1970's Walt Disney World photos.

Walt Disney1955

My first trip was in 1991. But my dad went with my grandparents in 1973. They all loved it. My grandmother took the best picture possible in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I wish I had it. It was the "hell" scene with the large devil looking right at you. It was amazing. Good shot.

Also noticed there were more trees in front of the castle back then.

And how in the world was it not busy at that time? All they had was the MK, and then River Country in 1976. I am taking into account population inflation and even the fact that word might not have travelled as fast at that time (no internet, no cell phones). But in all honesty, what were the crowd levels at in the 1970s? Magic Kingdom had 17 million people in 2011.

RandeB

More people were waiting in a really long line, even for the Country Bear Jamboree, or sitting in a full Hall of Presidents or other attraction that is mostly ignored these days?

The Empress Lilly

The MK in old pics always looks empty because:

The MK drew about ten million visitors annually, instead of seventeen.

The MK was open for more hours, thus spreading the crowds throughout the day.

The MK had more attractions than today. Perhaps that where the people were at.

The walkways had less clutter, from endless food stalls to a stupid Alladin spinner to 'random crates with pun stenciled on'.

People used less space: we were less bulky, carried less goods around, and kids in the 70s/80s commonly had managed the art of walking before the age of nine so less strollers

Walt Disney1955

The walkways had less clutter, from endless food stalls to a stupid Alladin spinner to 'random crates with pun stenciled on'.

People used less space: we were less bulky, carried less goods around, and kids in the 70s/80s commonly had managed the art of walking before the age of nine so less strollers

Agree with most of that except the attractions part. If you look at the early 1970s at WDW you'll see there is no Toontown and Tomorrowland looks deserted. There wasn't Space Mountain until 1975 among other things. There was Toad, Mickey Mouse Revue, etc. in the Fantasyland but things have replaced those since. There wasn't Splash. There wasn't Tom Sawyer Island in the beginning or even Pirates until 1973 and they didn't have things there in its place.

Minnie1976

scan0009-1.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Not true.

hpyhnt 1000

^Now there is something you would never see today, a topiary garden along the side of the road. We're lucky to get new mulch and a DVC billboard these days.

Minnie1976

Wow, so THAT'S what WDW pavement looks like! :D
I don't remember seeing a lot of strollers that people would bring to Disney, if any. I know we always rented one. If you drove in the 70's, the stroller would take up almost the whole car trunk and no room for luggage. I think it may have been $2 to rent and you received a $1 back when you returned it. No one stood up on the monorail so there was really no room for strollers. There were benches so everyone sat down. I also don't remember CM's being in charge of moving strollers around. Our rented stroller was always where we left it. Times have definitely changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom