet Jack and Sally throughout the day.

NBC MandG.png

Now, of course, Jack and Sally can't meet guests all day long. To appease that, the area will use the really cool effect WDW does known as "Magic Shot" where it adds details to the photo after it is taken. In this case, Zero is added to the picture afterward making it still seem as if guests met him.

NBC MandG Zero.png

Lastly, the idea of holiday exclusive characters is still important and with a movie like this that fits so perfectly into the theme, it should still be executed when possible. For that, during the Halloween season, Disneyland Paris' Oogie Boogie costume is brought out to meet alongside Jack and Sally (and sometimes alone depending the time)!

OogieNBC MandG.png

By taking advantage of the different seasons of Fantasyland, guests can now meet characters year-round that they could only see at certain times in the other parks.​

pix

Jack & Sally (with some bonuses)

Halloween at the Disney parks is always incredible because it allows guests to meet characters they might not otherwise see. Rock and Roll Stitch (AKA Elvis Stitch), Lotso, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and, of course, Jack Skellington and Sally.

View attachment 503797

With a whole section of Seasons of Fantasy themed to fall, it is the perfect opportunity to take advantage of some of these rarer Halloween characters.

Adjacent to the exit of the Halloween Town Treasures, guests can find a backdrop of Jack Skellington's house complete with a few physical gravestones in front of it. Here, guests can meet Jack and Sally throughout the day.

View attachment 503798

Now, of course, Jack and Sally can't meet guests all day long. To appease that, the area will use the really cool effect WDW does known as "Magic Shot" where it adds details to the photo after it is taken. In this case, Zero is added to the picture afterward making it still seem as if guests met him.

View attachment 503805

Lastly, the idea of holiday exclusive characters is still important and with a movie like this that fits so perfectly into the theme, it should still be executed when possible. For that, during the Halloween season, Disneyland Paris' Oogie Boogie costume is brought out to meet alongside Jack and Sally (and sometimes alone depending the time)!

View attachment 503806

By taking advantage of the different seasons of Fantasyland, guests can now meet characters year-round that they could only see at certain times in the other parks.​

... *rips out sketchbook page and frantically brainstorms a new idea* F*CK

goofyyukyuk

GOOFY'S FIRST REVIEW: SEASONS OF FANTASY
So I wrote a review as I read through the project and then it ended up being 4 pages long... so I'm going to condense it here, hitting the important stuff. I came into this completely blind because I got behind on brainstorming after day 1, so anything I write is like the initial thoughts I had for whatever I'm talking about.
I’ll be honest, I was really interested in the musical fantasyland idea because my initial thought with the seasons idea was that it was going to be too large of a land to feasibly fit inside of a park. I think one of the easy things to get pulled into is overcomplicating things and not considering that it doesn’t make sense for every land to have a bunch of mini-lands, so I’m hoping that this pulls it off in the realism department. I’m also hoping that wherever this park is located, it actually has four seasons lol… so now I’ll get into the project itself.
  • I love the tree concept, which I'm guessing came from D Hindley based on the style, and it looks great! Immediately though, I'm seeing six sub-lands so I'm hoping there's a map in here that clears things up a bit.
  • Great idea with the Castle Tour, but I wish there was concept art or pics from the movie to help me visualize what there is in the tour.
  • The rest of the courtyard is very unique and descriptive... the gazebo idea is cool and original especially. I feel like Mjolnir is really out of place with the princess area though.
  • I like using the less common IPs of Bambi and Mary Poppins for the spring area. The queue going through the Banks’ house is a great idea, especially with all the moving stuff happening! The pre-show is a great idea as well! I just read through the entire ride description and I love it! It’s very similar to what I think Tony Baxter has been trying to get Disney to do for a long time, but that’s completely okay because it works flawlessly in my opinion! I like Flower's Flower Shop but I don't feel like it's practical because I don't see guests buying flowers in the park in the middle of the day (side note: I just realized Flower is a boy). I like the Thumper Launch, but I'm confused about the layout... like is it a bunch of towers and Thumper is in the middle? I'm also wondering if there's a major distinction between the Mad Tea Party and the picnic because they seem really similar in my opinion.
  • I don't understand the description of the Rapunzel queue as "nothing special", so I'd avoid using that descriptor in the future. For both the Rapunzel and Robin Hood attractions, I initially knocked them because of their traditionality, but then I realized that there needs to be a balance between more advanced rides like the Mary Poppins one and these classic type dark rides, but they both have great concepts! With the Snuggly Duckling show, I don't understand why it needs to be 4D. Based on the description, it seems like it could be a standard show a la Impressions de France, so I wish there was more of an explanation of why this is a 4D show and what makes it special.
  • I love the pre-show and skeleton camera thing for the Nightmare attraction, but I wish there was more concept art because like I said earlier, it's better having concept art in addition to descriptions rather than just a block of text. I like the dining experience a lot, and I really really really really wish there was more description on the Pocahontas River Run because it's one of my favorite concepts in this project. All in all, I wish this area was more detailed because the concepts are fantastic. I’m also curious as to why Nightmare was so central to the land when Pocahontas was sort of glossed over, especially when you could’ve changed fall the season to fall as in THE SKY IS FALLING!!!
  • 1602198582611.png
  • For Winter Mountain, I love the Anna's Sleighs attraction because it seems like a cooler, more thrilling version of Frozen Ever After. I also like this trend of elevating character meet and greets like we've seen in this project and that we're seeing in the veto project.
  • In the Christmas Village, I'd just love to live here... there's so much to love here, like just the environment is great, and the Christmas Carol Attraction seems so cool, not to mention the different stores and everything. It really screams Christmas and I love it!
  • On the central area, I didn't realize there were attractions there, so I really like the idea of putting classic Fantasyland flat rides on the island but theming them in innovative ways (I particularly like the Mushroom Dance addition), and the trash cans and napkins are great haha! I was impressed with the level of detail on this section, but it really makes me wish there was more of a description in the fall section to be honest.
So I'm just gonna copy and paste the last part of my review straight from my doc instead of trying to condense it because I think you'll enjoy part of it and also I don't know how I would condense my final words.

"Jeez there’s still more? I thought there were only 4 seasons lol… ohhhhh it’s an E-Ticket… that isn’t in any of the areas? Okay, this is a cool idea already. I love that Snow White is like hosting everyone… great preshow idea!!! Perfect lineup there! I like giving credit to the sidekicks! Dudes and dudettes, I’ve gotta be honest, I’m feeling like inspired reading the description haha… just starting out with Mulan, Anna, and Moana scenes. Brooooooooo….. broooooooooo….. I don’t even care, I just read through the rest of the ride… holy cannoli I love this so freaking much! Honestly, I need this to be a real attraction. Seriously. Fantastic work to whoever did this! Best part of the land in my opinion!"

"Okay so I’m just gonna add my final thoughts on the land as a whole. I love the concept. I wasn’t sold on it before, but I love it. I think you did a great job tying together all these different characters and stories around the seasons idea and I’d love to see this in person. My major criticism is what I said at the start: “I think one of the easy things to get pulled into is overcomplicating things and not considering that it doesn’t make sense for every land to have a bunch of mini-lands, so I’m hoping that this pulls it off in the realism department.” As much as I love everything you did, I don’t think a land of this magnitude could ever be built. Six, count em, SIX SUBLANDS (and I think that you could count Arendelle and Christmas Village as separate ones to be honest)… I mean, in my opinion, this is a theme park in and of itself if you add a few more attractions to it. I don’t know how you would condense it either… like everything here is great, and the concept is so vast that you need this much space. Just in my opinion, it’s too much… I think there’s close to 15 attractions in this land alone, which is more than Hollywood Studios has lol… I completely understand that with this many people, you have to have stuff for everyone to do, and maybe because I’m newer to these competitions, I have different expectations than other judges (I haven’t read anybody else’s reviews), but I’d urge you guys to try and keep things more realistic in future lands because they’re lands, not parks. That being said, this is a remarkable feat of armchair Imagineering, and I am so impressed that you were able to do this much, this well, in so little time, so my hat is off to all of you! Well done!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom