1972 Super8 WDW Home Movie restored in HD - Final Film Released!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
There are two girls greeting Chip (Dale?) wearing red, white and blue color-block hats. I have a picture of me wearing the same hat standing by the flower stand on Main Street. Must have been a popular Disney souvenir back in 1972! (And I was there in June.)

wdwms

Original Poster
From their logbook, we are able to determine the exact date that this film was taken, July 23, 1972. WDW was just under 10 months old! Here are two scans of their log:

date.jpg

date2.jpg

pixiesteno

thank you so much for sharing, this was the very same year that I first went to WDW. Our trip sounded very much like your grandparents. We went the middle two weeks of Feb '72 and stopped at the very same requisite places on the "florida" trip. We also added time at Daytona 500, Daytona beach, and the required stops to visit relatives. Thank you for the memories!

wogwog

Outstanding. You are talented for certain. I have VHS made from 8mm of our first family visit at Disneyland 1955 and others off and on after that until video tape became the norm. Obviously not the same quality but priceless none the less. Fun to watch, but your WDW and my Disneyland only heightens my current bad opinion of Magic Igerland here in Florida.

I think I miss the former Town Square and Main ST the most. The Horse Trolly, the vehicles, the benches, oh my gosh the benches. Now we have Igermart and the horrid MiSiCi.

Last edited:

mattdenine

Thanks you for sharing this, as someone how never made it to WDW until recently its great to see the things that have changed and all of the things that are still the same. Seeing the charters just walking and interacting is great, I can only imagine the chaos it would cause today if Anna and Elsa just walked around. Also great job on restoring the video it turned out great.

NormC

Where did you send the 8mm film to get it scanned? I have been looking for a reputable telecine shop to do many family reels of old.

wdwms

Original Poster

Tom Morrow

Its amazing to me how simple the park looked. Honestly, very basic. Minimal landscaping. Being able to see the grassy fields and trees where Big Thunder and Splash will be is crazy. So is having a totally clear view outside of the park to the contemporary in Tomorrowland. They've come a long way.

Also interesting is that people look more calm and relaxed rather than stressed out.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the mound of dirt at 7:22 would be now? It's hard to tell, but my guess is for CoP.

wedway71

Thanks for posting this!!! I was born in 71 and have been going since the first year WDW opened. My best WDW memories are from the 70s....

wdwms

Original Poster
It can't be for Space Mountain, though, because the Tomorrowland Skyway station is to the left of it, which would put it about where CoP is.

Incorrect, at the bottom of the frame is the concrete berm of the speedway. We are working on pinpointing the exact location of the dirt for a new article on our site called "Secrets of '72".. this is one of the frames we will be analyzing..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom