1972 Super8 WDW Home Movie restored in HD - Final Film Released!

Sneezy62

There was a lot of construction going on that first year especially in Tomorrowland . Main St was gorgeous and Fantasyland was pretty much complete. Liberty Square and Adventureland looked really good but there were some things they were still working on. Frontierland was home of the longest line at Country Bear Jamboree, Pepsi and not much else. We never went in the summertime because of the horrendous crowds you can see in this video! Oh to be ten again and know what I know now. Thanks again for this look at a very special time and place.

PS. Apollo 16 and 17 were clearly visible from Tomorrowland if anyone has a video of that I'll just cry.

wdwms

Original Poster
PS. Apollo 16 and 17 were clearly visible from Tomorrowland if anyone has a video of that I'll just cry.

I don't have that, but I do have quite a bit of footage from the same trip of Kennedy Space Center.. good stuff! [well, the "Right Stuff!"]

wdwms

Original Poster
Well we weren't satisfied.... we're working to improve the restoration..
https://www.retrodisneyworld.com/re...-of-72-film-coming-tomorrow-comparison-photos

First, we want to thank everyone for the amazing response to our first restored WDW film (1972 Super8 WDW Home Movie restored in HD - Final Film Released!). Second, we need to say that we weren't satisfied with the results... yes I know, that sounds crazy, but something just wasn't right. The gamma was a bit too high and we felt we could tweak the scripts to make the picture even more amazing..

The still frames below show the improvements, pay particular attention to the rope, sign, fishing net, and the back of the boat. More details just pop out, wait until you see it in motion!

I'm happy to say that our CPU is blazing right now rendering an all new version of the '72 Magic Kingdom film... It will take over 8 hours to process 10,000+ frames, then we convert it to 30fps, and upload to Vimeo. The original Vimeo video will be updated, we'll announce when that is complete, shooting for tomorrow.

Original Scan from the transfer company
orig.jpg

First restoration - Released on 5/14/14
first.jpg

Second Restoration - In Process, due 5/17/14 or 5/18
new.jpg

harveyt0206

Oh how I miss the Skyway. What a beautiful time capsule you have here. Thank you so much for sharing. My husband and I both gasped when we saw the amazing footage of 20K. Such a cool ride that is sorely missed.

brokedad

475188396_295x166.jpg

In 1972 my grandparents took a road trip from New Jersey to Florida...armed with AAA highlighted maps of the I-95 east coast corridor they stopped at South of the Border, Marineland, Busch Gardens, Walt Disney World and a host of other attractions. To this day I still have the 3-ring binder that contains the handwritten account of their entire itinerary; hand written mileage logs, fuel stops, and notes. For many years I've had in my possession 700 feet of Super8 film taken by my grandparents that documented their entire trip. Recently, I had the footage converted and began to apply my film restoration techniques to the transfer. It's wonderful to see my late grandparents again and all the places they visited. What you see below is in the order that they filmed it; its as it happened.

The two reels together have a runtime of just over 40 minutes, but hidden in the middle of two reels is what I want to share with you - a bit over 9 minutes of rare early WDW home movie footage. What you are about to see is probably some of the earliest and most pristine looking film from Walt Disney World that you have ever seen. You'll be taken back to a time when Tomorrowland was incomplete, the old Frontierland Station still welcomed trains, the long lost West Street is adorned with flowers and you could see the Nautilus patrol the lagoon from the Skyway.

For those interested, the conversion and restoration process started with the original Super8 film being scanned in at a 1920x1080 resolution by Pixcel.com. I then applied a number of filters to remove grain, stabilize, sharpen and improve the color. From their I upconverted the film from its original 18 frames per second to 30 frames per second, this reduces flicker and jerky motion.

I have put in a lot of time refining my scripts and tuning the filters to ensure that the end result is nothing but the best. I was lucky that the film was in near perfect condition after 42 years of storage, making the conversion process a bit easier. I appreciate everyone's input and patience while I completed the restoration process. This is not the last; next up is the Magic Kingdom Parade from 1972...then we tackle 1975, 1978 and 1980.

With that said, enjoy our first Super8 film restoration!

Video here: https://www.retrodisneyworld.com/retrodisneyworld/imageworks-film-restoration-blog/1972-wdw-home-movie-in-hd-final-restoration
Excellent, you need to post more, hopefully if more people have movies to submit to you they will, great job.

wdwms

Original Poster
Thanks again for the wonderful comments... We will post more, i have the parade in '72 that is just about ready to go, the Magic Kingdom in '75, the parade from '75, an unknown reel of '78, and nearly 800 feet (48 minutes) of 1980 with sound..

I do hope people submit movies to us as well.. my goal is to create an amazing archive of WDW memories...

tl77

Well we weren't satisfied.... we're working to improve the restoration..
https://www.retrodisneyworld.com/re...-of-72-film-coming-tomorrow-comparison-photos

First, we want to thank everyone for the amazing response to our first restored WDW film (1972 Super8 WDW Home Movie restored in HD - Final Film Released!). Second, we need to say that we weren't satisfied with the results... yes I know, that sounds crazy, but something just wasn't right. The gamma was a bit too high and we felt we could tweak the scripts to make the picture even more amazing..

The still frames below show the improvements, pay particular attention to the rope, sign, fishing net, and the back of the boat. More details just pop out, wait until you see it in motion!

I'm happy to say that our CPU is blazing right now rendering an all new version of the '72 Magic Kingdom film... It will take over 8 hours to process 10,000+ frames, then we convert it to 30fps, and upload to Vimeo. The original Vimeo video will be updated, we'll announce when that is complete, shooting for tomorrow.

Original Scan from the transfer company
orig.jpg

First restoration - Released on 5/14/14
first.jpg

Second Restoration - In Process, due 5/17/14 or 5/18
new.jpg

This really looks amazing, It's great to see WDW way back in the beginning, but I've also had 4 years of film school so I know just how much work this all is, nice job, I really appreciate it

MickeyPeace

Thanks for your hard work on this. Invaluable treasure of a time capsule.

Teacups had no roof and a dizzying spiral pattern? Wow.

Also fun to see Snow White in its original form.

Appreciate all of your hard work!

Clamman73

The dirt pile...COP - took the liberty of a screen shot of your video to illustrate. As you continue in the video, the stage with the dancing people on stage is roughly about where the escalator up to Peoplemover would be put - to my best guess.
COP1.jpeg
oldCOP.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom