News 1900 Park Fare at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort reopening in April 2024

Bocabear

Because what was there before was the pinnacle of immersion, right? :rolleyes:
heck no...it was always a disappointing space ...like someone else said, it always looked like a conference room with a temporary boring restaurant setup... Perhaps in person it looks better now... But it has always felt like a missed opportunity to do something really beautiful and on-theme. Hard to applaud what appears to be very little in terms of theming... Is it better than it was? Yes, but that is not a high bar... Knowing this is a money maker, and will probanly not be updated for decades, What if it really was fully imagineered and designed to look like a gilded age seaside resort dining room...but on steroids... designed around the characters...instead of a room with pictures of the characters on the walls and a lineup of B-list celebs... Yes this is passable.... but from what I can see, certainly not a wow, and not memorable.... especially for the price tag...

Bocabear

I mean, we can say this for all the character meals lol.
That is the truth...but should it be that way? especially with the price?
I will certainly applaud them when they do great things....and I would love to be wowed... Heck, I would love them to do a character meal that is so spectacular that even adults without kids would be drawn to it...just because it is so well done... Jabba's Palace in SWGE? Happy Haunts Ball by the Haunted Mansion? Tiana's Palace? Intergalactic Diner in Tomorrowland? There are tons of opportunities to do something amazing... Each park should have at least a couple immersive dining experiences...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you mean? Belle's blue dress is clearly far more feminine and pretty than this hideous getup they have Tiana in. Tiana's looks like the stuff they make the janitor or front desk people wear
It is a peasant dress.

It is.

You're making the point it's not because it's pretty. Being pretty has nothing to do with it.

You know that's an apron she has on so she can do household and farm chores, right?

Stop telling me it's pretty and feminine, that doesn't preclude it from being a peasant dress.

And the point of it being a peasant dress on one of Disney's princesses, is that it shouldn't be scandalous that Tiana is wearing an adventurer's costume. And just like people don't have an aversion to M&G with Belle in her peasant dress, then it's highly unlikely people will have an aversion to meeting Tiana out of her princess gown.

DisneyDodo

It’s telling that they didn’t include Asha in this lineup, considering that her movie is literally called “Wish.” Of course the movie bombed at the BO, but it’s clear that Disney doesn’t have high hopes for a turnaround for this IP on D+ (FWIW I just watched the movie and I thought it was pretty bad).

Asha would have been a much more natural fit for this theme than Mirabel, who isn’t really strongly associated with the “wishing” concept in any way. Tiana wishes on a star, Aladdin is granted 3 wishes, Cinderella sings “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes,” but there’s nothing particularly “wishy” about Encanto (sure, the characters have desires, but that’s true of anyone). Mirabel is obviously here only due to her popularity, in contrast to Asha’s lack thereof.

tallica

Seriously, who picked this group of characters? They must have been throwing darts and hit these four. So much for theming.
Heard a rumor that it was supposed be characters from the movie "Wish". The movie was a major failure and they were left scrambling for a new concept. Disney thought they had the next "Frozen" and that the "Wish" characters would be in high demand. They had to choose face characters they already had hired and available.

Animaniac93-98

It’s telling that they didn’t include Asha in this lineup, considering that her movie is literally called “Wish.” Of course the movie bombed at the BO, but it’s clear that Disney doesn’t have high hopes for a turnaround for this IP on D+ (FWIW I just watched the movie and I thought it was pretty bad).

Asha would have been a much more natural fit for this theme than Mirabel, who isn’t really strongly associated with the “wishing” concept in any way. Tiana wishes on a star, Aladdin is granted 3 wishes, Cinderella sings “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes,” but there’s nothing particularly “wishy” about Encanto (sure, the characters have desires, but that’s true of anyone). Mirabel is obviously here only due to her popularity, in contrast to Asha’s lack thereof.

There's a big painting of Asha on the wall.

Probably commissioned and fabricated before the box office run had finished.

pdude81

Heard a rumor that it was supposed be characters from the movie "Wish". The movie was a major failure and they were left scrambling for a new concept. Disney thought they had the next "Frozen" and that the "Wish" characters would be in high demand. They had to choose face characters they already had hired and available.
It's not a bad movie, and my son loves it. To me it's aggressively mediocre, and I was kind of frustrated with how they missed the mark. Then I watched Trolls 3 (garbage IMO) and felt much better about Wish. It's just not for me.

pdude81

I guess I’m in the minority but I actually loved Wish. Great characters, great songs, I loved the Easter eggs and all the characters in the credits. I thought it was a great way to celebrate 100 years. A Wish themed character meal would have been so cool.
I would definitely have welcomed it. Especially if they figured out a way to bring in Valentino like they do Eeyore at CP.

dothebrdwalk

I ate at 1900 Park Fare years ago and found it be be SO dissapoionting. Just a giant, loud, hotel ballroom. The new characters do breathe some life into it. Mirabel, Tiana (who while I love the new costume but doesn't need to meet in the ride costume here...), and Aladdin are exciting choices- Cinderella is a boring 4th choice. Could have used another character too. 4 just doesn't seem enough for that giant, loud, ballroom.

pdude81

I ate at 1900 Park Fare years ago and found it be be SO dissapoionting. Just a giant, loud, hotel ballroom. The new characters do breathe some life into it. Mirabel, Tiana (who while I love the new costume but doesn't need to meet in the ride costume here...), and Aladdin are exciting choices- Cinderella is a boring 4th choice. Could have used another character too. 4 just doesn't seem enough for that giant, loud, ballroom.
Agreed on her being boring in this version. The stepsisters were the stars of the prior version of this meal IMO. Cinderella without them or Prince Charming is easily seen elsewhere. I enjoyed it before, and will give it another shot to see how this version compares.

seabreezept813

I guess I’m in the minority but I actually loved Wish. Great characters, great songs, I loved the Easter eggs and all the characters in the credits. I thought it was a great way to celebrate 100 years. A Wish themed character meal would have been so cool.
My girls are obsessed with it, they would have been in heaven. King Magnifico would’ve been so fun to meet

Chef idea Mickey`=

Ahhhh 🤔 makes sense now why they have this lineup to begin with..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom