1986: An Imagineering Competition - Hub Thread

NateD1226

Guess who's a reviewer!
tiffany pollard im here GIF

NateD1226's Reveiws

Brer Panther-Seasons of Fantasy
Everything looked great! Starting off with Spring, it was really nice to see even more focus on Nature as Ace really hit it out of the park with that section to begin with. As Jokers said, the Fantasia bit doesn’t really work. To me, Fantasia being represented in any other place other than the garden just doesn’t feel right. As for Summer, I think you should’ve added maybe one more new thing along with your replacements because the subland was said to lack cohesion and not as extravagant as other lands. Autumn was nicely done so I don’t really have to say much about it. Winter was great (even though you got rid of Frozen), but I would’ve loved to hear about more things in the North Pole. Overall, I think your additions to each subland was great, but, to me, each subland either needed a little more or little less.
Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 4/5
Total: 21/25

NigelChanning09-Christmas Town

Christmas Town is such an iconic part of NBC which is nice to see it get some representation. Before I get into the actual project, I just want to say that the post could have been formatted just a little better. It’s a small nitpick, but I just wanted to get that out of the way. As for the content itself, it was great. There are a few realistic things that need to be worked on. You stated in the beginning that it was a mini-land that was a transition to fall and winter. But then you mention later there is a rollercoaster. Since you aren’t replacing anything in the Winter area, I don’t think it was the best thing to make a coaster when there is one in the Frozen area right next door. Other than the realism part, everything was great and creative. The idea was there, but I don’t think it was fully executed in the best way it could’ve been.
Creativity: 8/10
Realism: 7/10
Total: 19/25

Outbound PerGron-Adventure Atoll: Year 10

I totally did not have the review addressed to Outbound at first...Anyway, this is a very ambitious project for just a pitch. Starting off, I think Adventure Atoll was a good choice as that land did have a lot of ideas that weren’t fully connected. The Harbortown bit was nice but I don’t think it was really needed as it’s added into the project already. The rest of the ride and experience changes were great and really fit the whole land well. I really appreciate the love on Escape of the Gem Dragon as that was kinda rushed in writing. I also really loved the new addition of the show. It really helped the balance or replacements and new additions. Overall, this was a great submission with lots of great additions to the land
Creativity: 10/10
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 5/5
Total: 24/25

PerGron Outbound- Tenet the Ride
I have not seen the movie yet, but I know a little about it so I was excited to see what you did. Realistically speaking, I doubt Disney would ever build a ride based on Tenet or use all that fancy tech stuff. That doesn’t take away how much I liked it. It was definitely unique and different from what we usually see in ambitious E-Ticket rides. Along with this ride, I would’ve loved to have seen a little more additions just so it fit the prompt better. Overall, this ride is a great addition to the land, but I just think it needed a little more to it so it fit the prompt better.
Total: 20/25

b-wolf95- Summer Festival
It’s the other part of the duo! Great to see that you went back into the land we worked on and added more amazing things to it. This whole project was simple, but effective. You took what the judges said and fixed the problem. There are just a few realism problems on where you put things around that deal with transitions between the area, but they are very nitpicky. I would have also loved to see you go into the Tangled area a bit more and see what you had to add about it. I understand why you didn't, but I would’ve loved to see your additions to the land. The whole Renaissance vibe is very unique to a Disney park, but I absolutely love it! Overall, this is another great project and I think fit the land well.
Creativity: 8.5/10
Realism: 8.5/10

Mickeynerd17-CenterCore Expo Overhaul

Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, put it in a blender, on it, vomit on it, eat it, give birth to it.

Ok for the actual review, I thought it was hilarious. In a good way obviously. It was very fun, but also very scary because this is something I could see Chapek doing. A minor nitpick is that I think the formatting of the post could have been just a little bit better so there aren’t pictures that are super small and some other pictures being huge. Other than that, it was very fun.
Realism: 7.5/10
Detail: 4.5/5

NigelChanning

Christmas Town is such an iconic part of NBC which is nice to see it get some representation. Before I get into the actual project, I just want to say that the post could have been formatted just a little better. It’s a small nitpick, but I just wanted to get that out of the way. As for the content itself, it was great. There are a few realistic things that need to be worked on. You stated in the beginning that it was a mini-land that was a transition to fall and winter. But then you mention later there is a rollercoaster. Since you aren’t replacing anything in the Winter area, I don’t think it was the best thing to make a coaster when there is one in the Frozen area right next door. Other than the realism part, everything was great and creative. The idea was there, but I don’t think it was fully executed in the best way it could’ve been.
I completely understand the roller coaster part. The idea was to make it a small scale family coaster that was for kids who aren’t tall enough for Frozen. A sort of introduction to coasters if you will. But, I definitely could’ve communicated that better! Thanks for the feedback!

spacemt354

Chili's
Brer Panther - your candor and personalized presentation format was very endearing. And at some points pretty funny especially the dig at Frozen. I think this presentation shows how many interpretations of Seasons of Fantasy there could be - it is such a broad yet distinct theme that one can really get creative with the format. I think you made some small, yet solid changes to bring the realism of the land which was a contested affair down to a more manageable level. You were able to keep the spirit of the original while still putting your own flair on the land such as the NBC hay ride among others. Overall, another solid entry!

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 4/5
----------------------
Total - 22/25

Nigel - I think arguably this is the most realistic of the pitches, which I know may sound contradictory to other reviews (perhaps the one you just read* 😅 ) but this is why the more feedback you get the better. Because to me, realistically NBC is more than just Halloween, because if it was just Halloween, then there would be no Christmas overlay of HM in Disneyland. So to expand with this, given a scenario where NBC was popular, I think was a good move.

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 10/10
Detail - 4/5
----------------------
Total - 23/25

PerGron - Adventure Atoll was your brainchild and I think you did a great job with this expanding on the lore but more importantly I think for anyone who might have been mixed on it the first time, I think this went a long way to making the land as cohesive as possible.

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 4/5
----------------------
Total - 24/25

Outbound - I still haven't see this movie 🙃 at this point I might as well wait for it digitally. So it will be tough to grade in that regard, and moreover it seems a little out of left field for Disney to go this route. That said, my first ever post on the imagineer forum back in 2012 was an Inception redo of Imagination, so, I can't be too harsh.

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 8/10
Detail - 5/5
---------------------
Total - 22/25

b-wolf - Overall I think this fit the land well, I don't want to say it was simple in a negative sense, but simple in the fact that you got to the point and cogently explained your reasonings.

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 4/5
----------------------
Total - 23/25

Mickeynerd - I see you are catching on to how we do things around here. 😅 We will be watching your career with great interest. Chicken Little? It's a good gag, but if it was expecting to win, I'm not sure what to tell you lol. Very creative though.

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 7/10
Detail - 4/5
------------------------
Total - 21/25

Mickeynerd17

Guess who's a reviewer!
tiffany pollard im here GIF

NateD1226's Reveiws

Brer Panther-Seasons of Fantasy
Everything looked great! Starting off with Spring, it was really nice to see even more focus on Nature as Ace really hit it out of the park with that section to begin with. As Jokers said, the Fantasia bit doesn’t really work. To me, Fantasia being represented in any other place other than the garden just doesn’t feel right. As for Summer, I think you should’ve added maybe one more new thing along with your replacements because the subland was said to lack cohesion and not as extravagant as other lands. Autumn was nicely done so I don’t really have to say much about it. Winter was great (even though you got rid of Frozen), but I would’ve loved to hear about more things in the North Pole. Overall, I think your additions to each subland was great, but, to me, each subland either needed a little more or little less.
Realism: 8/10

Outbound PerGron-Adventure Atoll: Year 10
I totally did not have the review addressed to Outbound at first...Anyway, this is a very ambitious project for just a pitch. Starting off, I think Adventure Atoll was a good choice as that land did have a lot of ideas that weren’t fully connected. The Harbortown bit was nice but I don’t think it was really needed as it’s added into the project already. The rest of the ride and experience changes were great and really fit the whole land well. I really appreciate the love on Escape of the Gem Dragon as that was kinda rushed in writing. I also really loved the new addition of the show. It really helped the balance or replacements and new additions. Overall, this was a great submission with lots of great additions to the land
Total: 24/25

PerGron Outbound- Tenet the Ride
I have not seen the movie yet, but I know a little about it so I was excited to see what you did. Realistically speaking, I doubt Disney would ever build a ride based on Tenet or use all that fancy tech stuff. That doesn’t take away how much I liked it. It was definitely unique and different from what we usually see in ambitious E-Ticket rides. Along with this ride, I would’ve loved to have seen a little more additions just so it fit the prompt better. Overall, this ride is a great addition to the land, but I just think it needed a little more to it so it fit the prompt better.

b-wolf95- Summer Festival
It’s the other part of the duo! Great to see that you went back into the land we worked on and added more amazing things to it. This whole project was simple, but effective. You took what the judges said and fixed the problem. There are just a few realism problems on where you put things around that deal with transitions between the area, but they are very nitpicky. I would have also loved to see you go into the Tangled area a bit more and see what you had to add about it. I understand why you didn't, but I would’ve loved to see your additions to the land. The whole Renaissance vibe is very unique to a Disney park, but I absolutely love it! Overall, this is another great project and I think fit the land well.
Creativity: 8.5/10
Realism: 8.5/10

Mickeynerd17-CenterCore Expo Overhaul
Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, put it in a blender, **** on it, vomit on it, eat it, give birth to it.

Ok for the actual review, I thought it was hilarious. In a good way obviously. It was very fun, but also very scary because this is something I could see Chapek doing. A minor nitpick is that I think the formatting of the post could have been just a little bit better so there aren’t pictures that are super small and some other pictures being huge. Other than that, it was very fun.
Realism: 7.5/10
Detail: 4.5/5

Brer Panther - your candor and personalized presentation format was very endearing. And at some points pretty funny especially the dig at Frozen. I think this presentation shows how many interpretations of Seasons of Fantasy there could be - it is such a broad yet distinct theme that one can really get creative with the format. I think you made some small, yet solid changes to bring the realism of the land which was a contested affair down to a more manageable level. You were able to keep the spirit of the original while still putting your own flair on the land such as the NBC hay ride among others. Overall, another solid entry!

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 4/5
----------------------
Total - 22/25

Nigel - I think arguably this is the most realistic of the pitches, which I know may sound contradictory to other reviews (perhaps the one you just read* 😅 ) but this is why the more feedback you get the better. Because to me, realistically NBC is more than just Halloween, because if it was just Halloween, then there would be no Christmas overlay of HM in Disneyland. So to expand with this, given a scenario where NBC was popular, I think was a good move.

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 10/10
Detail - 4/5
----------------------
Total - 23/25

PerGron - Adventure Atoll was your brainchild and I think you did a great job with this expanding on the lore but more importantly I think for anyone who might have been mixed on it the first time, I think this went a long way to making the land as cohesive as possible.

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 4/5
----------------------
Total - 24/25

Outbound - I still haven't see this movie 🙃 at this point I might as well wait for it digitally. So it will be tough to grade in that regard, and moreover it seems a little out of left field for Disney to go this route. That said, my first ever post on the imagineer forum back in 2012 was an Inception redo of Imagination, so, I can't be too harsh.

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 8/10
Detail - 5/5
---------------------
Total - 22/25

b-wolf - Overall I think this fit the land well, I don't want to say it was simple in a negative sense, but simple in the fact that you got to the point and cogently explained your reasonings.

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 4/5
----------------------
Total - 23/25

Mickeynerd - I see you are catching on to how we do things around here. 😅 We will be watching your career with great interest. Chicken Little? It's a good gag, but if it was expecting to win, I'm not sure what to tell you lol. Very creative though.

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 7/10
Detail - 4/5
------------------------
Total - 21/25
Lol, I'm NOT expecting to win. I wanted to actually try to put Chicken Little in there despite what others have said here. This was more of an experiment than an actual attempt at winning.

But hey, if I do win, Buck Cluck will be pleased 🤣🤣.

Outbound

One thing I'll clarify for Tenet, because it seems most of you haven't seen it. The ride has nothing to do with the movie: the movie is about using the inversion tech to fight a Russian arms dealer working with agents from the future, the ride is Test Track but inspired by time inversion. If I could have realistically made the ride have nothing to do with Tenet and just use inversion tech in a Test Track setting, I would've, but then Tenet would have probably sued Disney so I just wrote it in as a ride deal. But the movie itself has nothing to do with the ride, and is more about taking CenterCore and doing something unique with it, because I think Epcot FutureWorld has a ton of potential compared to your average Tomorrowland.

goofyyukyuk

Brer Panther:

I like that you were aware of what could be changed and what didn’t need to be changed, particularly around the castle. The idea of bringing in Flowers and Trees and Pastoral Symphony were brilliant and out of the box ideas! I truly enjoyed seeing them represented, and I like the eclectic ideas of Thumper’s Thicket and the Ugly Bug Ball! I really appreciate the change from a 3D show to a open-air musical… I think that’s much better fitting both for the summer theme and Tangled as a whole. The Snuggly Duckling being a Gaston’s Tavern-esque restaurant is a great idea as well. I appreciate the uniqueness of a hay ride attraction, although I wonder about the feasibility of it… regardless, it is definitely a unique and creative solution to changing the ride system. Lastly, the Winter section sounds fantastic to me! I love the idea of changing Frozen to being a North Pole area, and I think that a Santa dark ride sounds crazy and really interesting at the same time. All in all, I truly appreciated the out of the box approach to this, and I think this actually improves the land a lot! Additionally, I think everything is pretty realistic and as detailed as is necessary for the prompt. This is basically exactly what I was picturing for this prompt, so congratulations… I give this a perfect score.

Realism: 10/10

Total: 25/25

Nigel:

I like the idea of a mini-land between Fall and Winter being themed to NMBC, and I think it’s really fitting. More importantly, making it Christmas Town is a great idea! I think it would be great to see all these different areas like the workshop, bakery, etc. I also like the idea of another simple attraction with Jack’s Rocking Reindeer. It seems like a great attraction for a transition area, and the idea of a snowball fight happening all around you sounds really cool. The kiddy coaster addition is a great idea as well, and I think it would be a great attraction that is also befitting of a minor land area like this. I’m really interested by how a meet and greet with Jack and Santa would work though haha! I will say that although I think this fits really well, this was an idea that Jokers brought up in our review podcast, which isn’t knocking anything on your conceptualization of it, I just think it’s funny. My only issue with this is it adds a third sub-sub-land to the sub-land of winter within Seasons of Fantasy. I would’ve been more on board with this if it was replacing one of the areas rather than adding to it, but great idea all in all!

PerGron:

First of all, good work actually addressing the addition of the Disneyland Aeronautics Station. I like that you expanded a little bit on the theming of it, making it seem really fitting for the land. I also really like the change with Sirens of Atlantis. I really appreciate using the queue to explain the submarines, and the way you explained it worked really well! Great idea bringing in more animal animatronics as well! I think you also did a great job with Plaza of Fortune in making the entire land more unified, which is exactly what we’re looking for. Great idea changing Escape of the Gem Dragon to an EMV attraction! The way you described the attraction is fantastic and would make it a true showstopper! The show was another great addition that I really appreciated. I think it fits the land really well and continues that theme of unifying the land. Overall, I really appreciated that you took an already impressive concept that you were passionate about and improved it. Great work, and I think I’m feeling super generous today because I’m giving this my second perfect score of the day!

Realism: 10/10

Total: 25/25

Outbound:

Okay. Okay. This was definitely not what I was expecting from this prompt. However, it is definitely a very very very creative idea. Obviously, you said in your project itself that it isn’t realistic at all, and it isn’t… I know it’s harder to follow in writing than it would be in real life, but wow, this is confusing lol. From what I understand of it, it would be a really interesting concept… I really like the ideas behind most of this stuff though. The driverless cars are a particularly creative element, and I think this attraction would actually have a ton of appeal because I think that this is probably the coolest attraction in terms of what I would want to ride; however, again, it’s a very high and unrealistic concept. So your creativity score is great… realism, not so much. Great work though, and I really do wish there was a way to see it in person!

Realism: 6/10

B-Wolf:

I think that your thought that you shouldn’t try doing a new spin on something already made really held you back, because the modifications you made, while good in their own right, seemed very minor. That being said, I enjoyed the idea of having a Castle of Nottingham and I thought it was a fantastic idea to have the actual Robin Hood characters in suits of armor! The wandering minstrels were another great touch! I think overall, you had some great ideas here that I would’ve loved to see expanded on in greater detail throughout more of the land beyond what you worked on.

Mickeynerd:

First off, I really enjoyed the satirical nature of this project, and it was definitely a bold decision to do something like this in the veto project, and I have to commend you for getting Chicken Little involved! As far as your actual project, it was… interesting to say the least. While I appreciate removing ties from Epcot in Tomorrowland, it felt really odd since the land is still super tied to Epcot, but the way you did it artistically genuinely made me laugh lol. I actually thought the idea to have a nighttime ticketed party was a great idea, but I think you went a little too far with the satire here lol because it’s actually a good idea. To be honest, the Expo Brew Tour and Expo Brewhouse is actually another really great idea, and in my humble opinion, if this had been done instead of SustainAbility (as great as it is), it would’ve hone a long way to making this more distinct from Epcot. I felt like the choice to replace Iron Man, which was the most out of place attraction in the land in my opinion, with Chicken Little makes sense in terms of the attraction it’s replacing. I just realized that you said that this is corresponding with a live action Chicken Little, and now I can’t stop laughing lol. Anyways, I thought the satire was appropriate here, and the story line is actually really well done. Of course, this entire land has even less cohesion than the original land, but I actually liked some of the improvements you made!

Realism: 6/10

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Week 6
Head of Household
Blue Sky Stages

1603512711532.png

One thing Blue Sky Disneyland feels like it's missing is a couple of large, grand shows that can keep massive groups of guests occupied for anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. Why don't we fix that? Your Head of Household challenge this week is to create two unique, large scale stage shows somewhere in the park, one indoors in a lavish Broadway-style theatre environment, the other outdoors to be located in your hub, Port Voyage. Communication will be key between the two groups to ensure that there is minimal overlap between your two shows. Keep in mind, the sky is the limit with this project. We expect some realism but many things are possible with theatrical technologies both indoors and outdoors.

Whoever stands out in their contributions to this project will be awarded Head of Household.

The Project will be due on Wednesday, October 28 at 11:59:59 PM EST/ 8:59:59 PM PST.​

Last edited:

Chaos Cat

The houseguests have voted: in an 8-1 vote...
@b-wolf95, you are sadly evicted from The House of the Future. Next prompt will be posted in a minute.
Saw that coming. I really blew it on the HoH prompt this week and I went too small-scale the Veto challenge.

That said, I had fun being here. Honestly, the fact that I made it this far is amazing. I was expecting to go home on, like, the first or second week. Not bad for an impulse entry.

And just to wrap things up:

> Unit has been eliminated.
> Reassigning unit from [participant] to [servant], as to assist the remaining participants as best Unit can.
> This is not so that Unit can have more opportunities to give @PerGron a most painful death.
> Honest

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Saw that coming. I really blew it on the HoH prompt this week and I went too small-scale the Veto challenge.

That said, I had fun being here. Honestly, the fact that I made it this far is amazing. I was expecting to go home on, like, the first or second week. Not bad for an impulse entry.

> Reassigning unit from [participant] to [servant], as to assist the remaining participants as best Unit can.
> This is not so that Unit can have more opportunities to give @PerGron a most painful death.
> Honest
10th place is nothing to sneeze at. You did a great job and we're sad to see you go.

spacemt354

Chili's

> Honest
B-wolf there will be future competitions and much like other newcomers like mickeynerd and more you have a very bright future!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom